Is "Government Motors" screwing with Toyota?

I dunno. I always find value in following the path of the 'worst case scenario' as a mental exercise. You don't have to believe it, you just have to engage it long enough to see where the potholes are. Like Ragnar, I'm not suggesting wrong-doing, but when we use our imaginations, we see very clearly why the referee shouldn't be on the field as a player.

It doesn't matter to me anyway. I'd never buy a GM or Chrysler again, not ever. The Obama administration fucked over investors in order to pander to the unions... and they can never wash the stink off as far as I'm concerned.

Same here. I've purchased my last GM or Chrysler. Which saddens me because of the 10 vehicles my family has purchased over the years, 9 have been either Chrysler or GM products. Oh well, Chrysler is no longer American anyway since they were sold to Italy's FIAT.

I dunno. I always find value in following the path of the 'worst case scenario' as a mental exercise. You don't have to believe it, you just have to engage it long enough to see where the potholes are. Like Ragnar, I'm not suggesting wrong-doing, but when we use our imaginations, we see very clearly why the referee shouldn't be on the field as a player.

It doesn't matter to me anyway. I'd never buy a GM or Chrysler again, not ever. The Obama administration fucked over investors in order to pander to the unions... and they can never wash the stink off as far as I'm concerned.

Same here. I've purchased my last GM or Chrysler. Which saddens me because of the 10 vehicles my family has purchased over the years, 9 have been either Chrysler or GM products. Oh well, Chrysler is no longer American anyway since they were sold to Italy's FIAT.

I bought a Chrysler a few years back and it's been a never-ending pain in my ass. They deserved to go bankrupt. It was a matter of consumer protection if you ask me. :lol::lol::lol:

Lose your job yet? Keep buying foreign.

Hmm.. Toyota, Volkswagon, Nissan, Subaru and even Kia all building cars in the U.S. GM has cut U.S. jobs in order to move production to Mexico and South Korea. Tell us again how buying the foreign cars is going to cost jobs?

It is happening right before your eyes. Do what you want.

How are American workers in Right-To-Work states of less value than UAW workers? You don't have to look further than Spring Hill, TN to see that GM has no particular compassion for American workers. If GM would've ponied up more manufacturing support, Saturn could've been saved, along with 13,000 jobs and the vitality of an entire town.
GM to close Saturn as sale to Penske collapses | Reuters

I bought a Chrysler a few years back and it's been a never-ending pain in my ass. They deserved to go bankrupt. It was a matter of consumer protection if you ask me. :lol::lol::lol:

I've loved all of mine with the exception of the Dodge Ram 1500. The transmission was pretty sad. It just seemed to be geared wrong. But no matter, as much as I've enjoyed the vehicles I'll not deal with them again. Especially when you think of how the dealers were screwed over.

Lose your job yet? Keep buying foreign.

Hmm.. Toyota, Volkswagon, Nissan, Subaru and even Kia all building cars in the U.S. GM has cut U.S. jobs in order to move production to Mexico and South Korea. Tell us again how buying the foreign cars is going to cost jobs?

They build Nissan in my county and many of my neighbors and customers are employed there. Please tell me why buying a GM built in Mexico will help keep American jobs.

I see no evidence of conspiracy on any of the links. My opinion is slanted though. I fooled more than one Toyota owner into saying Prizms were worse than Corollas just to prove to them the reliability advantage their cars had was entirely perceived.

I'll drive an 85 Monte Carlo vs 85 Toyota/Honda any day. The rest of the world was just building the correct car for the times of our gas shortages since the rest of the world's economies were still recovering from WWII.
Buying a GM built in Mexico is NOT an ideal situation unless big government uses tariffs to adjust the cost of that car for the savings of using a sub American wage structure and to offset presumably softer environmental standards in Mexico.

Now I'd rather an American company keep up American technology by building the best and brightest cars in America. It never did central america any good to have Dole Fruit down there employing tons of folks on the farms. Just as we'll become second world citizens working for the Koreans at the KIA plants if the trend continues.

More problematic than another country buying our bonds is a trade war where another country eliminates our jobs.

Want Kia to decide if that plant gets converted to a wartime footing when push comes to shove?
Anyways, didn't big government come in and force the Japanese into building high volume cars in this country with import limits? Have them limits expired?

