Kerry is abusing our war dead

To: TN Independent

I'll concede that my characterization of you as a "neutralized conservative" was inaccurate. However, in my defense, your characterization of yourself as a "conservative (mainly, but not totally)" left enough interpretational room to drive a truck through.

You obviously have your own views on war-any war. That's fine-I'm not criticizing you. But those views are a long way from "conservative", and this may account for some of my misimpressions.

It can be argued that FDR secretly and diligently pulled us into WWII, against the wishes of fully 80% of the American people. However, once we were attacked, he never had to deal with qualifications like"Let's kick tail and get out", "I'm just not sold on the fact that Hitler is a threat to the US" , or, "Let's put FDR's sons and daughters on the ground as combat troops and see if his attitude changes."

There is a distinctively conservative mindset towards national defense. You don't negotiate with an enemy from a position of weakness. You kick the shit out of him until he ceases to be a threat. You negotiate when he comes to the table with his hat in his hand. Any other approach-any attempt at appeasement-is dangerous and irresponsible.

I doubt that many conservatives are slavishly pro-Bush, or of the "Republican party line, right or wrong" persuasion. I, personally, have more than a few problems with both President Bush and the party. However, they are enough in line with my views that I consider them the safer bet. Perhaps all of us need to be careful about blanket characterizations.

I personally am quite thrilled with the level of generalization I employ in my dealings. A lib is a lib. Sorry. I'm a straight shooting Dick. " Nothing but the facts, m'am."

Originally posted by gop_jeff
Musicman, is there a link to the transcript? I missed that one.

I'm racking my brain, Jeff (rust flying everywhere). I can't remember for the life of me what specific show it was, but I'll keep looking. It was a stone groove!

Originally posted by rtwngAvngr
I personally am quite thrilled with the level of generalization I employ in my dealings. A lib is a lib. Sorry. I'm a straight shooting Dick. " Nothing but the facts, m'am."

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Every individual who belittles Bush's service in the National Guard...only proves how phony they are when they spew self righteous indignance about National Guard casualties in Iraq.

The National Guard was totally different thing back in Bush's day. If you can't see that, then you are an idiot.

Originally posted by Palestinian Jew
The National Guard was totally different thing back in Bush's day. If you can't see that, then you are an idiot.

I can't speak for George Bush, but my best friend's brother was in the Ohio National Guard during the Cincinnati race riots of the 1960's-and that, my friend, was no joke.

I can't speak for George Bush, but my best friend's brother was in the Ohio National Guard during the Cincinnati race riots of the 1960's-and that, my friend, was no joke.

I'm not saying serving in the nat'l guard back in the 60s was a joke, but if are in the nat'l guard now, you will go to war, back in the 60s you had a 10% chance, and even less if you were a fighter pilot.

And does the whole service record mean a damn thing?

Bush: National Guard (doesn't count in the eyes of the Dems)
Clinton: Draft Dodger (didn't matter in the eyes of the Dems)
Kerry: Active Military (Make him president now!!! He's the most qualified!!)

Hypocrites.

I don't think people really give a shit about service records from 30+ years ago. It's all a smoke screen by Kerry & Co. to hide the fact that he has 0 qualifications to be commander in chief.

Originally posted by musicman
To: TN Independent

I'll concede that my characterization of you as a "neutralized conservative" was inaccurate. However, in my defense, your characterization of yourself as a "conservative (mainly, but not totally)" left enough interpretational room to drive a truck through.

Fair enough. I am not by any means what one would call a staunch conservative. My views on most issues are much more toward the conservative side than the other way around, but in some instances I do tend to agree with the liberal view on things.

You obviously have your own views on war-any war. That's fine-I'm not criticizing you. But those views are a long way from "conservative", and this may account for some of my misimpressions.

There is a distinctively conservative mindset towards national defense. You don't negotiate with an enemy from a position of weakness. You kick the shit out of him until he ceases to be a threat. You negotiate when he comes to the table with his hat in his hand. Any other approach-any attempt at appeasement-is dangerous and irresponsible.
Indeed, we should all have our own views on war. As a parent with a teenage son, I shudder at the thought that my child might one day be pulled into a battle that need not be fought. That said, if war is justified, I hope that we have learned that we leave no stone unturned in our effort to totally demolish all opposition and would be proud for my son to be a part of a military assault in that case. Vietnam, I hope, taught us that lesson.
I doubt that many conservatives are slavishly pro-Bush, or of the "Republican party line, right or wrong" persuasion. I, personally, have more than a few problems with both President Bush and the party. However, they are enough in line with my views that I consider them the safer bet. Perhaps all of us need to be careful about blanket characterizations.

To this statement, it is I who must take a step back. My characterization was not intended to be personal, really. I was simply stating the opinion that there are those that follow blindly without thought or regard for what they are upholding. This was my misimpression.

Originally posted by rtwngAvngr
I knew it. A lib. Another one. Goes to prove my generalization "Liberals always say they're independent". I love being right so much.

rtwngAvngr,

Call me what you will. If it empowers you to label me a liberal, have at it.

:D

palestinian jew:

It's not uncommon when liberals name call their opposition, due to lacking a viable argument. Do yourself the favor of at least feigning a credible response to scrutiny.

