LaPalma eruption??

skookerasbil

Platinum Member
Aug 6, 2009
Not the middle of nowhere
So the Canary Islands have been experiencing numerous earthquakes in recent days. What has me concerned is this island named LaPalma. Saw something on Discovery several years ago that this particular volcano has some kind of steam gathering process inside the core that makes it a candidate to completely blow thus sending half of the mountain into the Atlantic and causing a mega-tsunami that would completely destroy the eastern coastline of the US. Like 1,000 feet high.......like all eastern seaboard cities.........gone in a few seconds.:ack-1::ack-1::ack-1:

Volcano warning: Canary Islands panic as earthquakes hit La Palma – 40 tremors in 48 hours

Was hoping Ray could chime in on this..........is there any correlation between earthquake activity and the stability of this volcano??

oh gee-------and my house is such a mess------oh gee----will I have time to clean up?

So the Canary Islands have been experiencing numerous earthquakes in recent days. What has me concerned is this island named LaPalma. Saw something on Discovery several years ago that this particular volcano has some kind of steam gathering process inside the core that makes it a candidate to completely blow thus sending half of the mountain into the Atlantic and causing a mega-tsunami that would completely destroy the eastern coastline of the US. Like 1,000 feet high.......like all eastern seaboard cities.........gone in a few seconds.:ack-1::ack-1::ack-1:

Volcano warning: Canary Islands panic as earthquakes hit La Palma – 40 tremors in 48 hours

Was hoping Ray could chime in on this..........is there any correlation between earthquake activity and the stability of this volcano??

The study the mega-tsunami prediction was based on has been roundly critiqued as a worst worst worst pretty much impossible worst case scenario.

And it wouldn't be a few seconds, the wave would take 7 hours to reach the US, leading to hours of chaos, and would take additional hours to work its way inland and back.

The study the mega-tsunami prediction was based on has been roundly critiqued as a worst worst worst pretty much impossible worst case scenario.

And it wouldn't be a few seconds, the wave would take 7 hours to reach the US, leading to hours of chaos, and would take additional hours to work its way inland and back.

Gotcha......no I meant once the wave reached the shore here........and you are correct............7-8 hours to get here. The computer animation was like nothing I ever saw.........just jaw dropping. Like to survive in New York, you'd have to be at least up to Albany!! A joke.

Gotcha......no I meant once the wave reached the shore here........and you are correct............7-8 hours to get here. The computer animation was like nothing I ever saw.........just jaw dropping. Like to survive in New York, you'd have to be at least up to Albany!! A joke.

I think you would be OK on one of the higher catskill peaks. Hell Albany would probably be flooded because the hudson valley would channelize the flow straight up it.

i'd also like to hear about the ARK Mamooth . Whats the reasoning behind building it ??

To prepare for imminent flooding due to climate change. Had the whole retro-look last I saw..........definitely sea-worthy vessel though. Guy sure is resilient if nothing else.......even after me and others making fun, he soldiered on with the project...........photo's here in one of these threads.

Often there is, but not always. However, I believe the Canary Island case is overstated.

The Canary Islands landslide-induced tsunami scare

Not so for the Hawaiian Islands.

When the Hawaiian Islands collapse and fall apart in landslides

One of those collapses sent a major tsunami many miles inland in Northeastern Australia.

Often there is, but not always. However, I believe the Canary Island case is overstated.

The Canary Islands landslide-induced tsunami scare

Not so for the Hawaiian Islands.

When the Hawaiian Islands collapse and fall apart in landslides

One of those collapses sent a major tsunami many miles inland in Northeastern Australia.

Ray I'm assuming you are familiar with the geological situation inside that volcano........increase over time of steam chambers that can build up tremendous pressure possibly triggering a gigantic explosion. I guess my questions I, do these earthquakes have the ability to perhaps rupture one of these or several of these chambers and cause a sudden release of that pressure = part of the mountain falling into the sea??

While that can happen, it has happened in the past many times as a slower, multiple smaller slides. Also has happened as a single block, and resulted in van sized boulders from the sea bottom being tossed as much as 650 ft above sea level on a nearby island. That was about 72,000 years ago. I have also read of similar coral rock in Florida that have been found inland, but, of course, at much lower elevation. The article I read at the time stated that researchers were divided between a very large storm or tsunami. Also, no dates on the debris. I'll see if I can find anything current on that.

So, yes, a volcanic eruption can trigger a flank collapse, but odds are it will be in sections, over time. However, there is a chance of a single large slide that would trigger a mega-tsunami for the islands close by, and there is evidence of this type of tsunami creating havoc thousands of miles across the ocean. Kind of like the danger of getting hit by lightning. Pretty damned small, but it does happen. Real bummer if you pick the winning ticket.

