Is man a religious being?

Catholics believe that The dignity of man rests above all on the fact that he is called to communion with God. This invitation to converse with God is addressed to man as soon as he comes into being. For if man exists it is because God has created him through love, and through love continues to hold him in existence. He cannot live fully according to truth unless he freely acknowledges that love and entrusts himself to his creator. Throughout history down to the present day, men have given expression to their quest for God in their religious beliefs and behavior: in their prayers, sacrifices, rituals, meditations, and so forth. These forms of religious expression, despite the ambiguities they often bring with them, are so universal that one may well call man a religious being

If you mean Christianity, I'd have to say no. Christianity is a relatively recent invention in the history of man and is fundamentally different from what came before it.

Man is a weak and fragile being, living at the mercy of forces beyond his control and understanding. Paganism, at it's heart, is a negotiation with those forces, personified by gods. I will sacrifice a goat if you bring rain or cure my illness. Is that is what you mean by being religious?
No. I meant exactly what I wrote.

Throughout history down to the present day, men have given expression to their quest for God in their religious beliefs and behavior: in their prayers, sacrifices, rituals, meditations, and so forth. These forms of religious expression, despite the ambiguities they often bring with them, are so universal that one may well call man a religious being

By your measure the vast majority of anyone who ever lived as well as the vast majority of people living now are backwards pagans who aren’t smart like you.
hardwired to BELIEVE in something you can't even prove !!!!
hahaha

So you don’t believe the overwhelming prevalence of religion throughout the history of mankind can be traced back to any sort of natural disposition?
Let me change my answer in this way: Yes I do. It's based on Man's natural curiosity. But not on some divine seed, if that's what you're asking.
Actually my point is that man’s undeniable affinity to believe in a higher power can only be attributed to hardwiring of some kind.

Curiosity doesn’t lead to organization. Order leads to organization. Usually along the lines of common interests.

All throughout nature we can see how nature orders itself. Such that this need for order must be hardwired into nature itself.
''of some kind'' = you have no idea about what you are talking about
I am talking about being made to worship God.

You are going to worship something one way or another. You can’t help but not to. You are literally hardwired for it.

Catholics believe that The dignity of man rests above all on the fact that he is called to communion with God. This invitation to converse with God is addressed to man as soon as he comes into being. For if man exists it is because God has created him through love, and through love continues to hold him in existence. He cannot live fully according to truth unless he freely acknowledges that love and entrusts himself to his creator. Throughout history down to the present day, men have given expression to their quest for God in their religious beliefs and behavior: in their prayers, sacrifices, rituals, meditations, and so forth. These forms of religious expression, despite the ambiguities they often bring with them, are so universal that one may well call man a religious being

If you mean Christianity, I'd have to say no. Christianity is a relatively recent invention in the history of man and is fundamentally different from what came before it.

Man is a weak and fragile being, living at the mercy of forces beyond his control and understanding. Paganism, at it's heart, is a negotiation with those forces, personified by gods. I will sacrifice a goat if you bring rain or cure my illness. Is that is what you mean by being religious?

Throughout history down to the present day, men have given expression to their quest for God in their religious beliefs and behavior: in their prayers, sacrifices, rituals, meditations, and so forth. These forms of religious expression, despite the ambiguities they often bring with them, are so universal that one may well call man a religious being

By your measure the vast majority of anyone who ever lived as well as the vast majority of people living now are backwards pagans who aren’t smart like you.
hardwired to BELIEVE in something you can't even prove !!!!
hahaha
No. Hardwired to worship.

You are free to worship or pursue anything you wish but only one thing will satisfy you.

So you don’t believe the overwhelming prevalence of religion throughout the history of mankind can be traced back to any sort of natural disposition?
Let me change my answer in this way: Yes I do. It's based on Man's natural curiosity. But not on some divine seed, if that's what you're asking.
Actually my point is that man’s undeniable affinity to believe in a higher power can only be attributed to hardwiring of some kind.

Curiosity doesn’t lead to organization. Order leads to organization. Usually along the lines of common interests.

All throughout nature we can see how nature orders itself. Such that this need for order must be hardwired into nature itself.
That's correct. None of can know for sure what we're talking about here.

