Larry Elder says employers should be allowed to ask women if they plan to have children

What's the point?

Interview: Do you plan on having children?

No.

2 years later: I'm pregnant and will need maternity leave.

I thought you said you didn't plan on having children?

Things change.

i respect women more than anyone else in the history of the world, and this is horrifying

No employer should be able to ask that question from a prospective employee.

First of all it's none of their business.

Second, it's discrimination. I didn't see that man say that employers should ask men if they plan to have children.

This man doesn't belong anywhere in government.

The responses here are incredible. Are you people brainwashed or stupid? Seriously.

If a woman comes to work in a responsible position, then has a baby, she will be off work for 6 months. Then she will be off work periodically for the next 18 years, as she attends to mommy stuff. She will call in "sick" not only when she is sick but when any of her offspring are sick - and she will lie about it. She will not be willing to travel overnight, and CERTAINLY would not be willing to accept a long term remote assignment or accept a transfer for the benefit of the company. She will be very reluctant to work overtime or weekends. For the next 18 years, minimum.

And this is NONE OF THE EMPLOYER'S BUSINESS???????

Gimmeafukkinbreak. Are you stupid or what?

And don't tell me "I know a woman who..." That is irrelevant. The great probability is that all of the above employment-related bullshit will occur.

And if she says she does not intend to have kids then has them, she should be terminated for lying.

You can't have it all, baby. If you choose to be a mother, good for you, but it will compromise your ability to be a "professional" employee.

^^^ I get what you mean there, but a person can be in that position even when they don't have kids. I work with a girl who doesn't have any, but sadly her parents eventually became more to deal with now with due to whatever their health issues are.

God bless you and her always!!!

Holly

Forum List

Back