LA County District Attorney George Gascon's 1st day in office: ends death penalty, cash bail, trying children as adults, criminalizing mental health

this guy gets the job done. elections mean change!

He can't actually end any of these things. All he can do as a prosecutor is not ask for them. The judge can impose anything.

Actually he can. Take the Death Penalty. The Prosecutor announces that he is seeking it during the preliminary stage. This places requirements on the court for the experience and qualifications of the Defense Team. If not announced the Jury or Judge may not sentence the Defendant to Death.

Oh. This probably saved the taxpayers several million dollars every year by the way.

By not filing the Special Circumstances charges. The Judge can not give harsher sentences based upon them. The maximum as well as minimum is set is the law. So even if the Judge was to throw the book. It could not exceed the maximum by law.

Bail? The “people” ask for either continued detention or a high bail. If instead the prosecutor does not oppose the request for release, then the judge has to justify why Bail is set or why pretrial release was denied.

So the Prosecutor can do pretty much all of that. And more.

Crime will skyrocket.

He can't actually end any of these things. All he can do as a prosecutor is not ask for them. The judge can impose anything.

Actually he can. Take the Death Penalty. The Prosecutor announces that he is seeking it during the preliminary stage. This places requirements on the court for the experience and qualifications of the Defense Team. If not announced the Jury or Judge may not sentence the Defendant to Death.

Oh. This probably saved the taxpayers several million dollars every year by the way.

By not filing the Special Circumstances charges. The Judge can not give harsher sentences based upon them. The maximum as well as minimum is set is the law. So even if the Judge was to throw the book. It could not exceed the maximum by law.

Bail? The “people” ask for either continued detention or a high bail. If instead the prosecutor does not oppose the request for release, then the judge has to justify why Bail is set or why pretrial release was denied.

Crime will skyrocket.

It did in Portland, Seattle, San Francisco and New York. Los Angeles will follow the same way. Being California they will do it bigger, better and badder. There is no Constitutional right to commit a crime. No matter how many criminals think there is.

Crime will skyrocket.

It did in Portland, Seattle, San Francisco and New York. Los Angeles will follow the same way. Being California they will do it bigger, better and badder. There is no Constitutional right to commit a crime. No matter how many criminals think there is.

We are finally getting to your objections. The Constitution. I guess you detest part of it. Just the little parts. Like the Fourth, Fifth, Sixth and let’s not forget the Eighth Amendments. The Eightth Amendment says Excessive Bail shall not be required.

I know. It is a shock to you to hear of any amendments beside the Second. But they are there. Check it out if you doubt me.

Now Excessive Bail has been handled many ways. But poor people can’t afford it. So they stay in jail for months. Or years. Waiting for a trial date. And if found not guilty, how do you compensate them for their lost time?

Now the dirty little secret is that about forty percent of those arrested will not be found guilty. They’ll eventually have charges dropped. Or they will plea bargain for time served. What that means is ten seconds after the guilty verdict for some misdemeanor is read, the guy walks out free. Time served. He’s done.

Why are charges dropped. Witnesses become unavailable. Or the delays are too great meaning the defendant is denied his speedy trial. Or some procedural filing is late or wrong.

So a majority of those in Jail are awaiting trial. Those serving sentences are always released early because of overcrowding. COVID made that worse.

Felony drug cases are pled out as misdemeanor cases. Or just dropped charges. Happens all the time. Assault with a deadly weapon becomes simple assault. Simple assault becomes disturbing the peace. Robbery becomes less. And that is if they are found guilty.

And that is not just California. It is the case everywhere.

Crime will skyrocket.

We are finally getting to your objections. The Constitution. I guess you detest part of it. Just the little parts. Like the Fourth, Fifth, Sixth and let’s not forget the Eighth Amendments. The Eightth Amendment says Excessive Bail shall not be required.

I know. It is a shock to you to hear of any amendments beside the Second. But they are there. Check it out if you doubt me.

Now Excessive Bail has been handled many ways. But poor people can’t afford it. So they stay in jail for months. Or years. Waiting for a trial date. And if found not guilty, how do you compensate them for their lost time?

Now the dirty little secret is that about forty percent of those arrested will not be found guilty. They’ll eventually have charges dropped. Or they will plea bargain for time served. What that means is ten seconds after the guilty verdict for some misdemeanor is read, the guy walks out free. Time served. He’s done.

