Iranian Leader Tweets Christmas Greeting to Pope

Sunni Man

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2008
Patriotic American Muslim
Iran’s top leaders sent Christmas greetings on social media today, reaching out via unprecedented tweets from the Islamic republic — including one message directed at Pope Francis.

“Felicitations to @Pontifex on birthday of Christ, Prophet of love, mercy & friendship,” Iranian President Hassan Rouhani tweeted, referring to the Pope’s Twitter account, “@Pontifex.”

The Iranian leaders’ comments follow a similar interfaith outreach around the time of the Jewish New Year, in September, when Rouhani used Twitter to “wish all Jews, especially Iranian Jews, a blessed Rosh Hashanah.”

Since he assumed office in August, Rouhani has put a friendly face on engagement with the West, even exchanging tweets with U.S. President Barack Obama.

Iranian Leader Tweets Christmas Greeting to Pope - ABC News

Iran’s top leaders sent Christmas greetings on social media today, reaching out via unprecedented tweets from the Islamic republic — including one message directed at Pope Francis.

“Felicitations to @Pontifex on birthday of Christ, Prophet of love, mercy & friendship,” Iranian President Hassan Rouhani tweeted, referring to the Pope’s Twitter account, “@Pontifex.”

The Iranian leaders’ comments follow a similar interfaith outreach around the time of the Jewish New Year, in September, when Rouhani used Twitter to “wish all Jews, especially Iranian Jews, a blessed Rosh Hashanah.”

Since he assumed office in August, Rouhani has put a friendly face on engagement with the West, even exchanging tweets with U.S. President Barack Obama.

Iranian Leader Tweets Christmas Greeting to Pope - ABC News

I guess I can pull a Sunni and say one of his usual "Do tells." However, talk is cheap, and a great gesture would have been to at least release that American pastor being held in an Iranian prison.

Iran's beloved leader was kind enough to sent a friendly 'Merry Christmas' to the Pope.

It wasn't political in nature.

Just one spiritual leader reaching out to another spiritual leader.

What a wonderful gesture of peace.......... :cool:

Iran's beloved leader was kind enough to sent a friendly 'Merry Christmas' to the Pope.

It wasn't political in nature.

Just one spiritual leader reaching out to another spiritual leader.

What a wonderful gesture of peace.......... :cool:

Should I pull another Sunni and say "No doubt?" Action speaks louder than words, and it would have been nice if he had at least one Christian pastor released from prison. All of a sudden, Sunni Man, who can't stand the Shia because they think differently from the Sunnis, is sticking up for them. What a hypocrite he is!!! By the way, the Pope is not happy with what is going on in the Middle East, and he is afraid that Christianity will be wiped out there. Given what is happening, he has every right to be worried.

Should I pull another Sunni and say "No doubt?" Action speaks louder than words, and it would have been nice if he had at least one Christian pastor released from prison. All of a sudden, Sunni Man, who can't stand the Shia because they think differently from the Sunnis, is sticking up for them. What a hypocrite he is!!! By the way, the Pope is not happy with what is going on in the Middle East, and he is afraid that Christianity will be wiped out there. Given what is happening, he has every right to be worried.
Why do you want to go off on a tangent of hate Sally?

It was just one person greeting another person with a nice, "Merry Christmas".

How can anyone find fault with that?? .... :confused:

Should I pull another Sunni and say "No doubt?" Action speaks louder than words, and it would have been nice if he had at least one Christian pastor released from prison. All of a sudden, Sunni Man, who can't stand the Shia because they think differently from the Sunnis, is sticking up for them. What a hypocrite he is!!! By the way, the Pope is not happy with what is going on in the Middle East, and he is afraid that Christianity will be wiped out there. Given what is happening, he has every right to be worried.[/quote

]Why do you want to go off on a tangent of hate Sally?

It was just one person greeting another person with a nice, "Merry Christmas".

