It's Snowing All Over The Place, But Don't Eat The Snow!,It's Not As Clean As A Frozen Slurpee !!

Rexx Taylor

Platinum Member
Jan 6, 2015
Sarasota, Florida
:cow::sad::cheeky-smiley-018: This story was brought up recently on Fox? Do you have kids? better make sure they don't eat the snow. But most of us know by now that the snow is no longer safe to eat like it was during the Reagan years. Now we live in a time when we don't know what toxins are in the snow. This is a web-page you can take a look at if you want to know what else is in the snow besides water.
Snow Is Delicious. But Is It Dangerous To Eat?
But is it racist to refuse to eat "White Snow"?

:cow::sad::cheeky-smiley-018: This story was brought up recently on Fox? Do you have kids? better make sure they don't eat the snow. But most of us know by now that the snow is no longer safe to eat like it was during the Reagan years. Now we live in a time when we don't know what toxins are in the snow. This is a web-page you can take a look at if you want to know what else is in the snow besides water.

I was thinking eating Snow White, is that OK?

This article does not agree with you. It is basically saying eating snow poses no health risks, by and large. Who would have guessed that? - - - I suppose 10 years from now science will reverse itself like so many cancer or diet claims.

From your article:
But even if you start to collect as soon as it begins to flurry, Gaffney reassures me that contaminants in snow are "all at levels well below toxic."

Long-lost pesticides might also show up in snow in some places, according to Staci Simonich, a professor of environmental and toxic ecology at Oregon State University. She found pesticides that were 30, 40 and 50 years old in high elevations in several U.S. national parks (including Olympic in Washington, Denali in Alaska and Sequoia in California). But the levels were 100 times lower than what's deemed safe for drinking water.

And what about in urban and suburban areas, where most of us harvest our snow? Simonich says that pesticide concentrations are likely higher in backyard snow. "That being said, I would not hesitate for my children to have the joy of eating a handful of fresh fallen snow from my backyard ... Because the pesticide concentrations are low and the amount of snow eaten in a handful is small, so the one-time dose is very low and not a risk to health."

Only when Snow White is involved...

Forum List

Back