Just a little tidbit to show you how heinously greedy companies are

I work for a major northwest US utility company.

Our main mapping software, which links with our design, outage and asset management systems is being updated in 2023 to a version that is already 10 years old, and which will no longer be supported after mid-year 2025. It won’t be supported anymore because the company is discontinuing the software.

Most of our other software barely interfaces with this program and the outage, asset, and design management programs are all outdated and not industry standard products. The only up to date software is our Dispatch/Operations Management software. The next closest is our CAD system, which is was upgraded in 2030 because we were about to run out of time to upgrade and would have had to buy all new licenses.

LOL! I don't really know them, but I bought and sold (mainly sold) many pieces from them over the years when I lived in San Diego...
I just spent a hour on the phone with Dave. Might take the drive to SoCal and hit the Costa Mesa show at the end of the month.

I just spent a hour on the phone with Dave. Might take the drive to SoCal and hit the Costa Mesa show at the end of the month.

I miss SoCal guitar shows. The closest show we have down here is the one over in Orlando. Unfortunately, the prices are way too high and the place is way too crowded. Plus, if you're selling, no one wants to give you near what a guitar is worth.

I was selling this Gibson Les Paul Classic Custom for a buddy of mine. Someone owed my friend $1,200 and gave him this guitar instead. My friend doesn't play guitar, but he certainly knew the "Gibson" brand. These guitars aren't easy to come by, and I felt the price of $2,200 that we were asking was more than fair (there are some listen on Reverb for over $3K right now). The highest price I was offered by a dealer was $800; insulting.

lp01.jpg
lp03.jpg

I miss SoCal guitar shows. The closest show we have down here is the one over in Orlando. Unfortunately, the prices are way too high and the place is way too crowded. Plus, if you're selling, no one wants to give you near what a guitar is worth.

I was selling this Gibson Les Paul Classic Custom for a buddy of mine. Someone owed my friend $1,200 and gave him this guitar instead. My friend doesn't play guitar, but he certainly knew the "Gibson" brand. These guitars aren't easy to come by, and I felt the price of $2,200 that we were asking was more than fair (there are some listen on Reverb for over $3K right now). The highest price I was offered by a dealer was $800; insulting.

View attachment 743922 View attachment 743924
Cool guitar, but you can’t sell to dealer and expect a reasonable price. I’d think someone would pay $1200, though. It doesn’t have robot tuners or any other silliness, right?

Cool guitar, but you can’t sell to dealer and expect a reasonable price. I’d think someone would pay $1200, though. It doesn’t have robot tuners or any other silliness, right?

Oh, God, no. Those things were hideous.

Still, no dealer would touch it. Now, I fully understand that dealers want to maximize their profit and, in fact, I don't have a problem with that. What irked me is that not a single dealer was even remotely interested in even trying to negotiate even a little bit; it was just take it or leave it...

I've been working in corporate offices for at least a couple of decades now.
Aside from the massive incompetence and callous hate crimes against employees that I've witnessed time after time.......

These billion dollar companies REFUSE to update their technology. I'm talking about the software programs that are used to process information in accounts across the board.

I will give you two examples of what I mean.....

Mednax Medical Group

This company deals primarily in pediatrics. They have their own doctors, and provide billing, auditing, and other such services to doctors offices who don't have the staff for such things. This company is fucked to hell. I started there in 2017, and the programs they used were LITERALLY from the 80's and early 90's!! The only current programs they had for use were third party programs like Bank Of Americas payment processing program for businesses, and one GE Healthcare program that had not been updated since 2005.

The old programs were hard to use, because all the new programs other companies had, didn't not mesh at all with these old ones. We had SOOOOO MUCH paperwork because of this. Even the office tech was so old, the plastic housing on the machines we used was turning from old age yellow to dead sea scroll brown. Fuck, we even had FAX machines!!!

And people wonder WHY the healthcare industry is fucked up and SO expensive!!!! THIS is one of the top 3 reasons!!! Heinously outdated technology..........from LAST CENTURY!
And the most IGNORANT THING about the HUGE waste of paper on a daily basis was, EVERYTHING we did could be done on the computer without the need for paper!!! Even with thier 1980's technology!!! But they didn't want to "change" peoples work habits for the sake of saving several thousand dollars in printers, ink, and paper every month!!!

Toyota........yes, the auto maker!!

I work for a third party management company. Our client is Toyota USA. We use THEIR programs to process THEIR customers accounts.
So, you'd think a billion dollar a year company would have the most updated technology there is, right?

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG............OH HOW WRONG YOU ARE!!!!

Again, we are LITERALLY using programs from the 1980's!!! I mean, this shit is ANCIENT!! I'm talking black screen with block letters!!
The basic shit that we had when people started buying home computers way back when.

Yeah, one of the programs we use is up to date, but it's just a program for storing customer information, it doesn't do any actual performance work.
That's what the ANCIENT tech from the 80's is for! And just like Mednax "tech", it' doesn't mesh with any other programs, so we have to use tons of spreadsheets, Note docs, Word docs, etc..... Because the programs cannot interact with each other............this is what we do. We are the "go betweens" entering info from all the spreadsheets, documents, and the customer database into the fucking old shit system. It's a nightmare!

So, if you want to know why your Toyota bills, leases, and other account stuff is fucked to hell.........THIS is why! This BILLION dollar a year company CANNOT BE BOTHERED to buy some fucking UPDATED software for their company!! Which is one of the many reasons their POS cars are so fucking expensive. All the people that have to be hired to do the work of one good current tech piece of software!!!

Sure, it's a job, but we'd have this job anyway, even if they did stop being massive greedmongers and penny pinchers and buy some current tech programs. We'd still have to be the ones entering the information and making adjustments. Just not on the ludicrously dumbassed massive scale it is now.

So next time you find your information fucked up, screwed up, or even missing.........or stolen even...........THIS is why!

These companies have severely OLD, OLD, OOOOOLLLLLLLDDDDDDD technology! And thats how hackers can easily hack into their systems and steal your info.
businesses exist to make money, not provide you with pussy

You think that is bad-- -- the IRS essentially still runs the nation's taxes off of MSDOS. They have some stupid helper program that tried to convert some of it into a more manageable GUI but it crashes constantly.

Well .. better than the Webb telescope with her 286 chip ... or did NASA put a 386 in? ...

I don't know, but I read someplace that modern IC chips don't work in space ... solar wind or cosmic rays will short-circuit the chip because the conductors are too close together ... this was years ago and maybe this has been fixed? ... the excuse is we don't need powerful computers on our satellites, not with exascale here on Earth ... where all the heavy processing can be done ...

I raised rents 33% during the housing crisis ... in a snowstorm ... and had the police department post the notices ... for no reason other than to cover my future gambling debts ... being a tenant sucks ...

Forum List

Back