Israel’s Knesset considers bill to identify Palestinian Christians as ‘non-Arab’

aris2chat

Gold Member
Feb 17, 2012
Israel’s Knesset considers bill to identify Palestinian Christians as ‘non-Arab’
levantreport.com/2014/02/23/israels-knesset-considers-bill-to-identify-palestinian-christians-as-non-arab/
Brad Hoff
One of the oldest churches in the world (over 1600 years), St. Porphyrius Orthodox church in Gaza.

St. Porphyrios Orthodox church in Gaza, 5th century

The delusional virtual reality that many in the West already live in will now possibly be given legal justification by the Israeli government. Israel’s Knesset is now considering a bill that would identify all Palestinian Christians with Israeli citizenship as non-Arab. It is unclear then how their culture, ethnicity, or language will be defined, but what is clear is that Israel intends to simply declare a fiction through mere legal fiat. Israel knows what it’s doing, but this will only serve to confirm the deep ignorance of pro-Israel Americans and Westerners in general when it comes to demographic realities among Palestinians. See this from the original Al-Akhbar report:

The bill was proposed by Yariv Levin, coalition chairman for the governing conservative Likud-Yisrael Beitenu faction, in January.“My legislation will award separate representation and a separate frame of reference to the Christian public, distinguishing them from Muslim Arabs,” Levin had said at the time. “This is an important, historic step that could introduce balance to the State of Israel, and connect us [Jews] with the Christians,” he added. “I make sure not to refer to them as Arabs, because they are not Arabs.”

It is easier for Israel to sell its policies to the Western public if it can maintain a simplistic black-and-white narrative of an Israeli Jewish fight against a sea of Arab Muslims. This ultimately serves to underscore the narrative of Palestinian Arab=Muslim. Nevermind the large sectors within Palestinian society that lack affiliation with Islam: secularists, communists, Arab nationalist, Druze, or Christians. And nevermind the inconvenient fact that the oldest identity when it comes to the Palestinian Arab demographic is represented in the Christian segment of the population. For a little review see here:

There are over 14 million Christians living in the Middle East (most are Orthodox, followed by Catholics). These Christian communities, in their ancient origins, predate the existence of Islam. Arabic as a spoken language was used by Christians six centuries prior to the writing of the Koran, and Church history testifies to the presence of at least one Arab bishop at the Council of Nicaea.

levantreport.com/2014/02/23/israels-knesset-considers-bill-to-identify-palestinian-christians-as-non-arab/
Brad Hoff
One of the oldest churches in the world (over 1600 years), St. Porphyrius Orthodox church in Gaza.

St. Porphyrios Orthodox church in Gaza, 5th century

The delusional virtual reality that many in the West already live in will now possibly be given legal justification by the Israeli government. Israel’s Knesset is now considering a bill that would identify all Palestinian Christians with Israeli citizenship as non-Arab. It is unclear then how their culture, ethnicity, or language will be defined, but what is clear is that Israel intends to simply declare a fiction through mere legal fiat. Israel knows what it’s doing, but this will only serve to confirm the deep ignorance of pro-Israel Americans and Westerners in general when it comes to demographic realities among Palestinians. See this from the original Al-Akhbar report:

The bill was proposed by Yariv Levin, coalition chairman for the governing conservative Likud-Yisrael Beitenu faction, in January.“My legislation will award separate representation and a separate frame of reference to the Christian public, distinguishing them from Muslim Arabs,” Levin had said at the time. “This is an important, historic step that could introduce balance to the State of Israel, and connect us [Jews] with the Christians,” he added. “I make sure not to refer to them as Arabs, because they are not Arabs.”

It is easier for Israel to sell its policies to the Western public if it can maintain a simplistic black-and-white narrative of an Israeli Jewish fight against a sea of Arab Muslims. This ultimately serves to underscore the narrative of Palestinian Arab=Muslim. Nevermind the large sectors within Palestinian society that lack affiliation with Islam: secularists, communists, Arab nationalist, Druze, or Christians. And nevermind the inconvenient fact that the oldest identity when it comes to the Palestinian Arab demographic is represented in the Christian segment of the population. For a little review see here:

There are over 14 million Christians living in the Middle East (most are Orthodox, followed by Catholics). These Christian communities, in their ancient origins, predate the existence of Islam. Arabic as a spoken language was used by Christians six centuries prior to the writing of the Koran, and Church history testifies to the presence of at least one Arab bishop at the Council of Nicaea.

No doubt this Greek Orthodox priest would agree with this bill. According to Father Gabriel Nadaf, Israel needs to stop classifying local Christians as "Arabs." As he explained to News1, the historical ethnic background of Christians in Israel is a mix of Jewish, Greek, Roman, Assyrian and other such peoples all of whom were here long before the Arab Muslims showed up.

'Christians should not be classified as Arabs' - Israel Today | Israel News

for discussion>>>>

!) Are christians who hail from countries today called "arab countries" and
whose mother tongue is arabic----"ARABS"???