Why are charges dropped. Witnesses become unavailable. Or the delays are too great meaning the defendant is denied his speedy trial. Or some procedural filing is late or wrong.

So a majority of those in Jail are awaiting trial. Those serving sentences are always released early because of overcrowding. COVID made that worse.

Felony drug cases are pled out as misdemeanor cases. Or just dropped charges. Happens all the time. Assault with a deadly weapon becomes simple assault. Simple assault becomes disturbing the peace. Robbery becomes less. And that is if they are found guilty.

There is no part of the constitution that legalizes crime. Many poor people charged with minor crimes are released on their own recognizance. When they aren't it's for good reason. They are incorrigible criminals. They get time served. Okay. They are at least off the streets for a time.

Sorry but intimidating a witness into not testifying should not mean a get out of jail free card. I have no sympathy for the dirt bags. I know plenty. There isn't one I would let have their next breath.

A lot of time the dirt bag MFers get off because the victims are not diligent. I was the victim of a carjacking with use of a firearm. First thing the prosecutor wanted to drop the ten year gun enhancement. Give the 18 year old three years for car theft. He serves half that for good time work time credit and is out in 18 months. I objected. The DA said it wasn't my call. Oh really. I went to the press and identified the sweetheart deal naming the DA. The enhancement was reinstated. 13 years.

Then I got the night time visitors. I got a dog and I got a gun. Then a few more guns.

I fought for over a year to get justice for the Mexican illegal who thought he would steal my car. I never missed a court date. I was there in the front row at every hearing and motion. He plead guilty in exchange for credit for time served and sentence to a minimum security facility. Then it was time for my victim's statement. I flayed him alive. He lost every credit and went to Chino. All 13 years. I tried for Pelican Bay.

That's what EVERY victim needs to do. Fight. If they can't get a victim's rights group to target these deals and make sure they get the maximum sentence.

Crime will skyrocket.

There is no part of the constitution that legalizes crime. Many poor people charged with minor crimes are released on their own recognizance. When they aren't it's for good reason. They are incorrigible criminals. They get time served. Okay. They are at least off the streets for a time.

Sorry but intimidating a witness into not testifying should not mean a get out of jail free card. I have no sympathy for the dirt bags. I know plenty. There isn't one I would let have their next breath.

I offered to join your immediate execution didn’t so? You did not reply. Because you don’t want anyone held responsible if someone dies for a crime they did not commit.

A lot of time the dirt bag MFers get off because the victims are not diligent. I was the victim of a carjacking with use of a firearm. First thing the prosecutor wanted to drop the ten year gun enhancement. Give the 18 year old three years for car theft. He serves half that for good time work time credit and is out in 18 months. I objected. The DA said it wasn't my call. Oh really. I went to the press and identified the sweetheart deal naming the DA. The enhancement was reinstated. 13 years.

Then I got the night time visitors. I got a dog and I got a gun. Then a few more guns.

I fought for over a year to get justice for the Mexican illegal who thought he would steal my car. I never missed a court date. I was there in the front row at every hearing and motion. He plead guilty in exchange for credit for time served and sentence to a minimum security facility. Then it was time for my victim's statement. I flayed him alive. He lost every credit and went to Chino. All 13 years. I tried for Pelican Bay.

That's what EVERY victim needs to do. Fight. If they can't get a victim's rights group to target these deals and make sure they get the maximum sentence.

Crime will skyrocket.

I offered to join your immediate execution didn’t so? You did not reply. Because you don’t want anyone held responsible if someone dies for a crime they did not commit.

You mean like a victim? Criminals deserve to die. Quickly. The bailiff should do it right at the counsel table. Why do you not want criminals held responsible? Do victims deserve to die?

Crime will skyrocket.

You mean like a victim? Criminals deserve to die. Quickly. The bailiff should do it right at the counsel table. Why do you not want criminals held responsible? Do victims deserve to die?

What if he really is innocent of the crime? More than 371 people were freed after DNA proved that they had not committed the crime they were convicted of. What do you do about that? You killed the guy ten seconds after the verdict. How should we deal with it? He was really innocent after all. Do we just shrug and say sorry?