We're wondering. We're guessing. That's all we can do.

Anyone who thinks they know for sure is both delusional and egotistical.
I guess I’m delusional and egotistical then.

It is you who considers pagans to be 'backwards' and dumb, not me. I just don't think pagans related to their gods the way you relate to yours. If you lived in the ancient world your city would likely have a wall. It wasn't that those people loved walls or that they were 'wall beings', it was just a matter of survival to them. The same for their gods, their sacrifices and worship were likewise a matter of survival and, if their god didn't deliver, they'd just find one who would. They weren't religious so much as transactional.

One can add religion has survived for long because of persecution and oppression for not believing in ones mans belief.
Human hardwiring would include the need for food water defence reproduction etc. Not a belief.
Realism is hardwired. Not religion.

It is you who considers pagans to be 'backwards' and dumb, not me. I just don't think pagans related to their gods the way you relate to yours. If you lived in the ancient world your city would likely have a wall. It wasn't that those people loved walls or that they were 'wall beings', it was just a matter of survival to them. The same for their gods, their sacrifices and worship were likewise a matter of survival and, if their god didn't deliver, they'd just find one who would. They weren't religious so much as transactional.
Except the belief in God is so prevalent throughout history through all times and ages and conditions it must be something internal in us. It must be hardwired into us.

One can add religion has survived for long because of persecution and oppression for not believing in ones mans belief.
Human hardwiring would include the need for food water defence reproduction etc. Not a belief.
Not a fan of Darwin I see. :lol:

That has nothing to do with Darwin or evolution.
Natural selection is hereditary and biological. Not a belief.
You have no idea what you are talking about.

Except the belief in God is so prevalent throughout history through all times and ages and conditions it must be something internal in us. It must be hardwired into us.
You mean belief in gods, God is a recent invention. The common denominator really is a belief in the supernatural. Not surprising for ancient people who had little understanding of the natural world. I'm not sure why most people still believe in some aspect of the supernatural, God, ghosts, the Great Pumpkin, etc.

You mean belief in gods, God is a recent invention. The common denominator really is a belief in the supernatural. Not surprising for ancient people who had little understanding of the natural world. I'm not sure why most people still believe in some aspect of the supernatural, God, ghosts, the Great Pumpkin, etc.
Call it whatever you want. Same difference.

Man is hardwired to worship God. You are free to worship created things but in the end nothing will satisfy you but God.

Why else would you be discussing God?

It applies to everything about life. Including behaviors.

If there were no functional advantage religion would have disappeared long ago.

Using your logic, your god hard wired violence, greed and hate into us.
And again, natural selection isnt about beliefs. Try reading about it instead of arguing dumb shit and googling big words to appear like you arent a complete moron.

And again, natural selection isnt about beliefs. Try reading about it instead of arguing dumb shit and googling big words to appear like you arent a complete moron.
Maybe he did. It’s the human condition. You can’t have an up with a down or a right without a wrong.

The key here is do you see civilizations and societies which flourished by being evil? No. They all failed. That too is Darwinian.

Religion and belief in God has persisted.

Stop denying Darwin.

Man is hardwired to worship God. You are free to worship created things but in the end nothing will satisfy you but God.

Why else would you be discussing God?
I talk about GOP politics and politicians but I'm neither. Claiming you know what will satisfy me shows incredible arrogance, you should practice some humility and admit you don't know everything.

Maybe he did. It’s the human condition. You can’t have an up with a down or a right without a wrong.

The key here is do you see civilizations and societies which flourished by being evil? No. They all failed. That too is Darwinian.

Religion and belief in God has persisted.

Stop denying Darwin.
China
Yes, and for thousands of years if you didnt believe in someone's god you were killed.
Mac also made a good point.
But you ignore it because you are dishonest and infallible.
Grow up dingbat. And read a book FFS.

There is a pretty clear difference between faith and fact, isn't there?

Last edited:

No.

No.
I disagree.

There is a pretty clear difference between faith and fact, isn't there?
Yes, but I’m not taking this on faith.

I’m basing it on observation.

Forum List

Back