CDZ Is a paperless and secure election system possible?

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
Given the current circus of the 2020 election, it may be time to invest the resources in a purely electronic election system. Thailand is already using a blockchain based electronic election system for primaries. I believe it is time and the technology is mature enough to make the leap. For example, facial recognition software could be used to match a voter's face with the voter's photo ID. The voter takes a 'selfie' holding their photo ID next to their face. Once matched, then the voter then enters their social security number and voter id number and is allowed access their ballot. What do you think, is it time to go paperless? If so how would you do it?

Sure, it is possible; but there are many, many other problems, beside the precarious popular election system - the whole governing system is in error and needs to be reordered using the modern technology we have now that they did not have in the past when they established the institutions and interactive fuzzy rules for balancing the powers, including the election process.
You get the electronic election process going and then you're going to want true democracy; and our system has no way of handling that - what are we going to do with the congress members????

Sure, it is possible; but there are many, many other problems, beside the precarious popular election system - the whole governing system is in error and needs to be reordered using the modern technology we have now that they did not have in the past when they established the institutions and interactive fuzzy rules for balancing the powers, including the election process.
You get the electronic election process going and then you're going to want true democracy; and our system has no way of handling that - what are we going to do with the congress members????
Fixing our government is way beyond the scope of this discussion.

I would think the risk of being hacked is too great to go completely digital. I don't even know how you guys do it now (nor how we do it, to be honest), but there should be a fail-safe system.

If I were designing it, I would make the ballot easy to choose, and let voters themselves go past an area where they could feed it themselves and shine a red or blue light to confirm who they voted for.

Voter could confirm with a watcher that the correct light (for their vote choice) was accurate and that person could add it in their separate system to compare against at the end of the night. You'd have the usual Watchers there etc.

Getting the vote correct is more important than anything in a democratic society. The world has been talking about this election, more in shock that the votes can't be counted in one night. Especially when MUCH bigger states like Texas and NY can.

I would think the risk of being hacked is too great to go completely digital. I don't even know how you guys do it now (nor how we do it, to be honest), but there should be a fail-safe system.

If I were designing it, I would make the ballot easy to choose, and let voters themselves go past an area where they could feed it themselves and shine a red or blue light to confirm who they voted for.

Voter could confirm with a watcher that the correct light (for their vote choice) was accurate and that person could add it in their separate system to compare against at the end of the night. You'd have the usual Watchers there etc.

Getting the vote correct is more important than anything in a democratic society. The world has been talking about this election, more in shock that the votes can't be counted in one night. Especially when MUCH bigger states like Texas and NY can.
Interesting idea using light. So are you advocating that this would be for the Presidential choice only or for the entire ballot?

Interesting idea using light. So are you advocating that this would be for the Presidential choice only or for the entire ballot?

Yeah, just for the president.

Elections are simply too important, it's at the core of liberty and right to self determination to ensure that votes matter.

To operate otherwise, with all these arcane rules by states too, most of which seem destined to ensure corruption or abuse, is just insanity.

Given the current circus of the 2020 election, it may be time to invest the resources in a purely electronic election system. Thailand is already using a blockchain based electronic election system for primaries. I believe it is time and the technology is mature enough to make the leap. For example, facial recognition software could be used to match a voter's face with the voter's photo ID. The voter takes a 'selfie' holding their photo ID next to their face. Once matched, then the voter then enters their social security number and voter id number and is allowed access their ballot. What do you think, is it time to go paperless? If so how would you do it?

The leftyvirus hoax allowed all the mail ins this time, a Dem cheater paradise. Easy to get them in and easy to create more when you needed to magically find more Biden votes. Simply allow only military and student mail-ins and make everyone else show up in person with an ID.

Elections are simply too important

Very vote in Biden ballots even Arizona even Michigan even Pennsylvania????

Not only is it possible, it may be crucial to save democracy in the 21st century. A national ID card will end up being one half. A dedicated system with no connection to the greater internet will be the other.

Elections are simply too important

Very vote in Biden ballots even Arizona even Michigan even Pennsylvania????
Sorry I don't understand your reply.

Not only is it possible, it may be crucial to save democracy in the 21st century. A national ID card will end up being one half. A dedicated system with no connection to the greater internet will be the other.
I don't see the need for a national ID card but I like your idea of an isolated electronic system.

Indiana and other states already have some paperless voting machines, which is fine but doesn't solve the problem for mail-in ballots from the elderly or infirm. And I see no way to make those ballots paperless, and that's where the opportunities for election fraud come into play.

There has to be plenty of cameras going and observers overseeing all of the process from when a box of ballots come in the door to the moment the ballot is scanned into the computers. If there's no cameras or observers then no ballots should be processed. And there should be a receipt for each box of ballots, who delivered it and when. If no receipt, then those ballots don't get entered into the system. You could even track who opened the box and scanned in the paper ballots.

The other thing is the automation part. I don't know anything about the software they use to scan in the ballots and tabulate the results on the computer, but there should be a date and time stamp on every vote that comes into the computer servers, validation programs that check the number of ballots on a minute or hourly basis so you can tell if there's a jump in votes at 4 am. Do they validate each vote by checking against the various databases to ensure the person is in fact a resident and ain't dead. Doctors and hospitals have to fill out a death certificate and that has to be in a computer somewhere. By cross-checking the votes from each state with the others you can see if anybody voted in more than 1 state. Computers are good at that shit. You can run various programs to look for fraud; maybe you can't eliminate it altogether but you can take steps to reduce the opportunities for fraud by quite a bit.

Last edited:
Indiana already has some paperless voting machines, which is fine but doesn't solve the problem for mail-in ballots from the elderly or infirm. And I see no way to make those ballots paperless, and that's where the opportunities for election fraud come into play.

There has to be plenty of cameras going and observers overseeing all of the process from when a box of ballots come in the door to the moment the ballot is scanned into the computers. If there's no cameras or observers then no ballots should be processed. And there should be a receipt for each box of ballots, who delivered it and when. If no receipt, then those ballots don't get entered into the system. You could even track who opened the box and scanned in the paper ballots.

The other thing is the automation part. I don't know anything about the software they use to scan in the ballots and tabulate the results on the computer, but there should be a date and time stamp on every vote that comes into the computer servers, validation programs that check the number of ballots on a minute or hourly basis so you can tell if there's a jump in votes at 4 am. Do they validate each vote by checking against the various databases to ensure the person is in fact a resident and ain't dead. Doctors and hospitals have to fill out a death certificate and that has to be in a computer somewhere. By cross-checking the votes from each state with the others you can see if anybody voted in more than 1 state. Computers are good at that shit. You can run various programs to look for fraud; maybe you can't eliminate it altogether but you can take steps to reduce the opportunities for fraud by quite a bit.
There is no paper ballot in my proposed system. You have face recognition and id numbers to ENTER the ballot system where your ballot is managed. You then fill out the ballot via your cell phone or computer through a series of Yes/No questions. Once completed your electronic ballot is locked.

We have the technology but we are risk of hacking or a fake hacking with the government claiming they were hacked but were not so they can nullified the vote if they are losing to a third party...

So yes it can be done but there are risks...

We have the technology but we are risk of hacking or a fake hacking with the government claiming they were hacked but were not so they can nullified the vote if they are losing to a third party...

So yes it can be done but there are risks...
Definitely there are risks, but with blockchain technology and keeping the election system on a private network just like highly classified labs are, the risks can be mitigated.

Forum List

Back