Judge says Florida’s 15-week abortion law is unconstitutional

Do you think that those who are frightened, on low income, and don't have a car would be extra careful about getting pregnant?

More people would, but the left doesn't even want to consider that.

This will sound stupid and sexist maybe and the abortion thing has never held much fascination to me, but 15 weeks is a long time, almost 4 months. I'm pretty sure it didn't take 15 weeks for her to spread her legs. How could she wait that long missing that many periods and the other symptoms, before figuring out, she's knocked up and not even ready to bring a baby into the world for whatever reason?
You guys are right, though. The states have to decide something, as it has been dumped back in their lap, now, because legislators didn't want to deal with it over 50 years ago and The Supremes came up with an immaculate conception of a ruling, when the legislators did nothing back then and all this time since, but politic and fund raise on it.

I've read about women giving birth who allegedly had no idea they were even pregnant.

More people would, but the left doesn't even want to consider that.

The second link. Blimey, humans are supposed to be an intelligent species, and after reading that, it makes you want the earth to stop revolving so you can step off it

The second link. Blimey, humans are supposed to be an intelligent species, and after reading that, it makes you want the earth to stop revolving so you can step off it

I lost my faith in humans being intelligent just looking at our elections. Our country is totally Fd right now over one guy posting offensive Tweets. Does that sound like intelligent people to you?

I've read about women giving birth who allegedly had no idea they were even pregnant.
Yes. Hearing that now. Told you guys abortion really isn't a fascination issue with me. We planned both pregnancies (PJ's only pregnancies) producing 3 great kids, that have grown to stable, productive, totally self-sufficient, law-abiding, moderately higher educated, responsible adults.

Okay. Let the people in the states decide.

Yeah, either through DEMOCRACY (which they don't have because I think every state has FPTP for voting) or simply people can decide themselves whether they want an abortion or not.

Funny how the right is so against "big government", except when they want something and then they're all for it.

Yeah, either through DEMOCRACY (which they don't have because I think every state has FPTP for voting) or simply people can decide themselves whether they want an abortion or not.

Funny how the right is so against "big government", except when they want something and then they're all for it.
The Supreme Court has withdrawn from the abortion discussion and turned the entire matter to the states where it always belonged.

That right to privacy bullshit again? A woman doesn't have to put a notice in their paper she's having an abortion. If the state determines that a fetus is a human being at X amount of weeks, then aborting the fetus after that point is murder as far as the state is concerned.

In my state if some maniac kills a pregnant woman, he is charged with two murders: one of the mother and the other of her child.
The left claims Europe is so great that we should be like them. Their limit is 12-14 weeks. But 15 isn’t enough for the baby killers.

The left claims Europe is so great that we should be like them. Their limit is 12-14 weeks. But 15 isn’t enough for the baby killers.

I was in that topic where the singer of Green Day claims he's renouncing his citizenship over the Roe decision. I'd like to know where he's going to move to that has more freedom when it comes to abortion than the US. Sure, some states will have very tough limits on abortion, but others will have legal abortion just about up to the day of birth.

“In a setback for Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and Republican lawmakers, a Florida judge has ruled that a new state law banning abortions at 15 weeks is unconstitutional and he intends to block it from taking effect on Friday.”

The Florida supreme court is among the most partisan and corrupt in the country – likely to find a way to get around the privacy rights provision of the Florida state constitution.

But it would be interesting should the women of Florida not be forced to give birth against their will – after all, let the states decide.
This is the way it’s supposed to be. States working this out for themselves.

Your section 23 is ambiguous at best. Even the Supreme Court didn't find any constitutional protections for this so called privacy you speak of. But hey, why didn't healthcare workers use 23 against vaccine mandates by Dementia? Nobody should have the right in federal government to force you to take a medication you don't want or need, and nobody should force you to take any tests you don't want to take either.
What is exactly ambiguous about this statement, Every natural person has the right to be let alone and free from governmental intrusion into the person's private life except as otherwise provided herein?

The US Supreme Court did not find protection for privacy in the US Constitution that would apply to abortion and I have to agree. However this case we are discussing is Florida abortion legislation which is governed by the Florida Constitution of which there is privacy protection that would apply to abortion. Since a violation of this law can not be tried do violation of the state constitution privacy statue as well as HIPPA, the law should be held unconstitutional. I'm not saying it will as the judges in Florida appeals court are political appointments. The Florida Supreme Court is a bit different. Supreme Court Judges are elected from list qualified applicants and rarely voted out of of office. Therefore their decisions are much less likely to be effected by prevailing politics than appeal count judges.

