Importance of Mike Brown's robbery video

Son, I'm a retired US Army Colonel. I've fought in 3 wars and shot at hundreds, if not thousands, of people. If you think me stating that I probably have a better understanding of the physical reactions involved in shooting another human being than a person who hunts deer and turkey is self aggrandizing than so be it; that isn't how I meant it.

There are opinions and there informed opinions, why people don't understand that some people have more experience in certain matters than they do is beyond me.

In any case, I meant no offense and apologize if I did so.

Let me be perfectly clear. I fully understand that my level of experience in civilian disturbances pales in comparison to what you have seen in your life. I applaud your service and formally bow to your experience in these matters as they pertain to the battlefield. Given your vastly superior experience in this matter, I respectfully withdraw my statement, it was a rude reactionary comment, esp. given that your statement was given from the perch of said vastly superior experience, and thus "justified." I apologize for jumping to the wrong conclusion.

To "re-frame" the argument, if there is one. Should we treat unarmed teens walking down the street as enemy combatants, if they throw a punch at a police officer. Said another way... what would happen if an MP killed an unarmed soldier with six bullets two to the head after receiving a punch from said soldier?

First, I appreciate the post and figured you would respond with such because we have had pleasant conversation in other threads.

Now to your question. The question is really unfair because well I was an MP in fact, and generally speaking soldiers don't take swings at MPs. Why? Because it is pretty well known if you take a swing at an MP you're going to have a bad day.

BUT, it does happen occasionally and so the first rule is NEVER give a suspect an opportunity to get your gun. Now, that may mean shooting them if you aren't capable of keeping them from overpowering you. For me , that was generally not a problem, I'm a fairly good sized guy with extensive hand to hand combat training. A 6'4" 300 lb guy would NOT get my gun and it would never leave my holster. But that's me.

As for what would happen to an MP who shot a solider 6 times after being assaulted by said soldier. My suspision is that it would be investigated and the MP would not face a court martial. But again, things are a little different in the military.

My personal belief is that ALL police officers should be ex military, and by ex military I mean honorable service. No discharged loons or basic training failures.

In an ideal world this officer should have been able to handle this kid without a weapon. That is correct, but we don't live in an ideal world.
Fair enough. I suppose you could say I'm an idealist in this regard. Here's to hoping if one of my boys gets drunk and screws up, cause let's face it none of us are without sin or regret, someone like you will be the law officer.

See , back in the old days a guy got a little out of line with the cops, they just kicked his ass and let him spend the night in jail. He learned his lesson most of the time, and believe me MPs do that A LOT. A lot of shit is never seen by a guy's commanding officer, no reason to ruin a guy's career cuz he got drunk and tore up a a bar or whatever. Just put a knot on his head and let him sleep it off.

And civilian police used to be like that to, but today you can't touch a guy without fear of being sued. Same with non lethals like pepper spray or whatever, people were complaining about cops using it so cops don't even carry them in most places anymore. So there is no step between oh shit here comes this big black guy and shooting him.

I checked, Ferguson cops are not equipped with night sticks, flashlights , tasers, or pepper spray as part of their uniform. ANY one of those things probably would have been enough to take the fight out of Mr Brown. But the
but people who complain incessantly about police brutality have taken those things off the table.

Now, I'm not suggesting police should just be allowed to run around beating the shit out of people, but a reality is there were more broken bones, but less dead bodies when people tended to look the other way when such things happened.

And another thing, again if I may. Police as a group, whether military or civilian, usually are pretty good about knowing the people they police.

In other words, for example I was an MP at several different bases over the years. At some of them the soldi were a little harder to deal with than others, and consequently I became harder in the way I dealt with them. At other bases, the soldiers were easier to deal with , and so I dealt with them easier.

In other words, most cops treat people the way they deserve to be treated.

Really? No non-lethal weapons? Not even a 5D Cell flash light? Political Correctness... sigh.

Exactly. So take that into account and tell me what a little cop is supposed to do when a much larger man attacks him. Remember, the FIRST rule in that situation is " do not lose your weapon"

And yes a 5 cell flashlight upside the head would have at least got that kid's attention. But nope, I guess liberals rather see dead blacks than blacks with knots on their heads.

Exactly. So take that into account and tell me what a little cop is supposed to do when a much larger man attacks him. Remember, the FIRST rule in that situation is " do not lose your weapon"

And yes a 5 cell flashlight upside the head would have at least got that kid's attention. But nope, I guess liberals rather see dead blacks than blacks with knots on their heads.

