What's new
US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it illegal to laugh at police when they are stopping someone?

buddhallah_the_christ

Reaction score
My friend and I were cracking up at these cops that stopped these Black people in a park, and we were laughing loud to the point the cops could hear us. When they were done, they walked over to us and said they were going to arrest us for obstructing their work if this happened again.

Can they really do this? I thought laughing was protected by free speech.

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, not legally, but the law hardly seems to stop the police anymore. They all think they're above the law. Had they arrested you it's more than likely the charges would have been dropped and you'd have a valid lawsuit on your hands.

jon_berzerk

Platinum Member
Reaction score
depends on if you had obstructed justice or not

TheOldSchool

Diamond Member
Reaction score
last stop for sanity before reaching the south
My friend and I were cracking up at these cops that stopped these Black people in a park, and we were laughing loud to the point the cops could hear us. When they were done, they walked over to us and said they were going to arrest us for obstructing their work if this happened again.

Are you 13 years old?

Tom Sweetnam

Platinum Member
Reaction score
8000' up in the san juan mountain foothills

Yes, obviously you haven't heard of the Infantile Jackass Laws that you and the other idiot in your vehicle were clearly in violation of, moron.

Seriously, dig up Alan Dershowitz's appearance on Al Jazeera a few months ago where he explains all the obstruction of justice laws passed by state legislatures in just the past few years. He agrees with them, and so do most other law scholars. None have been challenged in court to date. Do something as stupid as you did in Obama's home state of Illinois, and you can be arrested and fined or even sentenced to jail time. So wise up idiot. Show some respect.That cop over there is a representative of We The People, enforcing the corpus of law we elected our representatives to pass. Next time leave the cops alone and go home and pick your zits instead.

quorthon

Reaction score
They all think they're above the law.
Correct! Living in a police state means to be always little under cops. If they only claimed that you were obstructing their work then they're well-bred cops. But if you felt a pair of batons with your back and were carried to the cop-shop, then cops are just cops, don't laugh at them! :razz:

Jarlaxle

Gold Member
Reaction score

Contempt of cop is a very serious matter...it can be punished with summary execution on the spot.

MikeK

Gold Member
Reaction score

"Obstructing?" In specifically what way?

And how could they establish who or what you were laughing at? Did you announce you were laughing at them?

In a situation like that it is best to not discuss it with them. Insist they either arrest you or leave you alone.

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Reaction score

Can you arrest you for just standing there. What you can get charged, tried, and found guilty for is another thing altogether.

Next time, mind your own business, or at least don't let your rubbernecking become noisy.

MikeK

Gold Member
Reaction score
Can you arrest you for just standing there. What you can get charged, tried, and found guilty for is another thing altogether.

Next time, mind your own business, or at least don't let your rubbernecking become noisy.
Actually, this is a rather fragmented description of an encounter with police. The obvious question is what exactly were these bystanders laughing at? Or is there much more to the story in terms of obstructive behavior?

Maxx

Reaction score
Too bad the black people didn't catch up with you and ask what the fuck you were laughing at.
At that point you would learn a couple of valuable life lessons.
1- to laugh at someone just because you can, not always a good idea.
2- the police aren't here to save you, especially from your actions.

Gracie

Diamond Member
Reaction score
You were being rude. And if you are white and were laughing at the cops about blacks, you COULD have caused problems. Grow up. Karma bites. Next ones laughing could be those watching YOU being arrested. How would YOU feel?
Jeez.

USMB Server Goals

Total amount
$191.00
Goal
$350.00

New Topics

Most reactions - Past 7 days

Forum List