How can anyone find fault with that?? .... :confused:

As I said, talk is cheap. Don't you think the Pope is aware that Pastors are being held in Iranian prisons? Why don't you tell the readers that you are the hater and can't stand the Shia and want them rounded up to be put in one enclave. All of a sudden you are so interested in what a Shia has said to the Pope??? I am interested in knowing if a Sunni cleric sent the Pope a Christmas greeting. Do you happen to know?

The news said the Pope graciously accepted the 'Merry Christmas' from the Iranian leader in the spirit of Peace and Friendship it was given. .... :cool:

Of course the Pope would graciously accept it. He happens to be a lovely man. Now tell us if any of the Sunni clerics sent the Pope a Merry Christmas greeting.

The news said the Pope graciously accepted the 'Merry Christmas' from the Iranian leader in the spirit of Peace and Friendship it was given. .... :cool:

Of course the Pope would graciously accept it. He happens to be a lovely man. Now tell us if any of the Sunni clerics sent the Pope a Merry Christmas greeting.
Don't know......Don't care .... :cool:

Don't know......Don't care .... :cool:

If a Sunni cleric from Egypt or Saudi Arabia or any Sunni majority country gave the Pope good wishes for Christmas, you would be the first to post it here. I am sure the Pope is aware of all the murders committed by your Sunni brothers of Christians in the Middle East during Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, and seeing what a kind man he is, he no doubt is sick at heart.

Rouhani is the leader of the nation of Iran and he speaks for the government and the people of that country.

Whereas, a Sunni cleric at most would be the Imam of a mosque.

Big difference......... :cool:

Rouhani is the leader of the nation of Iran and he speaks for the government and the people of that country.

There are many top Sunni clerics who supposedly are big time scholars also. Did any one of these cleric/scholars ever reach out and wish any Pope a Merry Christmas. I really find it funny how Sunni, who can't stand the Shia, is now sticking up for a Shia.

By the way, did the Grand Ayatollah in Iran reach out to the Pope and wish him a Merry Christmas ? After all, one top religious leader to another should be happy to do this.

There are many top Sunni clerics who supposedly are big time scholars also. Did any one of these cleric/scholars ever reach out and wish any Pope a Merry Christmas.

By the way, did the Grand Ayatollah in Iran reach out to the Pope and wish him a Merry Christmas ? After all, one top religious leader to another should be happy to do this.
Question after question. ... :eusa_hand:

Sally, google is your friend........look it up yourself. ... :cool:

There are many top Sunni clerics who supposedly are big time scholars also. Did any one of these cleric/scholars ever reach out and wish any Pope a Merry Christmas.

Question after question. ... :eusa_hand:

Sally, google is your friend........look it up yourself. ... :cool:

You were the one who brought this up, so I am sure you can show us many examples where not only a Grand Ayatollah has given Christmas Greeting to a Pope, but also where a top Sunni cleric/scholar has done the same.

You were the one who brought this up, so I am sure you can show us many examples where not only a Grand Ayatollah has given Christmas Greeting to a Pope, but also where a top Sunni cleric/scholar has done the same.
Again, Silly-Sally, look it up if your soo interested. ... :thup:

Again, Silly-Sally, look it up if your soo interested. ... :thup:[/QUOTE

I'm really not that interested, Mr. Cuckoo, since I don't think he was actually sincere and neither do some of the Iranians I know. However, I think the world would be flabbergasted if the King of that bastion of devout Sunnis would ever send greetings to the Pope.

However, I think the world would be flabbergasted if the King of that bastion of devout Sunnis would ever send greetings to the Pope.
Exactly who is the "King of the bastion of devout Sunnis"?? .... :cuckoo: :lol: :lol:

Why, Mr. Cuckoo, it is the King of Saudi Arabia. When you go on the pilgrimage to visit the black rock, you can personally stop off and advise the King that it would be a wonderful gesture if he gave the Pope Christmas greetings.

Why, Mr. Sunni Man, it is the King of Saudi Arabia. When you go on the pilgrimage to visit the black rock, you can personally stop off and advise the King that it would be a wonderful gesture if he gave the Pope Christmas greetings.
No doubt .... :cool:

Let us know when you are going. We will give you a big Bon Voyage party.

Forum List

Back