Judge rules for Kountze cheerleaders in Bible banner suit

AUSTIN — A judge says an East Texas school district policy barring cheerleaders from quoting biblical scripture on banners at high school football games appears to violate their free speech rights.

KFDM television in Beaumont reports that District Judge Steve Thomas issued an injunction allowing the Kountze High School cheerleaders to continue displaying such banners pending the outcome of a lawsuit about the matter. He previously granted a temporary restraining order allowing the practice to continue.

The school district ordered the cheerleaders to stop quoting Bible verses after receiving a complaint from the Freedom From Religion Foundation. The group says it received a complaint from an atheist attending a game who felt the school was promoting Christianity.

Thoughts?

it will be overturned if real judges get to it.

if they take state money they can't do that.

You sound stupid. I guess you're gonna ban all picket lines too now huh?

Damn I hate idiots.

AUSTIN — A judge says an East Texas school district policy barring cheerleaders from quoting biblical scripture on banners at high school football games appears to violate their free speech rights.

KFDM television in Beaumont reports that District Judge Steve Thomas issued an injunction allowing the Kountze High School cheerleaders to continue displaying such banners pending the outcome of a lawsuit about the matter. He previously granted a temporary restraining order allowing the practice to continue.

The school district ordered the cheerleaders to stop quoting Bible verses after receiving a complaint from the Freedom From Religion Foundation. The group says it received a complaint from an atheist attending a game who felt the school was promoting Christianity.

Thoughts?

Damn I hate idiots.

She's got a point, and I think will be ultimately proven correct.

Damn I hate idiots.

NO, her point was ignorant and useless.

County Courthouses, Utilities, etc... are paid for by the State tax money too. will picket lines for lower taxes be banned too?

fucking idiots

You are one of the brain dead morons here.

Your comments are ignorant, useless, and complete fecklessness of what the Constitution is about or for.

Go picket yourself, you useless brain-dead moron,.

Damn I hate idiots.

NO, her point was ignorant and useless.

County Courthouses, Utilities, etc... are paid for by the State tax money too. will picket lines for lower taxes be banned too?

fucking idiots

I think you're all missing the point. It's not the message, it's the hot cheerleaders. Is it getting hot in here?

Last edited:
"The kids" are wearing their uniforms and representing their school (on all the taxpayers' money) as they hold religious signs for the football team at a game (on all the taxpayers' money) to run through. East Texans would go bezerk even if the Muslim teams were in North Dakota or Maine.

Most of you supporting the KHS cheerleaders here would go through the ceiling if they were Muslim and holding up religious signs with sayings from the Quran for the team to run through.

ps: as a Christian, my own opinion is that my Lord and Savior is not really concerned if KHS wins or loses.

Stop telling me what I would be doing... If the cheerleaders wanted to do that in Michigan, I'd say nothing... are they inciting violence? If not, so what.... they can do what they want.

Why must you ALWAYS take the wrong side on the Constitution?

Plus, when did anyone say the school required prayer?

Stick to the topic... the signs are made by the kids. Leave them alone for Gods sake!!

Remember... it is freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion.

I really don't care that they choose to put religious messages on their signs, and I wouldn't care if Muslims did it either... The fact that some of you do care is what I find disturbing. Why can't you Libs let people live their own lives, instead of negatively involving yourselves in everything that others do who you disagree with?

And the same can be asked of conservatives regarding privacy rights concerning abortion and equal protection rights for same-sex couples.

The school district was correct to discontinue the practice, as it understands the case law of the issue. The judge has made no ruling as to the Constitutional merits of the case, he’s simply enjoined the school from enacting its policy

As already noted, this case is very similar to Santa Fe Independent School District v. Jane Doe (2000), where the Court held that prayer prior to football games was in violation of the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment:

The high court rejected the argument that the pre-football prayer was an example of "private speech" because the students, not school officials, decided the prayer matter.

But Stevens wrote that the students were able to deliver only religious messages deemed "appropriate" by the school district. That meant, he wrote, "that minority candidates will never prevail and that their views will be effectively silenced.

"Even if we regard every high school student's decision to attend a home football game as purely voluntary, we are nevertheless persuaded that the delivery of a pregame prayer has the improper effect of coercing those present to participate in an act of religious worship," he wrote.

