Keyboarding traded for Cursive

Home | Campaign for Cursive

Campaign for Cursive
Proof that learning cursive makes you smarter
INTELLIGENCE AND THE LOST ART OF CURSIVE WRITING
By Dr. David Sortino

Most children are taught to print the first few years of grade school and, depending on the school, either they stay with printing throughout their school careers or they are also taught cursive, usually in second or third grade.
Is learning cursive still important in an age of texting and email?

Tip/Wag - Campaign for Cursive & The RNC - The Colbert Report - 2013-04-12 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Should we keep teaching cursive?

I don't think it matters much anymore, if it ever did. Apparently though, some disagree.

What the hell is a matter with you?

If you want to make your mark when you write a check for your malt liquor then be my guest, but I'll stick with my outstanding cursive penmanship.

You should examine how beautifully people in the 19th century wrote. Civil War period etc.

Home | Campaign for Cursive

Campaign for Cursive
Proof that learning cursive makes you smarter
INTELLIGENCE AND THE LOST ART OF CURSIVE WRITING
By Dr. David Sortino

Most children are taught to print the first few years of grade school and, depending on the school, either they stay with printing throughout their school careers or they are also taught cursive, usually in second or third grade.
Is learning cursive still important in an age of texting and email?

Tip/Wag - Campaign for Cursive & The RNC - The Colbert Report - 2013-04-12 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Should we keep teaching cursive?

I don't think it matters much anymore, if it ever did. Apparently though, some disagree.

What the hell is a matter with you?

If you want to make your mark when you write a check for your malt liquor then be my guest, but I'll stick with my outstanding cursive penmanship.

You should examine how beautifully people in the 19th century wrote. Civil War period etc.

Ever seen Washington's script? His cursive is better than my printing. Absolutely beautiful.

I had some 19 century legal journals from my hometown that were lost to history until I discovered them. The judge was the founder of the county in the 1830's after the state became a state in 1836. Beautiful penmanship. The bindings were in tatters but what was inside was incredible. They enclosed them in glass at the city hall. They were very happy to get those. Judge wrote the ledgers with his own hands.

I submit this is complete bullshit, just like all the other tales you've been caught spinning on these forums.

Are there meds to help with being a compulsive liar?

Two year olds can't read....yet they know what an ice cream truck looks like

And there's really no difference between high school students and two year olds. High school students are just bigger. Otherwise they are equal. Maybe a two year old would have thought a white panel truck was an ice cream truck too! Clearly the wording on the truck was too advanced. It should have said "B 4" and a picture of a head of lettucel

Why is it that high school students cannot read the writing on a truck? Could they have read it if it had been in block letters? 80% of high school students in New York cannot read.

80% of New York High School Grads Can?t Read Despite Being No. 1 in School Spending | FrontPage Magazine

Then we have real world consequences as a couple of thieves are going to die, or have already died, terrible deaths because they could not read "radioactive materials".

Let's just all pretend none of this exists and support students who not only can't read, but see no benefit in writing either. America, the illiterate. What a post script!!

Oh, the delicious irony!

You talk about 80% of New York high school students being unable to read, when the very link you provides is about 80% of New York City high school graduates needing help with various skills to be college ready.

Perhaps if you had actually read the article or the links contained within, you wouldn't have used the same misleading line as the article's headline. You and whoever is responsible for the article's headline both deserve a thank you for providing such lovely entertainment. :clap2:

I think it's kind of important that people know how to read and write English. but what do I know?

Are you saying that printing is not done in English, only cursive?

If not, I'm not sure what your point here is.

Other than a person's signature, are there many instances in which someone needs to be able to read/write in cursive? And to be clear, quite a few signatures I've seen are completely unintelligible scribbling (pun intended!).

The world being what it is, while I have no problems with cursive being taught, it seems a skill with little practical application.

And there's really no difference between high school students and two year olds. High school students are just bigger. Otherwise they are equal. Maybe a two year old would have thought a white panel truck was an ice cream truck too! Clearly the wording on the truck was too advanced. It should have said "B 4" and a picture of a head of lettucel

Why is it that high school students cannot read the writing on a truck? Could they have read it if it had been in block letters? 80% of high school students in New York cannot read.

80% of New York High School Grads Can?t Read Despite Being No. 1 in School Spending | FrontPage Magazine

Then we have real world consequences as a couple of thieves are going to die, or have already died, terrible deaths because they could not read "radioactive materials".

Let's just all pretend none of this exists and support students who not only can't read, but see no benefit in writing either. America, the illiterate. What a post script!!