That is what all those appeals and checks are for. The effort to make absolutely sure we are executing the guilty guy. Your way would have seen 371 innocents put to death. Murdered. So how do we make sure we don’t do that? How do we make sure we do not execute the wrong person.

Bet your life is already the situation in Georgia regarding Citizens Arrest. If you are wrong and had no legal justification to arrest the guy you go to jail for false imprisonment. So why not make that the rule on your instant executions?

You get the pleasure of killing the guy instants after the verdict. And his family gets the pleasure of watching everyone involved die if it turns out he was really innocent. Doesn’t that sound far? Isn’t killing an innocent Murder? And isn’t that what has you wrapped around the axle?

Crime will skyrocket.

What if he really is innocent of the crime? More than 371 people were freed after DNA proved that they had not committed the crime they were convicted of. What do you do about that? You killed the guy ten seconds after the verdict. How should we deal with it? He was really innocent after all. Do we just shrug and say sorry?

That is what all those appeals and checks are for. The effort to make absolutely sure we are executing the guilty guy. Your way would have seen 371 innocents put to death. Murdered. So how do we make sure we don’t do that? How do we make sure we do not execute the wrong person.

Bet your life is already the situation in Georgia regarding Citizens Arrest. If you are wrong and had no legal justification to arrest the guy you go to jail for false imprisonment. So why not make that the rule on your instant executions?

You get the pleasure of killing the guy instants after the verdict. And his family gets the pleasure of watching everyone involved die if it turns out he was really innocent. Doesn’t that sound far? Isn’t killing an innocent Murder? And isn’t that what has you wrapped around the axle?

None are innocent. If they didn't commit that crime they committed 20 they got away with.

It was a first offense for my 18 year old car jacker. First offense as an adult. The first crime he committed and was caught, was an armed robbery at 13. He robbed a convenience store. Then there were various robberies, assaults and car thefts. He never went to prison for any of them. That's Typical. He probably committed 100 crimes for which he was never caught.

I've known a thousand like that. No sympathy. They don't get what they deserve.

Crime will skyrocket.

None are innocent. If they didn't commit that crime they committed 20 they got away with.

It was a first offense for my 18 year old car jacker. First offense as an adult. The first crime he committed and was caught, was an armed robbery at 13. He robbed a convenience store. Then there were various robberies, assaults and car thefts. He never went to prison for any of them. That's Typical. He probably committed 100 crimes for which he was never caught.

So what are you guilty of?

Crime will skyrocket.

I have not been arrested, ever. You have though. What was the charge? Your loyalty to the dregs is noticeable. You think George Floyd was innocent.

Crime will skyrocket.

I have not been arrested, ever. You have though. What was the charge? Your loyalty to the dregs is noticeable. You think George Floyd was innocent.

Everyone is guilty was the position of the KGB. The Stasi. And every dictatorship in history. It is your position. So either you support a totalitarian regime or you are aware of your own guilt. A guilty man flees when no one pursues.

This is something I have said before. The most serious crime I have ever been accused of or convicted of is riding a dirt bike on the street without a motorcycle license. We were crossing the street from where we had been riding to where our truck was parked to load up after a day of fun. It cost me $290 to cross twenty feet of road if you are curious.

I have a CCW permit in Georgia. That means no Felony Convictions. But there have never been any misdemeanor convictions or arrests either.

The other advantage I have over you is that I understand the facts about the Constitution. One of those facts is that the rights contained within are all interlocking. Each one depends on every other right. Your right to keep and bear arms depends on every other right being vigorously defended.

I also understand the reason behind the rights of the accused. The Founders had just fought a war against the very system you advocate. Prior to that the Magna Carta established the rights that you detest for English Citizens. No longer could the King just declare you guilty and throw you in jail.

I believe in these rights. I believe it is better for a guilty man to go free than an innocent man go to prison. I believe that those rights are vital to our national identity and the Constitution agrees with me.

You view the Constitution as a buffet. Pick what you like and ignore the rest. You desire a Soviet System. Where guilt is assumed. And punishment swift. We fought against that system. Not just in 1776. But many times since. If we wanted a guilty because we said so system we could have surrendered to Germany. We could have given in to the Soviets. We didn’t.