While that can happen, it has happened in the past many times as a slower, multiple smaller slides. Also has happened as a single block, and resulted in van sized boulders from the sea bottom being tossed as much as 650 ft above sea level on a nearby island. That was about 72,000 years ago. I have also read of similar coral rock in Florida that have been found inland, but, of course, at much lower elevation. The article I read at the time stated that researchers were divided between a very large storm or tsunami. Also, no dates on the debris. I'll see if I can find anything current on that.

So, yes, a volcanic eruption can trigger a flank collapse, but odds are it will be in sections, over time. However, there is a chance of a single large slide that would trigger a mega-tsunami for the islands close by, and there is evidence of this type of tsunami creating havoc thousands of miles across the ocean. Kind of like the danger of getting hit by lightning. Pretty damned small, but it does happen. Real bummer if you pick the winning ticket.

Flank collapses are most commonly caused by unstable sections of the volcano responding to uplift from magma intrusion. Thus they can cause an eruption (usually phreatomagmatic), but are rarely the result of one.

Well that kinds sucks Ray......where I am at, I might as well march down to the shore and end it as per that movie that ends with the father and daughter embracing on a beach while they get hit with a 1,000 foot tsunami ( cant remember the name of the film ) that washes away part of the Catskill mountains. Not sure where Mamooth lives but maybe I hit him up to get on board his emergency ark although not sure it is seaworthy enough for a mega-tsunami.

Flank collapses are most commonly caused by unstable sections of the volcano responding to uplift from magma intrusion. Thus they can cause an eruption (usually phreatomagmatic), but are rarely the result of one.

West.........my understanding though is this particular volcano has some unique dynamic of massive cores of space in between sections of rock that gets massive steam buildup, thus, this pressure becomes the big concern.

West.........my understanding though is this particular volcano has some unique dynamic of massive cores of space in between sections of rock that gets massive steam buildup, thus, this pressure becomes the big concern.

Flank collapse only happens when you have a very steeply sided volcano (way beyond the angle of repose) that gives way, usually along a particular plane, created by multiple layers of volcanic ash being deposited over millenia. As magma intrudes underneath the resulting bulge quite literally pushes the slab of mountain over. The most common way it happens is for the entire region (hundreds of kilometers in some cases) to break loose and plummet down to the lowest level it can attain. It is a gravity fueled situation.

When the slab releases, it will oftentimes allow sea water into direct contact with the magma chamber, and that results in a huuuuuuuuge explosion. Krakatoa is a recent example. The sound from that explosion was heard over 3,000 miles away, and that explosion will obliterate the slab before it can have too great an impact. There will still be a tsunami,, it just will be a result of the blast wave, and not the slab of mountain falling into the ocean.

Mt. Saint Helens was likewise a flank collapse that then led to an eruption. Here is a good video for that made up of a series of stills that were taken during the collapse.

Flank collapse only happens when you have a very steeply sided volcano (way beyond the angle of repose) that gives way, usually along a particular plane, created by multiple layers of volcanic ash being deposited over millenia. As magma intrudes underneath the resulting bulge quite literally pushes the slab of mountain over. The most common way it happens is for the entire region (hundreds of kilometers in some cases) to break loose and plummet down to the lowest level it can attain. It is a gravity fueled situation.

When the slab releases, it will oftentimes allow sea water into direct contact with the magma chamber, and that results in a huuuuuuuuge explosion. Krakatoa is a recent example. The sound from that explosion was heard over 3,000 miles away, and that explosion will obliterate the slab before it can have too great an impact. There will still be a tsunami,, it just will be a result of the blast wave, and not the slab of mountain falling into the ocean.

Mt. Saint Helens was likewise a flank collapse that then led to an eruption. Here is a good video for that made up of a series of stills that were taken during the collapse.

So let me get this straight..............and Ray, maybe you can chime in on this............if Mt St Helens happens in the middle of the ocean, is that gonna set off a mega-tsunami??

So let me get this straight..............and Ray, maybe you can chime in on this............if Mt St Helens happens in the middle of the ocean, is that gonna set off a mega-tsunami??

If the slide occurs underwater there will be a tsunami whose size will be determined by how much material is displaced, on the other hand, if it is above water there can be a pretty tremendous splash (Lituya Bay had an earthquake in 1958 that dropped millions of tons of rock into the bay and the splash marks on the opposite side of the bay were 1,700 up the side) that will affect the close by land, and then the subsequent tsunami is once again dependent on the total amount of land that drops into the water.

Forum List

Back