Is A Corporation A Person

Well, I A Corporation A Person?

• Total voters
Corporations are owned and operated by people. The legal construct of "corporate personhood" has nothing to do with what most people get bent out of shape about when it comes to corporate malfeasance. Arguably, corporate personhood makes corporations more accountable because it allows them to be sued.

The real problem, in my view, is limited liability which shields the owners of the corporation from being sued. It protects the people who directly profit from a corporations misdeeds.

So you think if the corporation gets sued, than the net worth of every stock holder should be on the chopping block?

I don't think that is what he is saying.

I think he is talking about LLCs.

For public corporations, the shareholders will suffer a loss when a company is sued and the stock price drops.

Nope. all corporations enjoy limited liability. That's why people buy stock in them rather than become part owners. In the latter case, you can lose everything you own as the result of a lawsuit.

For the purposes of 1st Amendment protections .....yes.

See: Citizens United vs FEC

Why should it stop there? If a case can be made for limiting First Amendment protections for corporations, why not 5th amendment protections against seizure of private property?

It's getting to where you can't sue corporations either... like how Monsanto was trying to slip that nifty little nugget giving them immunity into the farm bill. If we don't take our government back from corporate ownership soon, this will be the norm. It's disgusting.

Monsanto Gets Its Way in Ag Bill | The Progressive

"Essentially, the riders would prevent the federal courts from restricting, in any way, the planting of a GE crop, regardless of environmental, health or economic concerns. USDA's mandated review process would be, like court-ordered restrictions, meaningless. A request to USDA to allow planting of a GE crop awaiting approval would have to be granted."
Their the devil incarnate. Good post my brother. :clap2:

Forum List

Back