Many National Guard units were sent to Vietnam, and like I said, it was not Bush's decision that his was not deployed.

The differences in deployment rates between then and now are completely irrelevant. Bush joined and made himself available for it.

It's not that you conveniently ignore the facts, it's that your short sightedness and consumption by hatred for Bush has blinded you to them.

How many members of the current National Guard signed up before 9/11 and the American response to it?

Was the deployment rate higher for National Guardsmen to combat as high leading up to 9/11 and our response to it...as it was during Vietnam?...or now?

Are all members of the National Guard who signed up before 9/11 to be insulted the same way you have insulted Bush?

Were they expecting to be sent to Iraq? Or Afganistan?

Your argument is designed to be misleading, and it would work if you were speaking to those who get their politics from bumper stickers.

Originally posted by Bullypulpit
Kerry was a combat commander. While he was putting his ass on the line in 'Nam, Dubbyuh was yuckin' it up with the rest of Texas' chosen sons in the Texas Air Force. Kerry did not dishonor the dead.

If anyone is dishonoring America's dead, it is Dubbyuh and his campaign handlers. The man corrupts the word "patriot" everytime he utters it.

COMMANDING TROOPS IN COMBAT MAKES YOU A GOOD PRESIDENT? Wow! Gonna be alot of candidates once that news gets out! So by your statement, anyone during Vietnam that served is (basically) any states Air guard (but most especially Texas) was just a party animal? You do not thing strapping your butt to the fighters of that day took courage?I personally hate flying,and the thought of getting in one of those old jet trainers or fighters sends chills up my spine,but that is just me I guess...

It's not uncommon when liberals name call their opposition, due to lacking a viable argument. Do yourself the favor of at least feigning a credible response to scrutiny.

Many National Guard units were sent to Vietnam, and like I said, it was not Bush's decision that his was not deployed.

The differences in deployment rates between then and now are completely irrelevant. Bush joined and made himself available for it.

It's not that you conveniently ignore the facts, it's that your short sightedness and consumption by hatred for Bush has blinded you to them.

How many members of the current National Guard signed up before 9/11 and the American response to it?

Was the deployment rate higher for National Guardsmen to combat as high leading up to 9/11 and our response to it...as it was during Vietnam?...or now?

Are all members of the National Guard who signed up before 9/11 to be insulted the same way you have insulted Bush?

Were they expecting to be sent to Iraq? Or Afganistan?

Your argument is designed to be misleading, and it would work if you were speaking to those who get their politics from bumper stickers.

Its not namecalling, just calling it as I see it. There is a clear difference from what the national guard during the Vietnam War, it was a way to get out of fighting, which rich kids like Bush used. Now, if you join the nat'l guard, you have a very good chance of going to war.

Its not namecalling, just calling it as I see it. There is a clear difference from what the national guard during the Vietnam War, it was a way to get out of fighting, which rich kids like Bush used. Now, if you join the nat'l guard, you have a very good chance of going to war.

Do you believe he was AWOL?

Originally posted by halibot22
In the 70's Kerry rode the bodybags of dead American soldiers, killed in Vietnam into the Senate. Now Kerry is trying to ride the bodybags of dead American soldiers, killed in Iraq into the White House. We should not let him get away with this. Check out my anti-kerry bloghere it is!

Where did this come from, and what are you insinuating?

No I don't and I don't care. The dems bringing up the AWOL thing was just to distract the country, much like what the republicans are doing with the idiotic argument about what a ribbon is!

To be fair, the Republicans havent really borught the issue up. this was all KErry's doing. Saying he's a great War hero and Running on that when he needs to. Then saying he opposed Vietnam and even threw away his own medals when he needs to say that. Then he said that they were not medals but ribbons and were not as important and therefore didnt make him against war. Then he changed his tune again and said that ribons and medals are one and the same to still prove that he was a good dissenting liberal.

So basically all the Republicans are doing is pointing to yet another place where Kerry can't get a simple story straight. Its not about medals or ribbons or SUV's. ITs about Kerry being a pathological liar that will say anything and do anything to be elected.

No I don't and I don't care. The dems bringing up the AWOL thing was just to distract the country, much like what the republicans are doing with the idiotic argument about what a ribbon is!

If kerry didn't try to parse words about it, that wouldn't be an issue either. This is all his own doing. He did this to himself by trying to have it both ways.

Originally posted by insein
...say anything and do anything to be elected.

I think most candidates are somewhat guilty of this. I quote from Bush comes to mind, "I know that it seems Republicans give tax cuts to the rich, but it's the rich that are paying the taxes." (something to that effect).

Originally posted by Cousin Vinnie
I think most candidates are somewhat guilty of this. I quote from Bush comes to mind, "I know that it seems Republicans give tax cuts to the rich, but it's the rich that are paying the taxes." (something to that effect).

So where is the double speak? The wealthiest 5% of the country does pay over 50% of all the taxes. I think they deserve a break too. they earned their money just like i earn my money. Just because they worked harder and sacrificed more doesnt mean they've "earned" the right to pay more taxes.

Forum List

Back