Last 'Civil War' widow dies

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
He was 93, she was 17.

Missouri woman believed to be the last widow of a Civil War soldier dies at 101

Helen Viola Jackson's 1936 marriage to James Bolin was unusual to say the least: He was 93 and in declining health, and she was a 17-year-old schoolgirl.

Bolin was also a Civil War veteran who fought for the Union in the border state of Missouri. Jackson was almost certainly the last remaining widow of a Civil War soldier when she died Dec. 16 at a nursing home in Marshfield, Missouri. She was 101.

Missouri woman believed to be the last widow of a Civil War soldier dies at 101 - CBS News

Now that must of been a very strange relationship. I wonder how much money the old man had. I also wonder about the IQ of Helen.
of
I'm thinking along the same lines. She may of been in some ways like the Anna Nicole Smith of her day, well, except she didn't die nearly as young as Anna.

Guess I should have read the link before I commented. It was during the great depression. She was serving as his caretaker. He offered to marry her so she could collect his pension. She took him up on it. It was a marriage on paper only. She never lived with him and apparently they didn't consummate the marriage. Then after he died she didn't even collect his pension or tell anyone she was "married" to him because she was too embarrassed.

So in my opinion there should be an "*" by the statement that she is the last civil war widow.

Last edited:
Guess I should have read the link before I commented. It was during the great depression. She was serving as his caretaker. He offered to marry her so she could collect his pension. She took him up on it. It was a marriage on paper only. She never lived with him and apparently they didn't consummate the marriage. Then after he die she didn't even collect his pension or tell anyone she was "married" to him because she was too embarrassed.

So in my opinion there should be an "*" by the statement that she is the last civil war widow.
I was going to say that I read something within a year ago about the last civil war pension check going out to someone who through some obscure means managed to collect $12 a month finally dying at well over 100 years old.

The devastation democrooks have caused this country will continue to be a problem for centuries, but I suspect the powers behind the throne will collapse the institutions and the currency before much longer and create a crisis that will make the civil war look like a high school food fight. They want to cull the herd after all.

1. Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature.

That's a pretty significant reduction. Mao and Stalin must me looking up from hell and saying...

1610125786433.png

Guess I should have read the link before I commented. It was during the great depression. She was serving as his caretaker. He offered to marry her so she could collect his pension. She took him up on it. It was a marriage on paper only. She never lived with him and apparently they didn't consummate the marriage. Then after he died she didn't even collect his pension or tell anyone she was "married" to him because she was too embarrassed.

Yes, I was thinking along those same lines.

Now that must of been a very strange relationship. I wonder how much money the old man had. I also wonder about the IQ of Helen.
of

I believe it was actually a common thing at that time. 1936, when she married him, would have been the middle of the Great Depression, remember. For elderly veterans without any relatives or close friends, it was a good deal to marry a woman who would need the money to exchange that pension as a widow for someone to take care of them as they died. And it would have been a good and smart deal from her point of view, as well.

For quite a while now, all the "Civil War widows" that have been dying have been along the same lines: young women who exchanged caretaking for an elderly Civil War vet for the ability to collect his pension as his widow.

Which sounds greedy and mercenary until you consider that those are sort of the roles you sign up for when you get married, anyway . . . or they were back then.

Guess I should have read the link before I commented. It was during the great depression. She was serving as his caretaker. He offered to marry her so she could collect his pension. She took him up on it. It was a marriage on paper only. She never lived with him and apparently they didn't consummate the marriage. Then after he die she didn't even collect his pension or tell anyone she was "married" to him because she was too embarrassed.

I was going to say that I read something within a year ago about the last civil war pension check going out to someone who through some obscure means managed to collect $12 a month finally dying at well over 100 years old.

The devastation democrooks have caused this country will continue to be a problem for centuries, but I suspect the powers behind the throne will collapse the institutions and the currency before much longer and create a crisis that will make the civil war look like a high school food fight. They want to cull the herd after all.

1. Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature.

That's a pretty significant reduction. Mao and Stalin must me looking up from hell and saying...

View attachment 439403
$12/month was a nice chunk of money during the great depression.

For quite a while now, all the "Civil War widows" that have been dying have been along the same lines: young women who exchanged caretaking for an elderly Civil War vet for the ability to collect his pension as his widow.

Which sounds greedy and mercenary until you consider that those are sort of the roles you sign up for when you get married, anyway . . . or they were back then.
I agree, it would of been a good business deal for both involved.

I agree, it would of been a good business deal for both involved.

So long as everyone's honest about what's happening.

of

I believe it was actually a common thing at that time. 1936, when she married him, would have been the middle of the Great Depression, remember. For elderly veterans without any relatives or close friends, it was a good deal to marry a woman who would need the money to exchange that pension as a widow for someone to take care of them as they died. And it would have been a good and smart deal from her point of view, as well.
she never took his pension

of

she never took his pension

No, that's true. Seems like she felt after he died that people would think the wrong thing. I guess she wasn't wrong there.

Forum List

Back