Still sounds like a bullshit story

We know...you are trying to convince everyone that High School kids are so dumb they can't figure our what an ice cream truck looks like

And as a NY State High School grad I also call bullshit on any story that says 80% of the graduates can't read

I am trying to tell you that the ice cream truck is a plain white panel truck, driven by some mexican who probably is selling stolen ice cream out of ice chests filled with dry ice n the back. You are thinking of the good humor man and his truck played a little tune too!

As far as the story that 80% of the NYC high school grads can't read, take it up with the person who wrote the article.

This one too
Officials: NYC High School Students Entering CUNY Need Remedial Help « CBS New York

And this one.

Approximately 80 percent of NYC high school grads can?t read well enough for community college | The Daily Caller

Reading and writing are becoming subjects that are not dealt with in public school. The answer so far is NOT to make sure they can read. The answer is to claim that reading or writing isn't necessary any longer.

Oh, the delicious irony!

You talk about 80% of New York high school students being unable to read, when the very link you provides is about 80% of New York City high school graduates needing help with various skills to be college ready.

Perhaps if you had actually read the article or the links contained within, you wouldn't have used the same misleading line as the article's headline. You and whoever is responsible for the article's headline both deserve a thank you for providing such lovely entertainment. :clap2:

I have a suspicion that Katz would be one of those having to take remedial reading. On two counts

1. The article says 80% of city school graduates who attend community college need remedial help. Not ALL graduates

2. Katz seems to think needing help to take college courses means "can not read"

We know...you are trying to convince everyone that High School kids are so dumb they can't figure our what an ice cream truck looks like

And as a NY State High School grad I also call bullshit on any story that says 80% of the graduates can't read

I am trying to tell you that the ice cream truck is a plain white panel truck, driven by some mexican who probably is selling stolen ice cream out of ice chests filled with dry ice n the back. You are thinking of the good humor man and his truck played a little tune too!

As far as the story that 80% of the NYC high school grads can't read, take it up with the person who wrote the article.

This one too
Officials: NYC High School Students Entering CUNY Need Remedial Help « CBS New York

And this one.

Approximately 80 percent of NYC high school grads can?t read well enough for community college | The Daily Caller

Reading and writing are becoming subjects that are not dealt with in public school. The answer so far is NOT to make sure they can read. The answer is to claim that reading or writing isn't necessary any longer.

Are you capable of reading?

The article says nothing about 80% of New York High School Students being unable to read

This one too

And this one.

Having reading trouble again, Katz? :lol:

I mentioned the author of the original article you linked, and pointed out that they were being misleading with their title, since the facts of their article didn't support it.

The irony continues!

Perhaps you should take some remedial reading classes from NYC before you post? :lmao:

Oh, the delicious irony!

I have a suspicion that Katz would be one of those having to take remedial reading. On two counts

1. The article says 80% of city school graduates who attend community college need remedial help. Not ALL graduates

2. Katz seems to think needing help to take college courses means "can not read"

Yes, that is what it means. They cannot read. That's why they need remedial reading courses. These are not "college courses" of course they could never hope to perform at the college level. This is community college level.

I never said that ALL high school graduates can't read. If 80% can't read, that's FAILURE of this highest order.

Unfortunately for these poor sots that can neither read nor write, they will be competing with foreign students who can read and write just fine. They'll be up against Chinese, Japanese and Indian students who can both read and write!

Perhaps we can follow New Zealand down the rabbit hole and let the more stupid communicate in text speech.

Here's what the beginning of this story looks like in "text speak":

WELLINGTON, nu Zealand -- nu Zealands hI skul students wiL b abL 2 uz "text-speak" d mob fone txt msg lngwij beloved of teenz n national exams DIS yr., officials sed.

Text-speak, a 2nd lngwij 4 thouz of teens, uzz abbreviated wrds & frAzez such az "txt" 4 "txt", "lol" 4 ":-d out lowd" o "lots of luv," & "CU" 4 "c U." d muv hz alredi divided students & educators hu fear it c%d damage d eng lngwij.

nu Zealands Qualifications Authority sed fri. dat it stil strongly discourages students frm UzN NEthing othR thN full eng, bt dat credit wiL b given f d Ans "clearly shOz d req'd undRstNdN," evN f it contaNz text-speak. d authoritys deputy chief executive 4 qualifications, Bali Haque, sed students shud aim 2 mAk thR Ansz az clr az posebL.
Officials: Students can use 'text speak' on tests - USATODAY.com

Oh, the delicious irony!

Yes, that is what it means. They cannot read. That's why they need remedial reading courses. These are not "college courses" of course they could never hope to perform at the college level. This is community college level.

I never said that ALL high school graduates can't read. If 80% can't read, that's FAILURE of this highest order.

