Kumbaya! Finally, Ds and Rs agree!

dblack

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Social media needs to be regulated, but I don't have confidence that this congress, the next one, or the one after can regulate without bias. Fortunately, social media seems to be doing a pretty good job of imploding on its own without congress' help lately, a trend that will hopefully continue. Social media in its current form belongs in the dustbin of history.

Last edited:
Biden is "taking on" Big Tech.

Yes, but...

Just what Trumpsters have been clamoring for.

That's what worries me. They're not going to agree on the what or the how of regulation, but he's setting that ball into motion. If - more like when - the Repubs take over, they will have their own idea of what that regulation looks like and I don't trust them.

That's what worries me. They're not going to agree on the what or the how of regulation, but he's setting that ball into motion. If - more like when - the Repubs take over, they will have their own idea of what that regulation looks like and I don't trust them.
Yeah. That's how it works. Partisan brains can't seem to grasp the concept, but when they vote to give government more power, eventually, the "other side" will be back in power. And the other side will use that power in ways they don't like.

Social media needs to be regulated, but I don't have confidence that this congress, the next one, or the one after can regulate without bias. Fortunately, social media seems to be doing a pretty good job of imploding on its own with congress' help lately, a trend that will hopefully continue. Social media in its current form belongs in the dustbin of history.
I think it has literally triggered psychosis across entire nations.

I think it has literally triggered psychosis across entire nations.

It's a weird phenomenon. It feeds narcissism, IMO. It greatly contributes to social isolation and self-image issues, particularly among young users. I'm glad I didn't grow up in that world. MTV addiction during the 80s and 90s was bad enough, lol.

Authoritarian regimes have used it to track and persecute critics. OTOH, Twitter has been a way to get live, unfiltered news in places that journalists may not be able to access right away. When Kabul fell, Twitter feeds had some of the best reporting out there.

It's a weird phenomenon. It feeds narcissism, IMO. It greatly contributes to social isolation and self-image issues, particularly among young users. I'm glad I didn't grow up in that world. MTV addiction during the 80s and 90s was bad enough, lol.
Once we get the Ministry of Truth up and running, everything will be hunky dory.

Once we get the Ministry of Truth up and running, everything will be hunky dory.

Yeah sorry, I edited my post to address the fact that authoritarian regimes have used social media to persecute their enemies. Some use the data to unmask critics, for example. In Myanmar, the anti-Muslim (anti-Rohinga) elements have used social media to spread disinformation in an attempt to encourage violent attacks that drive the Rohinga out of the country. It has been used to feed genocide.

Zuck does not care. He wants market saturation and then he'll deal with the morality of it all later.

The rise of tech platforms has introduced new and difficult challenges, from the tragic acts of violence linked to toxic online cultures, to deteriorating mental health and wellbeing, to basic rights of Americans and communities worldwide suffering from the rise of tech platforms big and small.

There is a difference, tramp said no speech is bad and shouldn't be interfered with . tramp was protection of vindictive speech.

Last edited:
It's time for government to sink its teeth into social media!

Dropping 230 isnt the answer. All that will do is encourage platforms to do WAAAYYY more censoring and banning.

Yes, but...

It was super cool while you all did it to us though, right? The only problem is when WE have the ability to do it back. THATS your big fear. :cuckoo:

Forum List

Back