Is political humor ethical at all?

Pilate

VIP Member
Aug 16, 2016
I, personally, am of the opinion that it is totally unethical. It is effectively indoctrination wearing a smiling mask. No matter whether you're left wing or right wing, you can agree that the humor itself is rather secondary in nature to the actual pushing of a way of thought or an agenda. Am I alone in this belief?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    21.3 KB · Views: 111
I, personally, am of the opinion that it is totally unethical. It is effectively indoctrination wearing a smiling mask. No matter whether you're left wing or right wing, you can agree that the humor itself is rather secondary in nature to the actual pushing of a way of thought or an agenda. Am I alone in this belief?
Yes. Lighten up; you'll live longer.

Politcal humor isn't unethical. Lampooning our alleged political betters is a time honored tradition in this nation.

But it is not genuine in its efforts to amuse, it is only genuine in its efforts to mold people. It is a tool of control that is dishonest.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    23.9 KB · Views: 114
But it is not genuine in its efforts to amuse, it is only genuine in its efforts to mold people. It is a tool of control that is dishonest.

What are some examples of these disingenuous and dishonest efforts you feel political humorists are using to mold people?

Welcome to the forum, by the way. Cheers!

Well take that British guy. You know, glasses, snaggleteeth, I can't really remember his name. But his whole show, while perhaps humorous, is in the purest sense of the word biased and dedicated to winning over people to one side of the political spectrum. The average person, being unable to see through or even consider the possibility of propaganda or lies being shown on television to persuade them, would be totally defenseless against this kind of molding.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,014.4 KB · Views: 113
1) There's nothing funny about politics, at least not this election.
(see harmless political humor)
2) it's unethical when it slanders and intends to do so in propaganda or manipulative way.

Ethical humor would be harmless humor like the very last post on my thread title
"Would women still flock to churches if Jesus looked like Danny DeVito"
In it is a harmless comparison to a Jesus Iconograph, it does not slander or manipulate perceptions of Trump, it just points out a noticable trait that is noticable in the iconograph which makes it harmlessly funny. He himself would laugh at it, so that is my take on the difference between ethical and unethical political humor.
-signed lessons on Jewish Humor 101.

1) There's nothing funny about politics, at least not this election.
(see harmless political humor)
2) it's unethical when it slanders and intends to do so in propaganda or manipulative way.

Ethical humor would be harmless humor like the very last post on my thread title
"Would women still flock to churches if Jesus looked like Danny DeVito"
In it is a harmless comparison to a Jesus Iconograph, it does not slander or manipulate Trump, it just points out a noticable trsit that 8s noticable in the iconograph which makes it harmlessly funny. He himself would laugh at it, so that is my take on the difference between ethical and unethical political humor.
-signed lessons on Jewish Humor 101.
I heartily agree. I think it's definitely unethical to use something that is meant to be lighthearted as a tool for more sinister motives.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    809.8 KB · Views: 113

Completely.

There's no way it's "indoctrination". If anything it's ANTI-indoctrination. Your OP makes no sense.

Well take that British guy. You know, glasses, snaggleteeth, I can't really remember his name. But his whole show, while perhaps humorous, is in the purest sense of the word biased and dedicated to winning over people to one side of the political spectrum. The average person, being unable to see through or even consider the possibility of propaganda or lies being shown on television to persuade them, would be totally defenseless against this kind of molding.

So you actually think minds are passive sponges that simply accept whatever they're told without question? And it's just a matter of who gets to that mind first?

Weird.

So you actually think minds are passive sponges that simply accept whatever they're told without question?

Weird.
Questioning requires effort. Most can't even be bothered to get up and change the channel.

Politcal humor isn't unethical. Lampooning our alleged political betters is a time honored tradition in this nation.

--- And everywhere that Free Speech lives.
Free speech is free, not inherently ethical. You may have a right to it, but that doesn't mean it's right or wrong.

So you actually think minds are passive sponges that simply accept whatever they're told without question?

Weird.
Questioning requires effort. Most can't even be bothered to get up and change the channel.

To the extent that that's true ---- and we see the same syndrome in, say, this board ----- WHOSE fault is that?

Weird.

To the extent that that's true ---- and we see the same syndrome in, say, this board ----- WHOSE fault is that?
Whose fault is that doesn't scare me as much as whose problem it is.

--- And everywhere that Free Speech lives.
Free speech is free, not inherently ethical. You may have a right to it, but that doesn't mean it's right or wrong.

Opinion cannot by definition be "right" or "wrong". Not the point.
Nor is free speech "ethical" or "unethical". Motivations are.

Your premise, that any kind of satire or joke at the expense of a politician should be verboten, remains absurd.

Weird.

Whose fault is that doesn't scare me as much as whose problem it is.

So you choose to dance around the question instead of addressing it.

Weird.

They have remotes for that now. lol

Forum List

Back