Unfortunately for these poor sots that can neither read nor write, they will be competing with foreign students who can read and write just fine. They'll be up against Chinese, Japanese and Indian students who can both read and write!

Perhaps we can follow New Zealand down the rabbit hole and let the more stupid communicate in text speech.

WELLINGTON, nu Zealand -- nu Zealands hI skul students wiL b abL 2 uz "text-speak" d mob fone txt msg lngwij beloved of teenz n national exams DIS yr., officials sed.

Text-speak, a 2nd lngwij 4 thouz of teens, uzz abbreviated wrds & frAzez such az "txt" 4 "txt", "lol" 4 ":-d out lowd" o "lots of luv," & "CU" 4 "c U." d muv hz alredi divided students & educators hu fear it c%d damage d eng lngwij.

nu Zealands Qualifications Authority sed fri. dat it stil strongly discourages students frm UzN NEthing othR thN full eng, bt dat credit wiL b given f d Ans "clearly shOz d req'd undRstNdN," evN f it contaNz text-speak. d authoritys deputy chief executive 4 qualifications, Bali Haque, sed students shud aim 2 mAk thR Ansz az clr az posebL.

You have demonstrated to everyone on the board that you can't read

Your link said nothing approaching 80% of NY HS Graduates can't read. Are you lying or illiterate ?

This is what you posted

80% of high school students in New York cannot read. .

Last edited:
There's a high school a block away. Every day after school trucks selling ice cream, ice cones and candy line up to peddle their stuff to the kids. The ice cream truck is a white panel truck. The other day three girls were trying to flag down a white panel truck going by. The truck didn't stop. It kept going. The girls were bemused because the ice cream truck didn't stop as usual. I asked them "Did you think the truck was the ice cream truck?" Yes, they did. It looked just like the ice cream truck. On the side, in HUGE letters were the words "Santa Rosa Produce Company". I pointed that out. One of the girls said "We can't read! They should make that truck a different color."

High school girls. Cannot read.

Early 80s, in a video store with a family we knew. Then-high school age daughter of the family brought a video box to me and asked if I'd read it to her. Has nothing to do with reading/writing cursive and everything to do with getting a crappy education. Her mother was a teacher who didn't know her daughter couldn't read even though she had been told - in writing.

In AZ, I was told by Game & Fish that a hunter was not expected to be able to read "no hunting, no trespassing" signs and that I had to be able to testify that I had read the sign to him.

I learned the Palmer method (I think that's what it was called) in the 50s and never write cursive.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

I had some 19 century legal journals from my hometown that were lost to history until I discovered them. The judge was the founder of the county in the 1830's after the state became a state in 1836. Beautiful penmanship. The bindings were in tatters but what was inside was incredible. They enclosed them in glass at the city hall. They were very happy to get those. Judge wrote the ledgers with his own hands.

I have a collection of 17th century British land leases. They're gorgeous and I love them.

I'm selling some of my collection of antique fountain pens. They're works of art, in their own right.

Some people value and collect buggy whips but that doesn't mean we should manufacture them.

How about we teach our students skills they need to compete on the world stage? That's what other countries do and that's why they're leaving us in the dust.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

Cursive sucks....I haven't used it in 47 years other than my signature

See..all I write in is cursive.

I'm with RW here. Of course, my cursive has always been horrible and after a certain point the nuns just let me write in block letters.

But even my block lettering is unreadable, which is why I type out 99% of what I write.

Your link said nothing approaching 80% of NY HS Graduates can't read. Are you lying or illiterate ?

This is what you posted

What I posted was a link to a story with the headline that 80% of high school students cannot read. If you can read, then your comprehension is pure liberal.

This is what you posted

What I posted was a link to a story with the headline that 80% of high school students cannot read. If you can read, then your comprehension is pure liberal.

It has been pointed out to you that the headline was not based in any facts presented by the article.

As a matter of fact, there is a link in your original article to the same CBS New York article you later linked in another post. That CBS article begins with this, "Editor’s Note: This article’s original headline has been updated to more accurately reflect the content of the report."

It seems clear that you and the writers of these articles would be well served to take some of the same remedial classes the articles are based around. :eusa_whistle:

Commenting on the poor reading abilities of others is hilarious when you show poor reading abilities yourself! :lmao:

Welcome to KatzenLand.

Why is it that the rw's who are always saying they know everything really don't?

If you want to think that these illiterates get out of school and can read, but don't need to learn how to write, go think so.

The shame of it is that such illiteracy is encouraged! It's denied! It's not happening! Aren't you embarassed to be letting this happen to the next generation?

Forum List

Back