CNN.com - Supreme Court bars student-led prayer at high school football games - June 19, 2000
Whether it’s prayers before a football game or prayer banners during a game, the fundamental Constitutional principle still applies, and the school district’s prohibition of the practice will be upheld as appropriate and not a violation of ‘free speech.’

"The kids" are wearing their uniforms and representing their school (on all the taxpayers' money) as they hold religious signs for the football team at a game (on all the taxpayers' money) to run through. East Texans would go bezerk even if the Muslim teams were in North Dakota or Maine.

Most of you supporting the KHS cheerleaders here would go through the ceiling if they were Muslim and holding up religious signs with sayings from the Quran for the team to run through.

ps: as a Christian, my own opinion is that my Lord and Savior is not really concerned if KHS wins or loses.

Stop telling me what I would be doing... If the cheerleaders wanted to do that in Michigan, I'd say nothing... are they inciting violence? If not, so what.... they can do what they want.

Why must you ALWAYS take the wrong side on the Constitution?

Plus, when did anyone say the school required prayer?

Stick to the topic... the signs are made by the kids. Leave them alone for Gods sake!!

Remember... it is freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion.

That's one weak ass strawman.

False! Sweepingly false.

freedom OF religion is default, freedom FROM religion. It’s such a simple principle, I’m surprised you or anyone else is having such difficulty with it. Well, I’ll correct that statement and advise that I suspect you’re in agreement with Christian displays of religious invocations because those appeals to your partisan religious beliefs
What the issue here is, is the Constitution precludes the government from establishing any religion by law. Now say that part over to yourself very slowly:
Remember, freedom of religion is default freedom from religion, else there is a legal precedence to force you to adhere to the "majority religion" (i.e., Christians are free from believing in competitive religions.

That is an important point because we can see the results of that precept not in force.

Turkish book on Darwin sparks outrage - FT.com

Thank the gods I have freedom from religion.

Late edit - the link requires subscription. Here's the text:

A series of books for primary schoolchildren, describing Charles Darwin as a Jew with a big nose who kept the company of monkeys and other historical figures in anti-Semitic terms, has caused outrage in Turkey amid fears of rising religious intolerance.

A teachers’ union is taking legal action over the distribution of the books last week to about 1,000 schoolchildren in the Maltepe district of Istanbul. The local education authority, which approved the books and ultimately answers to the central government, has denied knowledge of their content.

But the incident has already made waves far beyond Maltepe. It follows previous attacks in Turkey on the theory of evolution; last year, an internet filter briefly restricted access to evolutionist websites.

It also comes in the wake of wide-ranging education reforms pushed through this year by the country’s Islamist-rooted government, which have increased the number of religious schools in Turkey and introduced optional lessons on the Prophet Mohammed in ordinary state schools.

Such changes are hailed by the government as increasing freedom of choice in a country that for decades excluded the religiously conservative majority. Opponents say the secular educational system is being threatened.

“The education system is becoming reactionary; imams are now teaching religion in schools,” said Mehmet Aydogan, an official in the union asking for the books to be impounded. “These books are discrediting worldwide accepted artists and scientists and forcing students to think unscientifically.”

Last edited:

Thoughts?

I think he got it right.

Thoughts?

Who can't do what? Are you saying students lose their rights if the school district takes state money? How does that work, exactly? Does that mean an group of atheists can't get up during a district sponsored event and express their opinion, or does your denial of rights only go against religious expression?

I dunno. A bit much?

cheer.jpg

Probably, but so what? It isn't like the district approves, so you can't say the government is trying to impose religion on the people who go to the games.

I dunno. A bit much?

so, come on, h, you're a conservative... is that ok in a public school?

does it make being christian a requirement of being a cheerleader?

i'm pretty sure it, minimally, creates an environment where the state is fostering religion.

what say you?

Doesn't it ever bother you that you are pretty sure of a lot of things that aren't true.

there is no freedom from religion. That would entail censorship. What we all share is freedom to express our religions or lack there privately and in public. That is freedom.
Political correctness often comes at the expense of balls. Tuck them away enough times and they seem to just fall off.

bs

What, precisely, did he get wrong? Isn't the government telling someone they can't talk about something censorship? Don't you have just as much right to go to a football game with a large banner about the Flying Spaghetti Monster as I have to go with one about the Great Bird of the Galaxy?

why does it take balls to violate the constitution?

