Is it time for a revamp of the rules?

If the posters KNOW not to get more than 2 or 3 warnings in a month -- WHY would we need MORE specific information on their warning status? You think that a person who has 2 or 3 warnings in their PM box is gonna keep track? Hell no. And we're not gonna "warn them about the warnings in their inboxes"...

Some older members of USMB are over 60 to 120 warnings. We dont have the time or staff to warn them "about getting warned". They would not STILL be here at most other message boards.

Similarly -- On MOVES -- there's alert message that goes to the OPoster in their inbox. Mods are supposed to USE that box and make sure the OP knows. On close -- if the thread is NEW or very active -- mods are taught to leave a "close message".. I use one everytime in lieu of warnings if the Title/Opost doesn't conform to the rules.

For AGED threads -- they ALL get closed when the topic is gone. That could be page 4 or 86. SOME of those have good discussions going on -- so we MOVE to a Taunting Forum so that the "off topic" CAN CONTINUE !!!!! A move to Badlands is COURTESY like that maybe 20% of the time and NOT any kind of punishment. We COULD have warned everybody off topic and just closed them.

Moderation DOES NOT HAVE your email addresses, So even if we thought it was a good idea to tell a banned person that they are banned and why -- we couldn't do it.
I actually do keep track of my stupidity on this board and want to know when any infraction is done so I can review it myself.

I know mods like to be secretive and play their games, so that is why you don’t want to let any of us know and just put the hammer down when you feel someone should be banned.

Now do not lecture me because I truly do not care about your opinion nor do you care about mine.

Recently, there have been a few posts reciting one of the rules about mod actions. One of them caught my eye. The one that says in effect, “thou shalt not discuss banned members.” This is antiquated I believe because the Board no longer tells anyone (other than the member who has been banned) who is away to the Land of the Banned.

Now, since the Board rules themselves seem to require another kind of ‘convention of the states,’ wouldn’t it make sense to address other glitches, too? For example, if a member (let’s say member “L”) has a mysterious an unidentified mod (let’s say mod “?”) issue a ban against him, “L” can’t direct the question of “why” to “?” because banned members lose the ability to sign-in. If “L” can’t even sign in, then “L” can’t find out from “?” or any other mod what the alleged rule violation was. Likewise “L” can’t ask “?” for a reconsideration, nor can “L” ask any group of mods to make a ruling (like an appeals) panel.

Maybe other members have other issues with the rules? Discussion might help make this a “more perfect” board.

I don't think a mod can just ban someone. It has to escalated to a higher level, a senior mod, or an admin to get it actually approved and done.

But if anyone wants to fix anything, I wish they'd fix the spell-checker that hasn't worked right ever since this new version of Xenforo was installed a few years ago to actually check typing in real time as you type, and to make for an easier to see highlight of misspelled words with a bigger or brighter red underline or something.

I don't think a mod can just ban someone. It has to escalated to a higher level, a senior mod, or an admin to get it actually approved and done.

But if anyone wants to fix anything, I wish they'd fix the spell-checker that hasn't worked right ever since this new version of Xenforo was installed a few years ago to actually check typing in real time as you type, and to make for an easier to see highlight of misspelled words with a bigger or brighter red underline or something.
I could use that.

You can download a spell checker that will work here. I used to have it but stopped using it. Don't recall what it was called.

PS: It's called Grammarly.

I participated at a message board that promised free speech, except for that which is illegal. It was called Ruqqus. It worked surprisingly well. Because it was only some months new and those who get offended easily avoided it, it had yet to reach a high volume of users. Most of those who joined and liked it did so because they viewed free speech as a right and principle.

Over time, as Reddit or other forums booted out some sub-forums — incels and such — they would migrate to Ruqqus. They would respectfully mostly stick with their own sub-forum (users could create their own) and other users could easily select that forum to not appear in their feed.

The site owners feel under the influence of a Rasputin-like Leftist who (typically) hated free speech and wanted, like Democrats do, to control 'misinformation' and enforce political-correctness by canceling others speech.

So, suddenly, they banned some sub-forums, upon which, literally everybody left en masse in a single 24-hour period, myself included. The owners were shocked. They closed a few weeks later.

I participated at a message board that promised free speech, except for that which is illegal. It was called Ruqqus. It worked surprisingly well. Because it was only some months new and those who get offended easily avoided it, it had yet to reach a high volume of users. Most of those who joined and liked it did so because they viewed free speech as a right and principle.

Over time, as Reddit or other forums booted out some sub-forums — incels and such — they would migrate to Ruqqus. They would respectfully mostly stick with their own sub-forum (users could create their own) and other users could easily select that forum to not appear in their feed.

The site owners feel under the influence of a Rasputin-like Leftist who (typically) hated free speech and wanted, like Democrats do, to control 'misinformation' and enforce political-correctness by canceling others speech.

So, suddenly, they banned some sub-forums, upon which, literally everybody left en masse in a single 24-hour period, myself included. The owners were shocked. They closed a few weeks later.
Censorship does that.

USMB is the most liberal and tolerant of any discussion board around. Live by the rules and quit whining.
I'm not sure we have the same definition of liberal. Actually it is a conservative board, but we are genuinely more tolerant than the "liberals".

You can download a spell checker that will work here. PS: It's called Grammarly.

Thanks Mike, I just looked into it, I was afraid it wouldn't be compatible with or available to run on my rather non-mainstream computer, but unfortunately I never got that far because I don't use or subscribe to any of the three Big Box Services they use to download it on, namely Google, Facebook or Apple. I like to stay off the grid. But thanks anyway.

Yesterday I had a thread locked because supposedly "hot political" topics can't be in zone 1. Two threads above my locked thread was a discussion about abortion; pretty much the hottest of all political topics--and a political party is mentioned in the title.

1663993514699.png

Rules are made up on the fly.

USMB is the most liberal and tolerant of any discussion board around. Live by the rules and quit whining.
Moderators targeting specific individuals for censorship while promoting the extremely hateful agendas of others is not liberalism.

Actual liberalism involves egalitarianism where every person is treated according to the same standards and with the same expectations for behavior.

As a place to start in your education on the subject, I would suggest you read John Stuart Mill and then some John Rawls,

Yesterday I had a thread locked because supposedly "hot political" topics can't be in zone 1. Two threads above my locked thread was a discussion about abortion; pretty much the hottest of all political topics--and a political party is mentioned in the title.

View attachment 700713

Rules are made up on the fly.
This is an interesting move considering one extremely hateful poster is allowed to post his endless polemics in the zone 1 race forum to the point he completely dominates it.

Forum List

Back