The oath taken by Politicians and Soldiers. To protect and defend the Constitution. That means all of it. Not just the parts you think should be there. All of it. We are supposed to be outraged when the Police break the rules. We are supposed to demand the accused be freed when the Prosecution lies or cheats. It is supposed to be hard to convict someone. The Founders set it up that way intentionally.

My beliefs are rooted in the Constitution and history. Where do you root your beliefs? Not America. Not the Constitution. It is why I keep saying you hate the Constitution. Because you do. Your hatred comes out in every line you type. Your disgust with America drips from every sentence. It is not Liberals you hate. It is America.

Crime will skyrocket.

Everyone is guilty was the position of the KGB. The Stasi. And every dictatorship in history. It is your position. So either you support a totalitarian regime or you are aware of your own guilt. A guilty man flees when no one pursues.

This is something I have said before. The most serious crime I have ever been accused of or convicted of is riding a dirt bike on the street without a motorcycle license. We were crossing the street from where we had been riding to where our truck was parked to load up after a day of fun. It cost me $290 to cross twenty feet of road if you are curious.

I have a CCW permit in Georgia. That means no Felony Convictions. But there have never been any misdemeanor convictions or arrests either.

The other advantage I have over you is that I understand the facts about the Constitution. One of those facts is that the rights contained within are all interlocking. Each one depends on every other right. Your right to keep and bear arms depends on every other right being vigorously defended.

I also understand the reason behind the rights of the accused. The Founders had just fought a war against the very system you advocate. Prior to that the Magna Carta established the rights that you detest for English Citizens. No longer could the King just declare you guilty and throw you in jail.

I believe in these rights. I believe it is better for a guilty man to go free than an innocent man go to prison. I believe that those rights are vital to our national identity and the Constitution agrees with me.

You view the Constitution as a buffet. Pick what you like and ignore the rest. You desire a Soviet System. Where guilt is assumed. And punishment swift. We fought against that system. Not just in 1776. But many times since. If we wanted a guilty because we said so system we could have surrendered to Germany. We could have given in to the Soviets. We didn’t.

The oath taken by Politicians and Soldiers. To protect and defend the Constitution. That means all of it. Not just the parts you think should be there. All of it. We are supposed to be outraged when the Police break the rules. We are supposed to demand the accused be freed when the Prosecution lies or cheats. It is supposed to be hard to convict someone. The Founders set it up that way intentionally.

My beliefs are rooted in the Constitution and history. Where do you root your beliefs? Not America. Not the Constitution. It is why I keep saying you hate the Constitution. Because you do. Your hatred comes out in every line you type. Your disgust with America drips from every sentence. It is not Liberals you hate. It is America.

You are partly right. I hate democrats. They would strip the Republic and turn it into a democracy. My disgust with democrats knows no bounds. I would see them lined up and shot. To the last one. They strip the rights of citizens and confer rights on criminals including the right to commit any crime they wish. Democrats love the rapist. They uphold the right to bludgeon the elderly and celebrate the murderer. Then they hide behind the constitution. The men who signed that document would have you hanged just for making the suggestion that criminals be placated and indulged.

You're a democrat, an enemy to all people who want justice everywhere in the world.

Crime will skyrocket.

You are partly right. I hate democrats. They would strip the Republic and turn it into a democracy. My disgust with democrats knows no bounds. I would see them lined up and shot. To the last one. They strip the rights of citizens and confer rights on criminals including the right to commit any crime they wish. Democrats love the rapist. They uphold the right to bludgeon the elderly and celebrate the murderer. Then they hide behind the constitution. The men who signed that document would have you hanged just for making the suggestion that criminals be placated and indulged.

You're a democrat, an enemy to all people who want justice everywhere in the world.

Seconded.

Crime will skyrocket.

You could not be more wrong if you tried. But you hate America and the Constitution. Just as I have asserted for days.

Then they hide behind the constitution. The men who signed that document would have you hanged just for making the suggestion that criminals be placated and indulged.

I am not so sure you are right. In fact. I am nearly positive you are wrong.

Abraham Lincoln went against Public Opinion and proved a man innocent of murder. You would have executed an innocent man, and one of our forefathers stood up and said no. He won the case.

