L.A. wanted to use this building as a shelter, and now Trump does too

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
Interesting..that this program has been available since 1987..and yet it is so hard to make it work:

This week, senior Trump administration officials are making their way to Los Angeles as part of the president’s high-profile promise to intervene in California’s homelessness crisis. Federal officials are discussing the possibility of razing encampments and relocating hundreds or thousands of unhoused people—tactics that homeless advocates insist have no legal grounds under federal law.

$
© Google Maps The Trump administration is reportedly interested in moving Skid Row residents to L.A.'s vacant Hawthorne Federal Building, designed by Cesár Pelli.

One option under discussion is to use a former government building just outside Los Angeles to house (or detain) people now living in Skid Row in downtown L.A., where some 8,000 to 11,000 people are typically living on the streets. Federal officials have already reportedly toured the facility, the former West Coast headquarters of the Federal Aviation Administration, located 20 miles away in Hawthorne, California.
But a review of public records shows that the government previously rejected two efforts by advocacy groups to use the former Federal Aviation Administration building to serve the homeless.

Repurposing federal properties to provide homeless services isn’t a new or unprecedented idea: In fact, federal law already requires the government to make unused properties available to advocacy organizations that provide shelter or services to the homeless. Under the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act of 1987, the federal government must list surplus properties for consideration by shelter providers in a searchable database. A provision known as Title V states that properties must be made available—for no charge—to nonprofit groups, faith-based charities, local housing agencies, and other providers before they can be sold.

The federal office building, which is called the Hawthorne Federal Building, was listed as eligible for use to shelter providers in 2016. A nonprofit organization that provides shelter for homeless veterans submitted an application that year to use the facility. The request was denied. Four months later, in January 2017, an organization that provides job training to people living on the margins inquired about using the building under the same Title V provision. At that time, however, they were told that the facility was no longer available."

Now that Trump has shown interest...the building is available again--assuming we want the Feds getting into the homeless shelter business.

Provide the "homeless" with housing and arrest them if they continue to sleep and shit on the streets. Then give them a choice between accepting permanent housing and appropriate voluntary treatment programs or being committed to an involuntary treatment facility.

Provide the "homeless" with housing and arrest them if they continue to sleep and shit on the streets. Then give them a choice between accepting permanent housing and appropriate voluntary treatment programs or being committed to an involuntary treatment facility.

"Stop being poor, or we'll lock you up!" Authoritarianism is so sexy.

What's convinced you there is an adequate supply of "permanent housing and appropriate voluntary treatment programs" or involuntary treatment facilities to make that choice meaningful?

I live less than two miles from LA's skid row, and much of that surplus humanity has pitched their tents on sidewalks around my senior building.

Twenty-four years ago when I moved into this neighborhood there was a small fraction of today's homeless residents on these streets. At that time apartments rented for $375 a month. Today, those same units rent for $1250 a month AFTER the biggest economic downturn since the Great Depression.

Lack of affordable housing in the single biggest driver of LA homelessness.

Waiting on your better idea...

It's a free Country and people have the option to kill themselves with drugs and alcohol but society also has the right to use public facilities and parks and sidewalks without dodging dirty needles, stepping over corpses (alive and dead) and slipping on human shit and piss. The question is whether democrats are willing to address the issue before a freaking plague sets in.

It's a free Country and people have the option to kill themselves with drugs and alcohol but society also has the right to use public facilities and parks and sidewalks without dodging dirty needles, stepping over corpses (alive and dead) and slipping on human shit and piss. The question is whether democrats are willing to address the issue before a freaking plague sets in.
The question is really...whether anyone is willing to address the issue. The Fed has guidelines for giving these buildings to non-profits to use as homeless shelters, among other local public uses. Why have they not been following them all along? Another case of Govt. refusing to enforce statute.....Anyway, I don't think housing is going to go down in LA...so, if I was poor..I'd be out--on my way to Bismark..LOL!

Most of the country does not really care for the plight of the cities. Homelessness is an issue..but they deal with it.

Interesting..that this program has been available since 1987..and yet it is so hard to make it work:

This week, senior Trump administration officials are making their way to Los Angeles as part of the president’s high-profile promise to intervene in California’s homelessness crisis. Federal officials are discussing the possibility of razing encampments and relocating hundreds or thousands of unhoused people—tactics that homeless advocates insist have no legal grounds under federal law.

