Kao Suey

Shadow

Silver Member
Aug 16, 2008
Land Of Enchantment
Has anyone ever had this? When one of my uncles was stationed in Burma my aunt learned how to make this dish. It is really great...we used to have it every New Years when she was alive. For years I asked her kids if they had the recipe,but no one ever made it so I think it has gotten lost. Well, I found one on the internet and I'm going to try to make it over the long weekend.

It is a soup...with several sides as add in's (the garnishes). Add them all or just a few. And you can probably add some that are not listed...my aunt had a lot more when she made this, I just don't remember them all.

Khao Suey

Ingredients

1/2 kg boneless chicken cut into bite sized pieces
3-4 onions chopped fine
6-7 cloves garlic grated together with
1 1/2" of ginger
3/4 tbspn besan (gram flour)
Coconut Milk
Haldi, Chilli Powder & Salt

Garnish

Chopped spring onions
Deep fried sliced onions
Chopped coriander
chopped green chillies
Fried garlic flakes
boiled egg chopped small
maggi noodles (raw) fried
peanuts
soy sauce
lime cut into quarters
coconut
mushrooms

Method:

Fry onions till soft. Do not brown. Add ginger, garlic paste. Fry till it smells like it is done (!) approx. 3-4 minutes. Add the chicken, turmeric (shld look yellow) and chilli powder. Fry till the chicken turns white and is coated well with the spices. Add besan and mix well. Add coconut milk and an equal quantity of water. Also add the salt now. Bring to boil and let it simmer till the gravy thickens. The coconut milk might threaten to froth over but dont panic, wait for it to settle.

Serve in a bowl - first the noodles, top it with the gravy generously till the noodles are well covered and top with the all the garnish.

( discovered that premika has made no mention of the noodles in her recipe and i havent a clue so will have to chase her up to add that bit. Well, I got laughed at plenty but here it is. Jan 11, '06)

Boil water. Enough to cover the noodles. Put in noodles only after water starts boiling for 7 minutes. Add a pinch of salt, a tsp of oil and a garlic pod to the water along with the noodles. Drain and serve. We ate Khao Suey at Amina's last night and it was fabulous. I've updated the "Garnish" section with a few additions.

KaoSuey.jpg

Rasbhara Recipes: Burmese Khao Suey

Last edited:

Forum List

Back