Is Progressivism descended from White Man's Burden?

It's far more simpleminded to believe that the political ideologies of the two parties didn't have a swap, which they did... which is evidenced by history.

What a stupid thing to say. If that is the level of your understanding of history, there's no reason at all to take you seriously.

Maybe this will help you, though I doubt you'll understand enough to see the truth.

A Short History of Democrats, Republicans, and Racism

And notice that link was pure common sense, no communist law professors spinning a web of illogical and incoherent philosophies.

Fact: Southern Democrats who opposed equality switched to the Republican party.

History for the simpleminded.

It's far more simpleminded to believe that the political ideologies of the two parties didn't have a swap, which they did... which is evidenced by history.

You're a know-nothing, historical illiterate. You understand nothing about this particular dynamic at all. The Democratic Party has always been the party of pitchfork racism and demagoguery. Democrat, thy name is Jacobin.

Last edited:
Fact: Southern Democrats who opposed equality switched to the Republican party.

Ah, but there's the rub. No one really looks into this, but living in the South, it's all around me.

Southern Democracy back in the 50s and 60s were different from just about anyone else. Realize that the Civil War had only been over for about a century - short enough that a lot of politicians' fathers or grandfathers recall it. The only reason that Southern Democrats were such was because Abraham Lincoln was a Republican, and giving the beating his Union Army gave the South was still a sore spot in the 20th Century.

(As an aside, never bring up General Sherman to someone knowledgeable about the war in Georgia. Whereas many see him as a hero that helped to end the war, many here see him as a butcher who killed many innocent lives.)

Southern Democrats were neither conservative or liberal. They were anti-black rights radicals. Whichever party appeared to support that was their enemy. When LBJ hijacked Eisenhower's Civil Rights Act for himself, Southern Democrats switched to Republican because it appeared to them that Democrats supported the bill.

And yes, at the time, there were racists on both sides. But the southern politicians and people were far and away bleeding insane when it came to it.

Were not debating war with germany, were not debating slavery, were debating social security, medicare, immigration. democrats support those things, republicans dont. stop acting like lincoln would be a republican today.

Lincoln would support slavery via dependency on whites?

I don't think Lincoln would have attempted to take hold of the Presidency had he been born today. He would have looked at the way things were SNAFU'd and would walk away.

The OP has the absurd idea that no help equals help. When in reality no help is no help.

Also, I asked him to name one time he sided with blacks on anything...in reality. Not that candyland bullshit about "every person gets a gun" and "stop helping and that'll help". I'm talking ACTUAL events.

So why was the old south Democratic until 1964, and Republican ever since? lol

The South was reliably democrat until 1968 when Nixon used his "southern strategy" to polarize the nation because of the anti war protests. Blacks took this inopportune moment in history to begin a violent black power movement that further pushed southern democrats away.

The Southern Strategy was implemented in the 1968 Richard Nixon-Hubert Humphrey election. In the Southern states, voters were concerned about state order and law enforcement. There were frequent reports of rioting young Americans burning army draft cards and US flags in response to the Vietnam War, African-American students rioting and the 'hippy movement', drugs, and 'free love'.

All of these factors concerned the Southern white population, a deeply Christian and patriotic part of America: the reports scandalized many and created a concern about law and order. After the assassination of Martian Luther King, the Civil Rights movement became a more freely violent movement with the relationship between whites and blacks becoming more fractious. Other causes of unrest were the long and unpopular Vietnam War, and the notion of Black Power.

The 'Southern Strategy' and Richard Nixon | Suite101

So why was the old south Democratic until 1964, and Republican ever since? lol

The South was reliably democrat until 1968 when Nixon used his "southern strategy" to polarize the nation because of the anti war protests. Blacks took this inopportune moment in history to begin a violent black power movement that further pushed southern democrats away.

The Southern Strategy was implemented in the 1968 Richard Nixon-Hubert Humphrey election. In the Southern states, voters were concerned about state order and law enforcement. There were frequent reports of rioting young Americans burning army draft cards and US flags in response to the Vietnam War, African-American students rioting and the 'hippy movement', drugs, and 'free love'.

All of these factors concerned the Southern white population, a deeply Christian and patriotic part of America: the reports scandalized many and created a concern about law and order. After the assassination of Martian Luther King, the Civil Rights movement became a more freely violent movement with the relationship between whites and blacks becoming more fractious. Other causes of unrest were the long and unpopular Vietnam War, and the notion of Black Power.

The 'Southern Strategy' and Richard Nixon | Suite101

:clap2:

Great analysis. Some read the trite, comic book versions of history, and than there are those of us who actually know it. While the Republican Party has had its moments of lunacy too, the Democratic Party of the Twentieth Century is the party of pitchfork politics..

Were not debating war with germany, were not debating slavery, were debating social security, medicare, immigration. democrats support those things, republicans dont. stop acting like lincoln would be a republican today.

Lincoln would support slavery via dependency on whites?

I don't think Lincoln would have attempted to take hold of the Presidency had he been born today. He would have looked at the way things were SNAFU'd and would walk away.

Lincoln wouldn't run for president today because things are SNAFU'd? Do we have anything remotely equated with slavery today? Slavery is about as snafu'd as this country has ever been. I think if Lincoln were alive today he would want to become president so he could take a rest.

Just said with a straight face that the black power movement was violent and the civil rights movement. Huh? That's like beating the shot outta someone and breaking your finger and blaming the other guy.

You can't be serious. Btw the southern strategy, updated remixes of it and the tolerance of itis the reason repubs continue to have such low support with minorities.

The OP has the absurd idea that no help equals help. When in reality no help is no help.

Also, I asked him to name one time he sided with blacks on anything...in reality. Not that candyland bullshit about "every person gets a gun" and "stop helping and that'll help". I'm talking ACTUAL events.

So far your help has driven them off the cliff.

False...Slavery did that.

False...Slavery did that.

You're right, they are slaves to the government at this very moment.

LBJ - I'm gonna have these N*****s voting Democrat for the next 200 years!

I bet you think that means something don't you? No, no...I bet that you think by quoting someone saying the n word that that will make blacks vote for Repubs because they didn't say it. Right?

Just said with a straight face that the black power movement was violent and the civil rights movement. Huh? That's like beating the shot outta someone and breaking your finger and blaming the other guy.

You can't be serious. Btw the southern strategy, updated remixes of it and the tolerance of itis the reason repubs continue to have such low support with minorities.

sorry, but explain the southern strategy

Forum List

Back