Is there a similarity between today's Democrats and the 1950's McCarthy Hearings?

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
In the McCarthy Hearings that took place during the 83rd Congress of 1953-1954, close to five hundred witnesses plead the Fifth Amendment when questioned before the three congressional committees.

Of those who plead the Fifth, McCarthy would say, 'If you use [the Fifth Amendment], it proves you're guilty."

McCarthy Hearing Testimony Unsealed

One of those questioned by the hearings was Howard Fast. He recounts his use of the Fifth Amendment in an article in February 1954:

"Each time I called upon the protection of the Fifth Amendment during my appearance before the McCarthy Committee last year, I demanded from the Senators the right to state why I was using this privilege. They were almost hysterical in their unwillingness to grant me that right. The hearing was being televised, and they had no desire to allow an explanation of the beginnings of the Fifth Amendment to go out over the air to millions of Americans. Nevertheless, an explanation of the origin of this amendment is most important in the struggle for our civil liberties, as well as to augment our knowledge of our democratic heritage. It is not accidental that the Constitution of the United States provided that no person should be forced to give evidence against himself. Quite to the contrary, this became one of the ten articles of the Bill of Rights precisely because it was of deep import and meaning to the men and women who lived at the time of the American Revolution..."

Howard Fast: Why the Fifth Amendment?

In the McCarthy Hearings that took place during the 83rd Congress of 1953-1954, close to five hundred witnesses plead the Fifth Amendment when questioned before the three congressional committees.

Of those who plead the Fifth, McCarthy would say, 'If you use [the Fifth Amendment], it proves you're guilty."

McCarthy Hearing Testimony Unsealed

One of those questioned by the hearings was Howard Fast. He recounts his use of the Fifth Amendment in an article in February 1954:

"Each time I called upon the protection of the Fifth Amendment during my appearance before the McCarthy Committee last year, I demanded from the Senators the right to state why I was using this privilege. They were almost hysterical in their unwillingness to grant me that right. The hearing was being televised, and they had no desire to allow an explanation of the beginnings of the Fifth Amendment to go out over the air to millions of Americans. Nevertheless, an explanation of the origin of this amendment is most important in the struggle for our civil liberties, as well as to augment our knowledge of our democratic heritage. It is not accidental that the Constitution of the United States provided that no person should be forced to give evidence against himself. Quite to the contrary, this became one of the ten articles of the Bill of Rights precisely because it was of deep import and meaning to the men and women who lived at the time of the American Revolution..."

Howard Fast: Why the Fifth Amendment?
Its kind of reverse McCarthyism isn't it? McCarthy was trying to expose and prosecute communists, now the commies are trying to penalize those who love and support America.

Its kind of reverse McCarthyism isn't it? McCarthy was trying to expose and prosecute communists, now the commies are trying to penalize those who love and support America.

We taught them well, didn't we? :laughing0301:

I don't know the details of the McCarthy hearings. Did he coerce the DOJ and the FBI to act like a secret police force against private citizens the way the Democrats have? :dunno:

Many Democrats still believe Trump is a "Russian agent", even today.

This isn't so much like the McCarthy hearings as they are like the Committee of Public Safety hearings during the French Revolution.

Law of 22 Prairial, which forbade prisoners to employ counsel for their defense, and suppressed the hearing of witnesses,

Forum List

Back