Job Interviews

presonorek

Gold Member
Jun 7, 2015
Alabama
What are job interviews like today versus 3+ years ago in your personal experience?

In the past job interviews were usually brutal interrogations. Now I find them to be an unnecessary formality. They just tell you about the job and ask you what day you can start. I had one today that the interviewer didn’t show up. Is this the sign of a shortage of workers or just the post Covid laid back attitude?

Prior to the interview you have to go through the application process. I can apply for 30 jobs now in the time it used to take me to apply for one. Am I the only one experiencing these new trends in employee recruiting?

What are job interviews like today versus 3+ years ago in your personal experience?

In the past job interviews were usually brutal interrogations. Now I find them to be an unnecessary formality. They just tell you about the job and ask you what day you can start. I had one today that the interviewer didn’t show up. Is this the sign of a shortage of workers or just the post Covid laid back attitude?

Prior to the interview you have to go through the application process. I can apply for 30 jobs now in the time it used to take me to apply for one. Am I the only one experiencing these new trends in employee recruiting?
I saw this coming before I retired and was put on an interview committee. The interviews were completely irrelevant to the job. I recall my job search years--I pounded the pavement, asked for jobs, showed up in clean clothing that was appropriate for the job, filled out applications and answered interview questions that were relevant to the required tasks. I don't think I ever provided a resume. However, the last job I was hired for was in 1979. My how things have changed.

I saw this coming before I retired and was put on an interview committee. The interviews were completely irrelevant to the job. I recall my job search years--I pounded the pavement, asked for jobs, showed up in clean clothing that was appropriate for the job, filled out applications and answered interview questions that were relevant to the required tasks. I don't think I ever provided a resume. However, the last job I was hired for was in 1979. My how things have changed.

Well. You are referring to the prior Covid process. Today applying for job is as easy as pie and not torturous at all. Resumes are less of a thing now too. I failed to mention that.

The economy does better when workers move from job to job vs staying at one place for years.

Resumes are less of a thing now too. I failed to mention that.

That would depend upon the type of job you are applying for.

If you are trying to be a fry cook at Wendy's then you are correct, same with a clerk at Walmart.

If you are going for any sort of professional job then you will not even be talked to without a resume.

It has all changed, and long before COVID.

Getting hired now is much harder in my opinion. When I got my job as a welder before joining the Corps I went to the HR every Thursday and asked for a job till they got tired of seeing me and hired me. This is not possible any longer.

Now it is all electronic, your resume goes into a database and if you do not have the right keywords it will never pop up for the HR/recruiter to even see that it exist.

The economy does better when workers move from job to job vs staying at one place for years.

Not sure you could provide any evidence to support that claim, but I am will to wait and see if you have any

Forum List

Back