Judge rules for Kountze cheerleaders in Bible banner suit

if you can't avoid praying for the time you're in school, you should go to a parochial school and not to a public school which has rules about those things.

i'm pretty sure that if it were a school in michigan and the cheerleaders were muslim you'd be whining about creeping sha'ria

Ummm...Public Schools in Dearborn don't have football practice during the day on Ramadan. There are also muslim foot baths on the Uof M Dearborn Compass. You want to know something about Dearborn? just ask I grew up right on the Detroit, Dearborn border

aside from the fact that your analogy fails, i'd kind of like to see a link on that from a credible source;.

they don't have events on holidays in order to be INCLUSIVE... not exclusive....

you'd be offended if activities were held on yom kippur.

let me know when they're carrying around signs on the field with muslim prayers on them.

No I wouldn't if they weren't Jewish..Link? I'm telling you i live here, come on now... Snap out of it, will you?:eusa_eh:

How stupid are you?

Are the girls doing that Jillian? No... why ya got to go and get all idiotic about it?

BTW... God is great :D

the point is that we don't discriminate based on religion. and what's good for one is good for every other...and for people who believe in NO religion. state funded institutions have to be welcoming to everyone. and just because the religion in question is your chosen flavor, doesn't make it ok.

i think it should be my flavor, how 'bout that? particularly given that i find most other religions pretty far-fetched and don't understand worshipping a jewish rabbi.

(see how that works?)

we have no chosen religion in this country.

they are not allowed to foster any particular religion.

if you don't like the constitution, feel free to live in the theocracy of your choice.

and you really need to stop telling people they're stupid ....

i

Well, it's not like he lied about you and then refused to apologize......

I call it like I see it.... stupid is as stupid does.

There is no freedom from religion. That would entail censorship. What we all share is freedom to express our religions or lack there of privately and in public. That is freedom.
Political correctness often comes at the expense of balls. Tuck them away enough times and they seem to just fall off.

Of course there is, no right is absolute, and all rights are subject to some restrictions.

Americans have the right to be free from religion as expressed or endorsed by government or other public entities.

One is free to express his religious beliefs in pubic or private provided there is no excessive government entanglement, or manifests an improper conjoining of church and State.

the point is that we don't discriminate based on religion. and what's good for one is good for every other...and for people who believe in NO religion. state funded institutions have to be welcoming to everyone. and just because the religion in question is your chosen flavor, doesn't make it ok.

i think it should be my flavor, how 'bout that? particularly given that i find most other religions pretty far-fetched and don't understand worshipping a jewish rabbi.

(see how that works?)

if you don't like the constitution, feel free to live in the theocracy of your choice.

i

and yet no one lied about you.

but back to the point of the thread...

courts exist to protect the rest of us from people like you.

and THAT is as it should be... and this decision will be reversed.

have a good night.

Your wrong this time... now go away.

And asking that all other beliefs be squelched because they are not your chosen, is not welcoming to everyone, just you.

For my former friend Jillian...

Mich. football program adjusts for Muslim players, Ramadan

DEARBORN, Michigan (AP) — Illuminated by the night lights on the football field, Adnan Restum joined a scrum of teammates at the end-zone water fountain, taking a break from a grueling preseason workout to guzzle a drink.
In just a few hours, he wouldn't be able to take a sip. But the 17-year-old defensive tackle could rehydrate guilt-free during the 11 p.m. to 4 a.m. practice, and succumb to tempting boxes full of granola bars and chocolate milk, too.

The moonlight practice is tailored for Restum and fellow Muslim teammates who make up a majority of the Fordson High School squad in the large Muslim community in Dearborn, Mich. It's a way for the players to practice football and their faith, and balance the fasting common during the 30-day holy month of Ramadan that started last week

Mich. football program adjusts for Muslim players, Ramadan - USATODAY.com

There is no freedom from religion. That would entail censorship. What we all share is freedom to express our religions or lack there of privately and in public. That is freedom.
Political correctness often comes at the expense of balls. Tuck them away enough times and they seem to just fall off.

Of course there is, no right is absolute, and all rights are subject to some restrictions.

Americans have the right to be free from religion as expressed or endorsed by government or other public entities.

One is free to express his religious beliefs in pubic or private provided there is no excessive government entanglement, or manifests an improper conjoining of church and State.