2) Are jews who hail from countries today called "arab countries" and whose
mother tongues is "arabic" ---- "ARABS"???

for the record----my husband was born in a country today called an ARAB country ----
and his ancestors did speak------arabic mixed with hebrew. For that matter
my great grandparents were born in countries which are today called
european------ they spoke a language which was a combination of
various indo european tongues and hebrew called "yiddish" I believe (but am
not sure) that my maternal grandfather was born in a place which is now part of
Poland (not sure) but he never considered himself a POLE I know for
absolutely certain----that my husband who was not only born in a country now
called an "arab" country----but in the same country in which HIS ancestors lived
for more than 2500 years ----does not call himself an "arab"

another point-----I hope aris can snswer--------were COPTIC and MARONITE christians
speaking "arabic" ------1800 years ago?

for discussion>>>>

for the record----my husband was born in a country today called an ARAB country ----
called an "arab" country----but in the same country in which HIS ancestors lived

another point-----I hope aris can snswer--------were COPTIC and MARONITE christians

Coptics call themselves Egyptians, never arabs
Maronites call themselves Lebanese or phoenicians
Lebanese used to speak Aramaic and phoenician before the arab conquest. Greek and latin would have been common in the area as well.
Coptics speak and ancient egyptican language. I believe they used to speak greek as well and latin

for discussion>>>>

Lebanese used to speak Aramaic and phoenician before the arab conquest. Greek and latin would have been common in the area as well.
Coptics speak and ancient egyptican language. I believe they used to speak greek as well and latin

Thanks aris-----I am but a dabbler----but you do confirm that which was
my own understanding for many years. I have noticed in the past few decades--
a fascinating NEW history-----that being that ARABIZATION of the entire
middle east for the past 5 billion years. Our very own board lawyer insists that
the person featured in the "NEW TESTAMENT" spoke and was literate in
ARABIC!!!! In fact I have seen bits of writing in which the writers seem to
INSIST that the PHAROAHS of old-----(including Ramses and Yul Brynner) were
ARABS !!!!! Even when I was a kid (young and beautiful many decades ago)
-----the art of GLASSMAKING was claimed as being a feat attributed to the
"ARAB WORLD"--------well----actually phonecians in syria did it------but lately they are
being called "arabs" Yes---GREEK was the language of "culture" -----something
like -----between 3000 and 2000 years ago (as far as I understand) -----but somehow---
that idea is being REPLACED with -----arabic------forget about "aramaic" Aramaic
has been REDEFINED as-----arabic. -------and muhummad invented sliced bread)

sorry Aris------forget about that aramaic stuff------it is ZIONIST PROPAGANDA

I think the Bill more than anything is aimed at protecting the Christians and not having them pay for what the Muslims are doing. They should be thankful that Israel is the only country in the ME who not only protects them, but also acknowledges their existence as a separate and ancient people with equal rights.

for discussion>>>>

The Iraqi Jews who fled to Iran and other countries, consider themselves Iraqi although it is an identity that is aimed at separating themselves culturally, they feel no patriotism whatsoever towards any of these Arab Muslim countries. Sometimes Iranian Jews refer to the Iraqis as "Arabs" but again that is not as race or an insult (which it is in Persian culture) but as background or culture. Even the Jews introduce themselves sometimes as "Arabs".

Arabic came from aramaic not the othe way around

16evolofalphabets100Percent.jpg

584px-Semitic_1st_AD.svg.png

for discussion>>>>

Thanks aris-----I am but a dabbler----but you do confirm that which was
my own understanding for many years. I have noticed in the past few decades--
a fascinating NEW history-----that being that ARABIZATION of the entire
middle east for the past 5 billion years. Our very own board lawyer insists that
the person featured in the "NEW TESTAMENT" spoke and was literate in
ARABIC!!!! In fact I have seen bits of writing in which the writers seem to
INSIST that the PHAROAHS of old-----(including Ramses and Yul Brynner) were
ARABS !!!!! Even when I was a kid (young and beautiful many decades ago)
-----the art of GLASSMAKING was claimed as being a feat attributed to the
"ARAB WORLD"--------well----actually phonecians in syria did it------but lately they are
being called "arabs" Yes---GREEK was the language of "culture" -----something
like -----between 3000 and 2000 years ago (as far as I understand) -----but somehow---
that idea is being REPLACED with -----arabic------forget about "aramaic" Aramaic
has been REDEFINED as-----arabic. -------and muhummad invented sliced bread)

sorry Aris------forget about that aramaic stuff------it is ZIONIST PROPAGANDA

Last edited:

Thanks for the family tree---aris-----I bit surprising to me----I kinda thought that
the Indo european languages-----developed a bit more SEPARATELY ---as in
a kind of parallel evolution (of course some cross contamination)

Now for a burning question-----It is my impression that arabist propagandaists have
been trying DESPERATELY for several decades to make out like lots and lots
of people self identify as ARABS. It is certainly very much a BAATHIST thing..

I never met a jew who thought of himself as an arab. Jews from arab countries that have few or no christians seem to have used the word "arab" back then like we use the word "gentile" (that is we middle class american jews) something like "all those other people--not us"

Now the question----How do christians in the middle east react to being designated
as "arab"??? I never came across anyone objecting

Thanks for the family tree---aris-----I bit surprising to me----I kinda thought that
the Indo european languages-----developed a bit more SEPARATELY ---as in
a kind of parallel evolution (of course some cross contamination)

Now for a burning question-----It is my impression that arabist propagandaists have
been trying DESPERATELY for several decades to make out like lots and lots
of people self identify as ARABS. It is certainly very much a BAATHIST thing..

I never met a jew who thought of himself as an arab. Jews from arab countries that have few or no christians seem to have used the word "arab" back then like we use the word "gentile" (that is we middle class american jews) something like "all those other people--not us"

Now the question----How do christians in the middle east react to being designated
as "arab"??? I never came across anyone objecting

Arabic as a spoken language identifies the people in the region. Racially they are a mix of tribes, conquering nations, immigrants, traders, slaves and adventurers.
Racially arabs come from the peninsula but those that speak arabic cover the whole of north africa, arabia and the middle east.

Forum List

Back