Love those steel mag lights... I'm not familiar with fighting while trying not to loose my gun. Sans the gun, I know what I would do if a much larger guy attacked me... mass momentum and all. All the fights I've been in, I don't remember fighting against anyone that wasn't bigger than me, didn't seem like a fair fight to take on someone my size :) Was into wrestling and judo when I was younger, looked forward to a good match, but then that was back in the days when it was generally considered ok for two guys to fight and come out friends afterwards.

Didn't the cop have a 4k pound vehicle? I thought the cop "drove" up to him and got out of the car to finish him off? Maybe I heard wrong. I'd like to see some facts vs. the guesses and hearsay.

Love those steel mag lights... I'm not familiar with fighting while trying not to loose my gun. Sans the gun, I know what I would do if a much larger guy attacked me... mass momentum and all. All the fights I've been in, I don't remember fighting against anyone that wasn't bigger than me, didn't seem like a fair fight to take on someone my size :) Was into wrestling and judo when I was younger, looked forward to a good match, but then that was back in the days when it was generally considered ok for two guys to fight and come out friends afterwards.

Didn't the cop have a 4k pound vehicle? I thought the cop "drove" up to him and got out of the car to finish him off? Maybe I heard wrong. I'd like to see some facts vs. the guesses and hearsay.

I was stationed up in Forth Wainwright, AK at one time, cold up there and dark half the year so not much to do but drink and fight.

I was a lowly LT but had had some pretty intense training up until that point, and had seen combat.

Anyway we get a report of a disturbance at a bar , I show up and theres 6 civilians facing off with like 10 soldiers, turns out that one of the civilian's wife wanted to play around with a soldier and was at the NCO club and the husband found out about it and brought some buddies to retrieve her.

Well these were some pretty burly boys and by the time I arrived they had done a number on the bar and hel their own against the ten soldiers.

When the soldiers noticed me, they stopped fighting completely. Came to attention and stood right where they were.

The civilians however were having none of it, they still wanted to fight and started accusing me of protecting the Army guys, and they wanted a piece of me.

I went up to the husband and said "son, do you know why these soldiers dropped everything the moment they seen me walk in the door?" he didnt have shit to say so I explained to him that those 10 soldiers were more afraid of me then they were of him and his 6 buddies for a reason

He didn't believe me and consequently he and his buddies got to spend some time in the local hospital.

But I never drew my weapon.

I was stationed up in Forth Wainwright, AK at one time, cold up there and dark half the year so not much to do but drink and fight.

I was a lowly LT but had had some pretty intense training up until that point, and had seen combat.

Anyway we get a report of a disturbance at a bar , I show up and theres 6 civilians facing off with like 10 soldiers, turns out that one of the civilian's wife wanted to play around with a soldier and was at the NCO club and the husband found out about it and brought some buddies to retrieve her.

Well these were some pretty burly boys and by the time I arrived they had done a number on the bar and hel their own against the ten soldiers.

When the soldiers noticed me, they stopped fighting completely. Came to attention and stood right where they were.

The civilians however were having none of it, they still wanted to fight and started accusing me of protecting the Army guys, and they wanted a piece of me.

I went up to the husband and said "son, do you know why these soldiers dropped everything the moment they seen me walk in the door?" he didnt have shit to say so I explained to him that those 10 soldiers were more afraid of me then they were of him and his 6 buddies for a reason

He didn't believe me and consequently he and his buddies got to spend some time in the local hospital.

Good times. Six burly... damn. There the big dog, then there's the guy that the big dog don't mess with, then there's the guy no one messes with, then there's that guy who's smarter than a bear and fights like one. Yeah, he's the guy I'm buying a round of beer for! :beer:

Good times. Six burly... damn. There the big dog, then there's the guy that the big dog don't mess with, then there's the guy no one messes with, then there's that guy who's smarter than a bear and fights like one. Yeah, he's the guy I'm buying a round of beer for!

LOL funny thing was stationed over in Germany several years after that and again got called to a disturbance at the NCO club. Show up and round up the trouble makers and one of the guys asks me "hey weren't you stationed at Wainwright once?" I tell him yes and he looks at his buddies and says fellers I suggest we get the fuck out of here. And they all went home without another word from me LOL

Good times. Six burly... damn. There the big dog, then there's the guy that the big dog don't mess with, then there's the guy no one messes with, then there's that guy who's smarter than a bear and fights like one. Yeah, he's the guy I'm buying a round of beer for!