$
© Google Maps The Trump administration is reportedly interested in moving Skid Row residents to L.A.'s vacant Hawthorne Federal Building, designed by Cesár Pelli.

One option under discussion is to use a former government building just outside Los Angeles to house (or detain) people now living in Skid Row in downtown L.A., where some 8,000 to 11,000 people are typically living on the streets. Federal officials have already reportedly toured the facility, the former West Coast headquarters of the Federal Aviation Administration, located 20 miles away in Hawthorne, California.
But a review of public records shows that the government previously rejected two efforts by advocacy groups to use the former Federal Aviation Administration building to serve the homeless.

Repurposing federal properties to provide homeless services isn’t a new or unprecedented idea: In fact, federal law already requires the government to make unused properties available to advocacy organizations that provide shelter or services to the homeless. Under the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act of 1987, the federal government must list surplus properties for consideration by shelter providers in a searchable database. A provision known as Title V states that properties must be made available—for no charge—to nonprofit groups, faith-based charities, local housing agencies, and other providers before they can be sold.

The federal office building, which is called the Hawthorne Federal Building, was listed as eligible for use to shelter providers in 2016. A nonprofit organization that provides shelter for homeless veterans submitted an application that year to use the facility. The request was denied. Four months later, in January 2017, an organization that provides job training to people living on the margins inquired about using the building under the same Title V provision. At that time, however, they were told that the facility was no longer available."

Now that Trump has shown interest...the building is available again--assuming we want the Feds getting into the homeless shelter business.
Trump has a good eye for real estate. Around that building is a really lovely grounds area that would make a good playground for the children of detainees. It would need a fence, however, to keep out trouble.

$

Trump has a good eye for real estate. Around that building is a really lovely grounds area that would make a good playground for the children of detainees. It would need a fence, however, to keep out trouble.
Ya kinda lost me at 'detainees'.
Citizens is my preferred term. Freedom is still the right to determine one's fate--I'd lock no one up. Unless they broke the law. The most you can give people is a break..after that--it's their life. Camping downtown would be against the law..and if some people wish to go to jail every 3 months..for 6 months, oh well.

The+%E2%80%9880%E2%80%99s%3A+the+Reagan+Revolution.jpg

"As some Americans mourn the death of Ronald Reagan, let us recall that the two-term president was no friend to America’s cities or its poor. Reagan came to office in 1981 with a mandate to reduce federal spending. In reality, he increased it through the escalating military budget, all the while slashing funds for domestic programs that assisted working class Americans, particularly the poor."

Reagan's Legacy: Homelessness in America

The question is really...whether anyone is willing to address the issue. The Fed has guidelines for giving these buildings to non-profits to use as homeless shelters, among other local public uses. Why have they not been following them all along? Another case of Govt. refusing to enforce statute.....Anyway, I don't think housing is going to go down in LA...so, if I was poor..I'd be out--on my way to Bismark..LOL!

Most of the country does not really care for the plight of the cities. Homelessness is an issue..but they deal with it.
Why should "most of the country" care about the homeless plague in L.A. if L.A. doesn't care about it? Why doesn't the democrat majority in congress care about it? Apparently the democrat Speaker has to drive by acres of bodies under blue tarps to get to her million dollar home and she never talks about much of anything except impeaching the President.

How about bringing back debtor's prisons? Make America 1833 Again, baby!

$

Ya kinda lost me at 'detainees'.
Citizens is my preferred term. Freedom is still the right to determine one's fate--I'd lock no one up. Unless they broke the law. The most you can give people is a break..after that--it's their life. Camping downtown would be against the law..and if some people wish to go to jail every 3 months..for 6 months, oh well.
Oh, my bad. I got the impression the building was going to house the current people on the border who are living in cramped quarters while awaiting their yes or no admittance to the USA, and I just picked up the reference word I'd heard being used since they are being detained until their cases can be heard. What I don't understand was why the Congresswoman Veronica Escobar of El Paso, TX, after her party shut out humanitarian assistance funds to the 'detainee' - awaiting their day in court went down into Mexico soliciting people to flood the current inadequate facilities. I think the Democrats making hell on earth happen on the border is a mistake, but the people there do need to be treated to better quarters, so I thought that was what the building would be used for, except they may need a dozen places that large to handle the million people a year who've been coming up this way. since the turn of the century.

Pardon my error, and thank you for the correction.

How about bringing back debtor's prisons? Make America 1833 Again, baby!
I was being serious...so what's your idea that's better?

Forum List

Back