How are American workers in Right-To-Work states of less value than UAW workers? You don't have to look further than Spring Hill, TN to see that GM has no particular compassion for American workers. If GM would've ponied up more manufacturing support, Saturn could've been saved, along with 13,000 jobs and the vitality of an entire town.

It wasn't a profitable unit. It should have been retired years ago.

GM itself hasn't been profitable and should have been retired. Instead we taxpayers got to buy it as a gift for the UAW.

GM itself hasn't been profitable and should have been retired. Instead we taxpayers got to buy it as a gift for the UAW.

And it is a gift that keeps on giving too. And costing us.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
What? 88 Corollas were superior automobiles?

I know I heard that back then. It was wrong. Am I hearing from foreignphiles that 08 Corollas are superior vehicles? Could be right.

My national pride might mislead me into thinking Americans builds the best products still.

I will readily admit thanks to market conditions in parts of the world during our gas shortages foreign automakers were already building cars for ppl who couldn't afford expensive gasoline while ours were overly focused on what sold well instead of offering a wide enough variety of products.

This has to be one of the dumbest flucken posts I have ever read. Needs to go in conspiracy with all the other nuts who think - think may not be the right word - that behind all actions are the spirits of bad intentions.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/conspiracy-theories/95300-serious-conspiracy-theorist-question.html

This constitutes a test of realities. Excellent. Watch ad too if you have time. Seems the Europeans will eventually pass us not only in healthcare but in common sense.

David Deutsch: A new way to explain explanation | Video on TED.com

I guess everyone knows that the defective accelerator parts were manufactured by a US parts supplier to toyota. The same Japanese built parts are fine.

Certainly sounds like a conspiracy theory, just because you claim you weren't, doesn't make it so. Was just hearing about the recalls this morning on the radio, and Toyota was blaming the maker of the defective part. No mention of a gov't conspiracy

For the slow....

I asked a provocative question in title which was answered in the negative in the OP. The idea was to provoke a debate on the free market and illustrate, by way of multiple examples, the abuse of power that is invited by manipulations of markets by governments.

For fucks sake, my first link went to an example in which previous cases of "sudden acceloration incidents" were proved not to be true. (by the government no less, acting in it's proper role, that being protecting the integrity of the market and not ownership of it)
Just to let you know. They are responding to a perception that you are attacking their messiah. Any form of debate ended when they thought you were attacking government. The wagons have been circled.

what does jesus have to do with this thread? :razz:
Yeah, cause Obama has what to do with auto regulation?

I've always owned american cars. Maybe it wasn't by choice but they have always been american.

currently driving a ford focus, one of the rare reliable ford cars.

Here's the part of this Toyota fiasco I've been wondering about. It's only been a few days now that they stopped selling various models because of the problem. They did so because they're either too dangerous to sell, or because they don't want to face the additional liability if someone gets hurt/killed due to whatever the malfunction happens to be. Perhaps a combination of both.

But now, just days later, they've either started shipping or will soon certain parts or whatever to dealers to install in cars to fix the problem. But that didn't happen overnight. There had to be some period of time - days, weeks, months? - for them to engineer the part(s) to fix things and then manufacture and ship them. But during that period of time they were okay with dealers selling the same models they now won't let them sell? Hmmm...

Here's the part of this Toyota fiasco I've been wondering about. It's only been a few days now that they stopped selling various models because of the problem. They did so because they're either too dangerous to sell, or because they don't want to face the additional liability if someone gets hurt/killed due to whatever the malfunction happens to be. Perhaps a combination of both.

But now, just days later, they've either started shipping or will soon certain parts or whatever to dealers to install in cars to fix the problem. But that didn't happen overnight. There had to be some period of time - days, weeks, months? - for them to engineer the part(s) to fix things and then manufacture and ship them. But during that period of time they were okay with dealers selling the same models they now won't let them sell? Hmmm...

They are just doing a cheapo fix with a shim.
To the US made accel assys only. the Jap built ones are fine.

I've been itching to see the failure rates. Life is all about percentages.

So why did Toyota go with the defective one during assembly?

Forum List

Back