LOL funny thing was stationed over in Germany several years after that and again got called to a disturbance at the NCO club. Show up and round up the trouble makers and one of the guys asks me "hey weren't you stationed at Wainwright once?" I tell him yes and he looks at his buddies and says fellers I suggest we get the fuck out of here. And they all went home without another word from me LOL

Ayup... once you have that rep.. it stops a lot of fights. Well, it does right up to the next guy that wants to be the big dog. Course my rep was nothing like yours. I don't think I ever won a fight against more than two guys at a time lol. I just wasn't mean enough to take guys out.. out.. I preferred grapple pin and choke to knock their teeth out, take their knees out, chop in the throat, type approaches.

Now a days it sounds like shoot to kill and claim self defense is the new fighting style.

Last edited:

Ayup... once you have that rep.. it stops a lot of fights. Well, it does right up to the next guy that wants to be the big dog. Course my rep was nothing like yours. I don't think I ever won a fight against more than two guys at a time lol. I just wasn't mean enough to take guys out.. out.. I preferred grapple pin and choke to knock their teeth out, take their knees out, chop in the throat, type approaches.

Now a days it sounds like shoot to kill and claim self defense is the new fighting style.

Where you been lately(?), because it has been like this for quite sometimes now in America. However, it isn't prevalent amongst those for whom one thinks that it is, but it has to played in this way or else how will the outcomes be what people want for them to be right ?

You two guy's are talking about the so called good ole days I see, but their are many whom claim now that there never was these so called good ole days, so you are being highly offensive to many whether or not you two know that right ?

Where you been lately(?), because it has been like this for quite sometimes now in America. However, it isn't prevalent amongst those for whom one thinks that it is, but it has to played in this way or else how will the outcomes be what people want for them to be right ?

You two guy's are talking about the so called good ole days I see, but their are many whom claim now that there never was these so called good ole days, so you are being highly offensive to many whether or not you two know that right ?
No tolerance policies... yeah, not a fan.

No matter what logical leaps you make he was unarmed and shot 6 times. Bad attitudes dont get you shot, scared or abusive cops get you shot

I was just going to post that although it looks like a walk in the park for the case for Wilson, we are all making assumptions without knowing the facts that are going to be presented to the Grand Jury. That goes for your post, too. Untrue about bad attitudes don't get you shot. Bad attitudes DO get you shot. If it turns out Wilson was justified in this killing, it definitely was a bad attitude that got Brown shot. He should have froze when ordered to do so.

It will all come out in the investigation. We have to have faith in the law.

He didn't get killed for his attitude.
He got killed for battery on a LEO, a felony. and for trying to take the cop's gun, another felony...and both are legal reasons for a cop to shoot.

Sure it is but officers are trained and yet and still the officer still hasnt given a reason why he shot Brown 6 times, from a distance who was unarmed. So whatever reason you give is totally made up by you.

Notice how this guy who was high on mushrooms and had "super human strength" and not one shot was fired. Not one. Thats how they are trained.

and you see NO difference between that situation and the M Brown situation? I mean come on. there were SIX cops there , also, remember in the Brown situation there was another possible suspect with Brown.

Also, remember this was over in FOUR minutes start to finish.

There were only 3 cops and it took 9 cops to keep him down. But since he was super strong and not super heavy or tall then you dont see the comparison.

I thought that when you grab a gun they shoot you. Now you throw in height and weight as reasons too.

Also that guys name wasnt Mike. :rolleyes:

No matter what logical leaps you make he was unarmed and shot 6 times. Bad attitudes dont get you shot, scared or abusive cops get you shot

I was just going to post that although it looks like a walk in the park for the case for Wilson, we are all making assumptions without knowing the facts that are going to be presented to the Grand Jury. That goes for your post, too. Untrue about bad attitudes don't get you shot. Bad attitudes DO get you shot. If it turns out Wilson was justified in this killing, it definitely was a bad attitude that got Brown shot. He should have froze when ordered to do so.

It will all come out in the investigation. We have to have faith in the law.

He didn't get killed for his attitude.
He got killed for battery on a LEO, a felony. and for trying to take the cop's gun, another felony...and both are legal reasons for a cop to shoot.

Sure it is but officers are trained and yet and still the officer still hasnt given a reason why he shot Brown 6 times, from a distance who was unarmed. So whatever reason you give is totally made up by you.

Notice how this guy who was high on mushrooms and had "super human strength" and not one shot was fired. Not one. Thats how they are trained.

and you see NO difference between that situation and the M Brown situation? I mean come on. there were SIX cops there , also, remember in the Brown situation there was another possible suspect with Brown.

Also, remember this was over in FOUR minutes start to finish.

There were only 3 cops and it took 9 cops to keep him down. But since he was super strong and not super heavy or tall then you dont see the comparison.

I thought that when you grab a gun they shoot you. Now you throw in height and weight as reasons too.

