Lake Mead Shrivels

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Lakemeadshrinks.gif

Living in Vegas, this hits home. It's where we get our water from. Why is this happening? Simple. Too many people demanding something that has never been available in great quantities. The same thing going on here that's going on in California.

Keep it up and we'll see a lot more of these:

th

Read more @ Lake Mead Shrivels to Historic Low Level. In Just Two Years, the Change is Dramatic Enough to be Visible from Space - ImaGeo | DiscoverMagazine.com

San Francisco gets a lot of water from Lake Berryessa up in Napa valley. While I was at Mare Island for an overhaul, they had an 18 month drought. The lake's level dropped over 70 feet. People with docks had to stake ladders to the lake bottom and climb down well over a hundred feet to get to their boats.

But don't worry. I'm sure this will be offset by new water supplies from what had been snow and ice up north. Right?

Last edited:
Lake Mead gettin' smaller and smaller...

Water's Edge: A Shrinking River Threatens the U.S. Southwest
The desert sun beats down from a cloudless sky as Las Vegas landscaper Mat Baroudi roars across Lake Mead in his motorboat.
It’s hot. The lake is the perfect place to be on a scorching Nevada morning. Baroudi loves coming out here with his son to fish and swim. But for the last few years, they have watched the lake shrink from under them. “Every time we come out here, we’re shocked by how much water’s missing,” Baroudi shouted over the roar of the engine. To get an idea how far the nation’s largest reservoir has fallen, consider this: What was once one of Lake Mead’s top scuba-diving spots is now halfway up a dry hillside.

cement-plant-1_2x.jpg

Scuba divers used to swim down to this section of the old concrete plant that helped build Hoover Dam. Parked at the water's edge, boaters can be seen beginning the climb up to it. Only the brown tip of the island is above water when Lake Mead is full.​

Baroudi steers the boat past an island with a squat, beige cylinder the width of a basketball court. It looks a bit like a concrete UFO. It was part of the plant that churned out 4,360,000 cubic yards of concrete to build Hoover Dam, a couple miles over the hills to the southeast. The plant disappeared into the murky depths in the 1930s when the dam was completed and the reservoir filled. “Now look at it,” Baroudi said. The structure sits beached on a rocky outcrop looking down on the lake it helped create. Reaching it is no longer a dive. It’s a climb. Hoover Dam was built to store the waters of the fickle Colorado River, taming floods, relieving droughts and pouring life into the desert southwestern United States.

hoover-dam-historic_2x.jpg

The Hoover Dam was built in the 1930s to control the Colorado River and store its waters. But from the very beginning, experts overestimated how much water the river could provide.​

Lake Mead anchors the lower half of the river basin, a system that provides water to nearly 40 million people in seven U.S. states. Cities from San Diego to Denver drink from the Colorado. The river irrigates more than 5 million acres of farmland, including California’s Imperial Valley and Arizona’s Yuma County, two areas that supply the nation with most of its vegetables through the winter season. Both would be barren without its waters. As Lake Mead recedes, it has left a white stripe of mineral deposits 14 stories tall across the brown and red rock walls, as if to underline a question: Have we overreached?

MORE

Lake Mead is getting smaller because too many people are using it? Ridiculous! Everyone knows humans have zero impact on the earth, it's resources, or the environment! :mad:
hahahahahhahahahahahaha another illiterate post by a lib. Lake Meade is man made f00l. wow the stoopid in here never takes a day off.

Lake Mead is getting smaller because too many people are using it? Ridiculous! Everyone knows humans have zero impact on the earth, it's resources, or the environment! :mad:
hahahahahhahahahahahaha another illiterate post by a lib. Lake Meade is man made f00l. wow the stoopid in here never takes a day off.
Impossible. Man has no impact on anything!

Lol "man made." Okay "man made" cultist! :rofl:

yep man made and man used it up. So nothing unusual about it. No climate, no warming, man used it up.

yep man made and man used it up. So nothing unusual about it. No climate, no warming, man used it up.
:rofl:

LOL at man altering the Earth!!! :rofl:

You cultists are insane!!! :lmao:

i give two hoots if the water is gone, I don't live there. It will turn back into a river like it was before the dam went in.

