Japan's Prime Minister Suga resigns

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Wow, there has to be more to this. He was boldly and bravely standing up to China and siding with Taiwan. Now he resigns due to a virus he cannot control?

Let's hope his replacement isn't weak, or it could spell major trouble for the West.

Amid growing criticism of his handling of the pandemic, Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga said Friday he won’t run for the leadership of the governing party later this month, paving the way for a new Japanese leader after just a year in office.

Suga told reporters that heading Japan’s pandemic response and campaigning to lead his governing Liberal Democratic Party at the same time divided his energies. "I have decided not to run for the party leadership elections, as I would like to focus on coronavirus measures," Suga told reporters who rushed to his office after the news broke.

Two Cabinet ministers in former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's government have come out as potential candidates: dovish former Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida, currently seen as a top contender, and former Interior Minister Sanae Takaichi, who shares Abe's rightwing ideology.

Current Vaccinations Minister Taro Kono also expressed interest on Friday, saying he will make a final decision after consulting fellow lawmakers. Former Defense Miniter Shigeru Ishiba, a favorite in media surveys, and Seiko Noda, former gender equality minister, also reportedly have expressed intentions to run.

Wow, there has to be more to this. He was boldly and bravely standing up to China and siding with Taiwan. Now he resigns due to a virus he cannot control?

Let's hope his replacement isn't weak, or it could spell major trouble for the West.

Amid growing criticism of his handling of the pandemic, Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga said Friday he won’t run for the leadership of the governing party later this month, paving the way for a new Japanese leader after just a year in office.

Suga told reporters that heading Japan’s pandemic response and campaigning to lead his governing Liberal Democratic Party at the same time divided his energies. "I have decided not to run for the party leadership elections, as I would like to focus on coronavirus measures," Suga told reporters who rushed to his office after the news broke.

Two Cabinet ministers in former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's government have come out as potential candidates: dovish former Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida, currently seen as a top contender, and former Interior Minister Sanae Takaichi, who shares Abe's rightwing ideology.

Current Vaccinations Minister Taro Kono also expressed interest on Friday, saying he will make a final decision after consulting fellow lawmakers. Former Defense Miniter Shigeru Ishiba, a favorite in media surveys, and Seiko Noda, former gender equality minister, also reportedly have expressed intentions to run.

Biden should resign too.

Oh wait......that would put U (ugly) Harris in charge.....

She should resign too.

That would put Nanc............

Uh....Biden should stay.

Like I care who the PM of Japan is. Oh, and tell the OP that Japan is not the "West". Especially since Europe and the US are not concentric to a global position.

after just one year. i'm just hearing about this

world leaders are not the "superstars" people make them out to be...most of them are corrupt and mess up in one way or another

Forum List

Back