The school is not putting the signs up... the cheerleades are.

Plus, there is NO separation of church and state. This is only implied...

(see how that works?)

i

I call it like I see it.... stupid is as stupid does.

you're certainly proof

DEARBORN, Michigan (AP) — Illuminated by the night lights on the football field, Adnan Restum joined a scrum of teammates at the end-zone water fountain, taking a break from a grueling preseason workout to guzzle a drink.
In just a few hours, he wouldn't be able to take a sip. But the 17-year-old defensive tackle could rehydrate guilt-free during the 11 p.m. to 4 a.m. practice, and succumb to tempting boxes full of granola bars and chocolate milk, too.

The moonlight practice is tailored for Restum and fellow Muslim teammates who make up a majority of the Fordson High School squad in the large Muslim community in Dearborn, Mich. It's a way for the players to practice football and their faith, and balance the fasting common during the 30-day holy month of Ramadan that started last week

But thats somehow different to liberals. :eusa_eh:

But thats somehow different to liberals. :eusa_eh:

They are in denial

"The kids" are wearing their uniforms and representing their school (on all the taxpayers' money) as they hold religious signs for the football team at a game (on all the taxpayers' money) to run through. East Texans would go bezerk even if the Muslim teams were in North Dakota or Maine.

Most of you supporting the KHS cheerleaders here would go through the ceiling if they were Muslim and holding up religious signs with sayings from the Quran for the team to run through.

ps: as a Christian, my own opinion is that my Lord and Savior is not really concerned if KHS wins or loses.

How are the cheerleaders violating The Constitution?

Do they not have 1st Amendment rights as well?

if you can't avoid praying for the time you're in school, you should go to a parochial school and not to a public school which has rules about those things.

i'm pretty sure that if it were a school in michigan and the cheerleaders were muslim you'd be whining about creeping sha'ria

Stop telling me what I would be doing... If the cheerleaders wanted to do that in Michigan, I'd say nothing... are they inciting violence? If not, so what.... they can do what they want.

Why must you ALWAYS take the wrong side on the Constitution?

Plus, when did anyone say the school required prayer?

Stick to the topic... the signs are made by the kids. Leave them alone for Gods sake!!

Remember... it is freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion.

Judge rules for Kountze cheerleaders in Bible banner suit

AUSTIN — A judge says an East Texas school district policy barring cheerleaders from quoting biblical scripture on banners at high school football games appears to violate their free speech rights.

KFDM television in Beaumont reports that District Judge Steve Thomas issued an injunction allowing the Kountze High School cheerleaders to continue displaying such banners pending the outcome of a lawsuit about the matter. He previously granted a temporary restraining order allowing the practice to continue.

The school district ordered the cheerleaders to stop quoting Bible verses after receiving a complaint from the Freedom From Religion Foundation. The group says it received a complaint from an atheist attending a game who felt the school was promoting Christianity.

Thoughts?

it will be overturned if real judges get to it.

if they take state money they can't do that.

No, it probably won't seeing that the actions of the Cheerleaders are protected by the first amendment. What part of no laws prohibiting the free exercise of your religon do so many people have a problem understanding?

"The kids" are wearing their uniforms and representing their school (on all the taxpayers' money) as they hold religious signs for the football team at a game (on all the taxpayers' money) to run through. East Texans would go bezerk even if the Muslim teams were in North Dakota or Maine.

Most of you supporting the KHS cheerleaders here would go through the ceiling if they were Muslim and holding up religious signs with sayings from the Quran for the team to run through.

ps: as a Christian, my own opinion is that my Lord and Savior is not really concerned if KHS wins or loses.

Stop telling me what I would be doing... If the cheerleaders wanted to do that in Michigan, I'd say nothing... are they inciting violence? If not, so what.... they can do what they want.

Why must you ALWAYS take the wrong side on the Constitution?

Plus, when did anyone say the school required prayer?

Stick to the topic... the signs are made by the kids. Leave them alone for Gods sake!!

Remember... it is freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion.

What state do you live in where the tax payer pays for the kids uniforms? Here's the facts. the Cheerleaders are well within their Constitutional rights and the Constitution says the govt cannot prohibit the free exercise of relgion or of speech. All the rest of this is just pure bs.

Forum List

Back