Lake Mead almost gone...
icon_omg.gif

With Extended Drought, Biggest US Reservoir at Lowest Level Ever
May 30, 2016 - The 16-year drought in parts of the western United States has dropped the water level in the country's largest reservoir at Lake Mead to its lowest level in its 81-year history.
When full, the lake — straddling the Nevada-Arizona state border that was formed with the construction of the Hoover Dam during the Great Depression of the 1930s — has a surface elevation of more than 370 meters above sea level. It provides crucial water to the two states and also California, including Los Angeles, the country's second-biggest city.

54D94174-CBB2-48EB-9677-627BE8D9040B_w640_r1_s_cx0_cy17_cw0.jpg

The image shows Lake Mead on the Nevada-Arizona state border at its lowest point ever, taken by the Thematic Mapper on the Landsat 5 satellite, May 2016.​

But the Lake Mead level has been falling during the extended drought that has parched farmlands in the west and led to water rationing. In the last week, the recorded lake level fell to 327 meters above sea level. Lake Mead is currently at 37 percent of capacity and its shoreline has the distinctive look of a dirty bath tub, with rings marking where water levels once were.

D770B74C-227D-4E10-85EB-838A5D9EC2DE_w640_s.jpg

The image shows Lake Mead on the Nevada-Arizona state border at its highest point ever, taken by the Thematic Mapper on the Landsat 5 satellite, May 1984.​

Melting snowpacks that feed the lake from the Colorado River have diminished over the years. Emergency measures could be implemented if the water levels continue to fall throughout 2016, but the agency that manages the lake is predicting that its level could rise slightly in the coming months.

With Extended Drought, Biggest US Reservoir at Lowest Level Ever

i give two hoots if the water is gone, I don't live there. It will turn back into a river like it was before the dam went iofn.
jc, you are incapable of giving two hoots about anything, including sanity. Lake Mead and so many other diminishing reservoirs are critical to a great many people in the West. That you don't give a flying fuck about your fellow Americans is indictative of your moral character.

Some idiot here in calif said since we have snow pack and got some rain, the water restrictions can be lifted. Know what the locals said? Fuck you. We will continue the restriction. However, the elites in Hollyweird will jump on that dictations with joy while the rest of us conserve.

i give two hoots if the water is gone, I don't live there. It will turn back into a river like it was before the dam went iofn.
jc, you are incapable of giving two hoots about anything, including sanity. Lake Mead and so many other diminishing reservoirs are critical to a great many people in the West. That you don't give a flying fuck about your fellow Americans is indictative of your moral character.
How does the fact that lake mead having no water my fault exactly? It's a man made lake that wasn't big enough to support its population boom! You're hilarious

How does the fact that lake mead having no water my fault exactly? It's a man made lake that wasn't big enough to support its population boom! You're hilarious
I did not state that the lack of water in Lake Mead was your fault. What I stated was that you have a totally shitty attitude toward your fellow Americans.

I did not state that the lack of water in Lake Mead was your fault. What I stated was that you have a totally shitty attitude toward your fellow Americans.
How? What exactly did I do? I didn't let water run to the ocean so all there suffer. Stop voting for liberals who hate humans.

Think trump

Ah! We finally have the explanation. You've been "Thinking Trump" all this time. That covers just about everything.

Do you think there might be a connection between droughts and rainfall? Why don't you look up precipitation patters for the southwest and see what you can learn (or unlearn) there?

Ah! We finally have the explanation. You've been "Thinking Trump" all this time. That covers just about everything.

Do you think there might be a connection between droughts and rainfall? Why don't you look up precipitation patters for the southwest and see what you can learn (or unlearn) there?
perhaps you should look up what causes droughts. Cause it is obvious you don't. If California got all of it's expected water, it is not in a drought. Explain why you think it is in a drought?

Forum List

Back