If you had read anything. Including the Constitution you would know how wrong you are. If you would read The Federalist Papers. You would never say the Founders believed what you claim they did.

But you subscribe to the Comic Book Version of the Constitution. And that is only part of your problem. You are arrogant without foundation. You are so shallow there is literally nothing but surface. You are so filled with hatred and venom you can’t imagine anyone ever believed anything different.

I do not hate you. I feel sorry that your education is so incomplete. I feel sorry for you. I wish that you had paid attention in school. I wish that you had read much. I wish you were better informed. I do not wish you any bad events in your life.

Then they hide behind the constitution. The men who signed that document would have you hanged just for making the suggestion that criminals be placated and indulged.

Abraham Lincoln went against Public Opinion and proved a man innocent of murder. You would have executed an innocent man, and one of our forefathers stood up and said no. He won the case.

If you had read anything. Including the Constitution you would know how wrong you are. If you would read The Federalist Papers. You would never say the Founders believed what you claim they did.

But you subscribe to the Comic Book Version of the Constitution. And that is only part of your problem. You are arrogant without foundation. You are so shallow there is literally nothing but surface. You are so filled with hatred and venom you can’t imagine anyone ever believed anything different.

I do not hate you. I feel sorry that your education is so incomplete. I feel sorry for you. I wish that you had paid attention in school. I wish that you had read much. I wish you were better informed. I do not wish you any bad events in your life.
Oh come on. Your brain has left the building. If someone is proved innocent they are not executed. You are just another ignorant democrat spewing the party line.

Dear leftists,

Thank you!

Love,
California's next Scott Peterson, Richard Ramirez, or Charles Manson

You know all three are still alive in prison don’t you?

Wow, you're REALLY out of the loop! Both Ramirez and Manson are dead.

Oh come on. Your brain has left the building. If someone is proved innocent they are not executed. You are just another ignorant democrat spewing the party line.

I told you earlier about more than 371 people who were proven innocent years later. You said they should still be executed because they were guilty of something.

I used it as a reason why the review and appeals process is so important. You didn’t care. Execute them all you said.

Now I have shown the Forefathers in fact cared a great deal about the Amendments you deride and despise. And you now claim it is totally different. The truth is you are ignorant of what the Forefathers or even the Founders thought of anything. Like a weak minded Religious idiot you imagine that they must think exactly as you. It is not incumbent upon God to adapt to your view. It is not the responsibility of the Founders to think like you either. It is your responsibility to figure out what they thought.

Start with the writings of the era. The founders thought that the process of conviction was so important that they wrote most of the Bill of Rights to define what must happen. Think about that. Most of the first ten Amendments are about the Judicial Process of a country barely formed with wet ink on the Constitution.

So even a shallow mind should recognize that the Founders considered it vitally important. Not modern Liberals. Not radical leftists. The Founders.

That is why I keep saying you hate the Constitution. Because you hate that Accused Criminals are given so many rights. How dare the system coddle them that way?

The system demands it. The Constitution demands it. And America demands it.

In the early 1980’s a lawyer stood up and began reading the Rights of a Citizen. It was a preliminary hearing over seized evidence. The police had seized it illegally. The Judge interrupted the lawyer and said that they all know the Bill of Rights.

The defense attorney said that these were the rights of a Soviet Citizen. And they were worthless. The only difference between that piece of paper and our rights was the Judge. You your honor are the one who keeps our rights from being worthless.

The evidence was suppressed. The accused went free. And thank God that he did. Thank God for the Judges who uphold the Constitution. Thank God the Judges are willing to do something unpopular because it is right. Thank God the Founders insured we would be secure in our person and papers. It is up to us. All of us. To make sure that does not change.

Otherwise our rights will have as much weight as the rights of a Soviet Citizen. Where the Miranda Warning was scream all you want. We don’t care. That is what you advocate. And that is what I oppose. Because those rights are precious to me. Every one. Not just the first or second. Not one is able to be weakened without harming all the others.

You should not be angry at Liberals. You should be angry at the Police. They know how to do the job right. They choose not to. They choose shortcuts which when exposed taint the prosecution. They choose to open the holes in the net the criminal escapes through.

These are not new rules. They accompanied the nation for every step along the way. They have been written down for centuries. And the nation exists because of them.

Forum List

Back