How are the cheerleaders violating The Constitution?

Do they not have 1st Amendment rights as well?

The practice is likely un-Constitutional, as it fails the test requiring some secular, non-religious motive.

And there is no free expression issue here, as the cheerleaders have ample alternate avenues to speak concerning their religion.

Excuse me? What fucking test are you talking about? Where are the citations?

The practice is likely un-Constitutional, as it fails the test requiring some secular, non-religious motive.

And there is no free expression issue here, as the cheerleaders have ample alternate avenues to speak concerning their religion.

:lame2:

And there IS a " free expression" issue here.... they are being denied their freedom of expression.

no. there are limits on free speech in this context.

again... if they were carrying signs that said allah akhbar, you'd be pitching a fit.

Wanna bet?

if they were carrying signs that said allah akhbar, you'd be pitching a fit.

How stupid are you?

Are the girls doing that Jillian? No... why ya got to go and get all idiotic about it?

BTW... God is great :D

the point is that we don't discriminate based on religion. and what's good for one is good for every other...and for people who believe in NO religion. state funded institutions have to be welcoming to everyone. and just because the religion in question is your chosen flavor, doesn't make it ok.

i think it should be my flavor, how 'bout that? particularly given that i find most other religions pretty far-fetched and don't understand worshipping a jewish rabbi.

(see how that works?)

we have no chosen religion in this country.

they are not allowed to foster any particular religion.

if you don't like the constitution, feel free to live in the theocracy of your choice.

and you really need to stop telling people they're stupid ....

i

Yet you are demanding that you be allowed to discriminate based on religion.

if you can't avoid praying for the time you're in school, you should go to a parochial school and not to a public school which has rules about those things.

i'm pretty sure that if it were a school in michigan and the cheerleaders were muslim you'd be whining about creeping sha'ria

Ummm...Public Schools in Dearborn don't have football practice during the day on Ramadan. There are also muslim foot baths on the Uof M Dearborn Compass. You want to know something about Dearborn? just ask I grew up right on the Detroit, Dearborn border

aside from the fact that your analogy fails, i'd kind of like to see a link on that from a credible source;.

they don't have events on holidays in order to be INCLUSIVE... not exclusive....

you'd be offended if activities were held on yom kippur.

let me know when they're carrying around signs on the field with muslim prayers on them.

Would I would be offended if they have football games on Christmas? :eusa_whistle:

You conservative Christian homers are all in left field. Take the David Barton false analysis and your comparative fallacies home with you. No scholar of the Constitution or a real Christian is going to buy your self-serving nonsense.

You don't get to preach Christianity on tax-payer dollars. Period.

There is no freedom from religion. That would entail censorship. What we all share is freedom to express our religions or lack there of privately and in public. That is freedom.
Political correctness often comes at the expense of balls. Tuck them away enough times and they seem to just fall off.

Of course there is, no right is absolute, and all rights are subject to some restrictions.

Americans have the right to be free from religion as expressed or endorsed by government or other public entities.

One is free to express his religious beliefs in pubic or private provided there is no excessive government entanglement, or manifests an improper conjoining of church and State.

Once again, since no right is absolute, what, exactly, are the restrictions on the "right to abortion" prior to viability?

For my former friend Jillian...

Mich. football program adjusts for Muslim players, Ramadan

DEARBORN, Michigan (AP) — Illuminated by the night lights on the football field, Adnan Restum joined a scrum of teammates at the end-zone water fountain, taking a break from a grueling preseason workout to guzzle a drink.
In just a few hours, he wouldn't be able to take a sip. But the 17-year-old defensive tackle could rehydrate guilt-free during the 11 p.m. to 4 a.m. practice, and succumb to tempting boxes full of granola bars and chocolate milk, too.

The moonlight practice is tailored for Restum and fellow Muslim teammates who make up a majority of the Fordson High School squad in the large Muslim community in Dearborn, Mich. It's a way for the players to practice football and their faith, and balance the fasting common during the 30-day holy month of Ramadan that started last week

Mich. football program adjusts for Muslim players, Ramadan - USATODAY.com

Anyone want to bet how long it will take her to admit you were right?

Forum List

Back