Also that guys name wasnt Mike. :rolleyes:

What? There were 3 cops to begin with here and ONE suspect. ALL comparisons to the Brown shooting end there.

I'm sorry that you don't understand that different tactics apply when you have backup or when there are multiple suspects.

In the situation that I told above, do you REALLY think I waited for one of the six civilians to hit me before I responded? Nope, three of them were down before one of them even took a swing.

No matter how much it irks you, or how much you wish it wasn't so, a LEO has the right to defend himself, and self defense laws do NOT state that you have to wait to be hit before defending yourself.

Yeah except they havent given not ONE defense why Brown was shot far away and 6 times. You can cry about "its his right" all you want but so far they havent given one reason, the cop lawyered up, they provided a heavily redacted report and even that report which usually happens pretty quick took a while to even report it. Say what you want but thats not the norm...and neither is shooting an unarmed person 6 times

Yeah except they havent given not ONE defense why Brown was shot far away and 6 times. You can cry about "its his right" all you want but so far they havent given one reason, the cop lawyered up, they provided a heavily redacted report and even that report which usually happens pretty quick took a while to even report it. Say what you want but thats not the norm...and neither is shooting an unarmed person 6 times

Okay here is your reason.

Law enforcement training says that a suspect can travel 10 feet in 3 seconds. That means if he's 30 feet from you you assume he can reach you in 9 seconds.

Further, police training says you shoot until the suspect is down. I've seen guys with 10 bullets in them kill the shooter. It happens more often than you think.

So, if the kid was 30 feet away with head lowered and charging the cop, it was a completely legitimate shoot, and I GUARANTEE that you would walk away on a self defense plea yourself in the same circumstances.[/QUOTE]

Law enforcement training says that a suspect can travel 10 feet in 3 seconds. That means if he's 30 feet from you you assume he can reach you in 9 seconds.

Further, police training says you shoot until the suspect is down. I've seen guys with 10 bullets in them kill the shooter. It happens more often than you think.

So, if the kid was 30 feet away with head lowered and charging the cop, it was a completely legitimate shoot, and I GUARANTEE that you would walk away on a self defense plea yourself in the same circumstances.
[/QUOTE]

EDIT: this is CDZ - no insults, flaming, put downs.

Last edited by a moderator:

So, if the kid was 30 feet away with head lowered and charging the cop, it was a completely legitimate shoot, and I GUARANTEE that you would walk away on a self defense plea yourself in the same circumstances.

Again, this is made up bullshit by you. The police havent given this as a reason, They havent given any reasons at all. So you story time bullshit is just that...bullshit[/QUOTE]

What? I give you my perspective as a law enforcement officer and you call it bullshit?

Good grief.

Again, this is made up bullshit by you. The police havent given this as a reason, They havent given any reasons at all. So you story time bullshit is just that...bullshit

What? I give you my perspective as a law enforcement officer and you call it bullshit?

Good grief.[/QUOTE]

Your perspective as a cop means as much as my perspective as a black man. But we arent talking perspectives are we? We're talking about a specific case with specific facts, right?

If so, the fact is that the police havent given any reason, the ofc lawyered up and they waited on an incident report until someone started asking for it then they gave one that was heavily redacted.

Now, if there is anything I said wrong. Feel free to correct it. But if not, then you know as a LEO this is not the normal actions of an innocent person or department.
Again, if anytyhing I said was false let me know.

Again, this is made up bullshit by you. The police havent given this as a reason, They havent given any reasons at all. So you story time bullshit is just that...bullshit

Good grief.

Your perspective as a cop means as much as my perspective as a black man. But we arent talking perspectives are we? We're talking about a specific case with specific facts, right?

If so, the fact is that the police havent given any reason, the ofc lawyered up and they waited on an incident report until someone started asking for it then they gave one that was heavily redacted.

Now, if there is anything I said wrong. Feel free to correct it. But if not, then you know as a LEO this is not the normal actions of an innocent person or department.
Again, if anytyhing I said was false let me know.[/QUOTE]

No my perspective certainly means more than yours.As a black man how many situations like this have you been in? As a military cop, I've been in hundreds, if not thousands.

And you don't think it's SOP for police departments to wait to release details until they actually know what's going on? And let's remember to Ferguson's police department isn't very big and were no doubt a LITTLE busy with other stuff to worry about appeasing your curiosity about the case.

The FACT is they don't have to have any press conferences or anything of the like

PS - re you suggesting the cop isn't entitled to a lawyer.

Oh, and what I told you that would explain why he was shot at a distance was factual, why you dismissed it as opinion is beyond me.

No my perspective certainly means more than yours.As a black man how many situations like this have you been in? As a military cop, I've been in hundreds, if not thousands.

