Last Black That Fought on D-Day Gets Called Home

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
The Army was segregated at the time, his battalion was assigned to establish barrage balloons on Omaha and Utah beaches. I believe 6 in his battalion were killed by German snipers.
1625861908490.jpeg

Rightly, or wrongly, Blacks didn't really 'fight' at D-Day...they were in the rear with the gear. They were in support units. There were some active air units...not during D-Day, But blacks were primarily not on the front lines in WW2.

Rightly, or wrongly, Blacks didn't really 'fight' at D-Day...they were in the rear with the gear. They were in support units. There were some active air units...not during D-Day, But blacks were primarily not on the front lines in WW2.
Omaha and Utah on 6/6/44 was the front line of front lines.

Last edited:
Yes, and no. I mean. I guess we can consider anything within 20 miles of actual engagement the front lines. I am not claiming that blacks did not engage the enemy. However, we must be careful to laud these guys as the 'tip of the spear' so to speak.

Yes, and no. I mean. I guess we can consider anything within 20 miles of actual engagement the front lines. I am not claiming that blacks did not engage the enemy. However, we must be careful to laud these guys as the 'tip of the spear' so to speak.
These guys were tip of the spear. 6 in their brigade were killed that day.

I didn't say they were completely out of danger. There were units who has casualty rates in the 70th percentile. Stop propagating known untruths.

I didn't say they were completely out of danger. There were units who has casualty rates in the 70th percentile. Stop propagating known untruths.
Stop acting like these men were not critical to the victory of D-Day.

Stop acting like these men were not critical to the victory of D-Day.
I didn't say they were not vital. Mess cooks, supply clerks, and motor pool mechanics move the Army. But leading the charge against the Germans? No...no.

A battalion has about a thousand men. Statistically speaking 6 KIA is a pretty low figure. WW2 Heroes, white and black, die every day.

Forum List

Back