I was in that topic where the singer of Green Day claims he's renouncing his citizenship over the Roe decision. I'd like to know where he's going to move to that has more freedom when it comes to abortion than the US. Sure, some states will have very tough limits on abortion, but others will have legal abortion just about up to the day of birth.
Canada for one, Abortion in Canada is legal at all stages of pregnancy, regardless of the reason, and is publicly funded as a medical procedure. Recently the Supreme Court of Mexico ruled unanimously that a woman could not be penalized for an abortion. In Australia it is completely legal. In most European countries it is legal with few restrictions Most of the countries where abortion is banned are undeveloped poorer countries in Africa and South America.

Last edited:
What is exactly ambiguous about this statement, Every natural person has the right to be let alone and free from governmental intrusion into the person's private life except as otherwise provided herein?

The US Supreme Court did not find protection for privacy in the US Constitution that would apply to abortion and I have to agree. However this case we are discussing is Florida abortion legislation which is governed by the Florida Constitution of which there is privacy protection that would apply to abortion. Since a violation of this law can not be tried do violation of the state constitution privacy statue as well as HIPPA, the law should be held unconstitutional. I'm not saying it will as the judges in Florida appeals court are political appointments. The Florida Supreme Court is a bit different. Supreme Court Judges are elected from list qualified applicants and rarely voted out of of office. Therefore their decisions are much less likely to be effected by prevailing politics than appeal count judges.

It's ambiguous because you can apply that to just about anything. If my neighbor is hosting dog fights, it's his dog, his friends dogs, what right does the state have to make law of what people can do with their own property including pets? After all, title 23 forbids the state from invading the privacy of any citizen, correct?

Maybe my neighbor is beating his wife. None of the states business, is it? Maybe these physical fights is how they keep their relationship from falling apart. It's their private lives, correct? What right does the government have to "intrude" on their private relationship?

But the state if not the federal government did create laws to stop dog fights and physical abuse in marital affairs.

Apparently, you know nothing about how the judicial system works. The ruling by the this Florida judge will go to a state court of appeals, then the Florida Supreme Court. From there it could go into federal court system and end up the US Supreme Court. These courts will not be looking at right life or right to choose. They will be looking at the judges decision and his basis for his decision; simply stated did the state legislature violate sec 23, right of the personal privacy of the Florida State constitution by enacting this law.

If you read section 23, Every natural person has the right to be let alone and free from governmental intrusion into the person's private life except as otherwise provided herein. It's hard to imagine that making a woman's or a child's sexuality activities, methods of contraception, and choice of an abortion public knowledge would not be considered an invasion of privacy. In our society there is practically nothing that is held to be more private than this, yet it would become public record for any arrests or prosecution. However, state judges are political appointees some by the current governor but others that go back many years. So the ruling will likely be political even thou it seems cut and dry.

This case can have national importance because a few Red states pursuing strict abortion laws have privacy laws in their constitution which includes Arizona which is in the same legal fight as Florida.

States with right to privacy enshrined in their constitution - Alaska, Arizona, California, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Montana, New Hampshire, South Carolina and Washington
Ya, this is a nothing burger that will get shot down. There is no privacy law on abortion in the Constitution.

It's ambiguous because you can apply that to just about anything. If my neighbor is hosting dog fights, it's his dog, his friends dogs, what right does the state have to make law of what people can do with their own property including pets? After all, title 23 forbids the state from invading the privacy of any citizen, correct?

Maybe my neighbor is beating his wife. None of the states business, is it? Maybe these physical fights is how they keep their relationship from falling apart. It's their private lives, correct? What right does the government have to "intrude" on their private relationship?

But the state if not the federal government did create laws to stop dog fights and physical abuse in marital affairs.
In the US constitution it is ambiguous but it is not ambiguous in the state constriction. The phrase, except as otherwise provided herein provides the wording that allows exceptions within the state constitution. Warrants and subpoenas issue by the courts are perfectly legal. In other words the court after seeing evidence of illegal activity can violate personal privacy by issuing court orders but the legislature can't create a law that violates personal privacy. It takes a court order to that. However, as I have said, judges on the Florida appeals court are political appointments so depending on the judge that looks at ruling, it may well be overturned. In fact the law was reinstated but it will still face other legal challenges.

Regardless of what the court does, no abortion clinic is going out of business in Florida because over 98% of abortions are done by the end of first trimester which is 12 weeks. If the law stands the cutoff is 15 weeks if it fails it's 28 weeks.

Last edited:
“In a setback for Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and Republican lawmakers, a Florida judge has ruled that a new state law banning abortions at 15 weeks is unconstitutional and he intends to block it from taking effect on Friday.”

The Florida supreme court is among the most partisan and corrupt in the country – likely to find a way to get around the privacy rights provision of the Florida state constitution.

But it would be interesting should the women of Florida not be forced to give birth against their will – after all, let the states decide.

God says You Shall Not Murder!
Abortion is a murder.
So-called 'judge' shall afraid of Hell who is waiting for him!

Forum List

Back