Not in this case. If we were talking about hypothetical scenarios you'd have it. Not with a real case with real facts that you are making up as you go.

And you don't think it's SOP for police departments to wait to release details until they actually know what's going on?

Thats a weak excuse. Are you saying this is SOP or not? It sounds like hand wringing to me

And let's remember to Ferguson's police department isn't very big and were no doubt a LITTLE busy with other stuff to worry about appeasing your curiosity about the case.

Nearly two weeks after Michael Brown’s death, a police report on the shooting has finally been made public. But the glaring lack of detail is likely to increase widespread criticism that the law-enforcement community is closing ranks around Darren Wilson, the officer who fatally shot Brown on Aug. 9.

Now lets see why it took so long. *snip*

Wilson never filed a report on the incident, according to the office of the St. Louis County prosecutor. The case was quickly turned over to the county at the request of local police. According to the document, the St. Louis County police entered the incident report on Aug. 19, 10 days after the shooting. It was approved for release the following morning. - See more at: Ferguson PD Refuses To Release Darren Wilson 8217 s Account Of Shooting Bossip

So they never listed them being small as a reason at all. Again, just more made up bullshit by you. Now they were all too busy to file an incident report which is usually SOP but but but not for such a small dept......yeah ok

The FACT is they don't have to have any press conferences or anything of the like

Thats it buddy...dance. :lol:

[quuote]Oh, and what I told you that would explain why he was shot at a distance was factual, why you dismissed it as opinion is beyond me.[/QUOTE]

Facts is what actually happen...You gave a reasoning not even the police gave.

Again dude, if anything I said was wrong feel free to counter it. But I'm not playing this "acting dumb" game with you (Oh you're saying he doesnt deserve a lawyer?)

Go play with someone else

Not in this case. If we were talking about hypothetical scenarios you'd have it. Not with a real case with real facts that you are making up as you go.

And you don't think it's SOP for police departments to wait to release details until they actually know what's going on?

Thats a weak excuse. Are you saying this is SOP or not? It sounds like hand wringing to me

And let's remember to Ferguson's police department isn't very big and were no doubt a LITTLE busy with other stuff to worry about appeasing your curiosity about the case.

Nearly two weeks after Michael Brown’s death, a police report on the shooting has finally been made public. But the glaring lack of detail is likely to increase widespread criticism that the law-enforcement community is closing ranks around Darren Wilson, the officer who fatally shot Brown on Aug. 9.

Now lets see why it took so long. *snip*

Wilson never filed a report on the incident, according to the office of the St. Louis County prosecutor. The case was quickly turned over to the county at the request of local police. According to the document, the St. Louis County police entered the incident report on Aug. 19, 10 days after the shooting. It was approved for release the following morning. - See more at: Ferguson PD Refuses To Release Darren Wilson 8217 s Account Of Shooting Bossip

So they never listed them being small as a reason at all. Again, just more made up bullshit by you. Now they were all too busy to file an incident report which is usually SOP but but but not for such a small dept......yeah ok

Thats it buddy...dance. :lol:

[quuote]Oh, and what I told you that would explain why he was shot at a distance was factual, why you dismissed it as opinion is beyond me.

Facts is what actually happen...You gave a reasoning not even the police gave.

Again dude, if anything I said was wrong feel free to counter it. But I'm not playing this "acting dumb" game with you (Oh you're saying he doesnt deserve a lawyer?)

Go play with someone else[/QUOTE]

Unlike you, I don't play.

I gave you a perfectly reasonable explanation as to why a cop would shoot a suspect who was 30 ' away. The FACT that you like the result of that is unimportant.What is important is that I have cross trained with every level of law enforcement there is and they universally train the the 10' in 3 seconds rule.

You are welcome to your opinion here of course, just realize that it is an uneducated opinion. Mine is backed up by years and years of training and in field experience.

You're out of your depth here son.

Yeah but I'm not interested in your story telling..I'm interested in the facts. Your training has shit to do with what happened and when I ask you very straight forward questions your dodging and playing dumb says all I need to know about you and your trolling.

I asked is lawyering up SOP of an innocent person? Your response: What? Derp! Police shouldnt have lawyers?

Enough said

Yeah but I'm not interested in your story telling..I'm interested in the facts. Your training has shit to do with what happened and when I ask you very straight forward questions your dodging and playing dumb says all I need to know about you and your trolling.

I asked is lawyering up SOP of an innocent person? Your response: What? Derp! Police shouldnt have lawyers?

Enough said

Is lawyering up SOP for an innocent person? Fuck yes it is, unless that person is stupid.

Forum List

Back