Immortality: Uploading Human Mind to Computers?

The ambitious mission of replicating the human brain onto a computer and achieving immortality.

You or your mind wouldn't be immortal. A copy of your mind would be.

Think of it as cloning. If I got a clone and die the next day, I would still be dead but my clone would be alive. I think that's an important distinction.
Actually the so called soul is merely ram running in the human mind. Replicating the ram would entail recreating a system for running the ram and another way of storing the memory. Researchers are currently trying to replicate human neural pathways by software. This may never happen but the end goal is to create awareness in software which would have to be labeled a type of life.

God is here, closer than most want to know

The idea of an artificial brain has been around for a long time. The hard problem is to try to replicate consciousness. Many argue that most more complex animals have consciousness. It might be easier to start with an animal and work up. "Dog years" would have a different meaning.

Are the brain and the mind different entities?
One way of looking at it is that the brain is the hardware in which the mind (software) resides. But it probably is not quite that simple.

There’s something elusive about mind. And where does personality come into it?

The ambitious mission of replicating the human brain onto a computer and achieving immortality.

Think of it as cloning. If I got a clone and die the next day, I would still be dead but my clone would be alive. I think that's an important distinction.
Actually the so called soul is merely ram running in the human mind. Replicating the ram would entail recreating a system for running the ram and another way of storing the memory. Researchers are currently trying to replicate human neural pathways by software. This may never happen but the end goal is to create awareness in software which would have to be labeled a type of life.

He’s a computer programmer?

Programmers are seriously attempting to replicate human neural pathways to learn both how the brain works and if programming itself can be improved by the process that God created eons ago

Programmers are seriously attempting to replicate human neural pathways to learn both how the brain works and if programming itself can be improved by the process that God created eons ago

Do you think I could keep my own personality in one of those robots?

I wouldn’t want to become a Stepford Wife.

Would you like to live forever?
Netflix series called Altered Carbon covers exactly that.
Humans have an implant, but only the rich and immoral have the money to afford a new body.
A group of selfish, bored, violent class of individuals who hold power indefinitely. One can still suffer true death if implant is injured.
Show is hyper violent and a bit shocking, but found it interesting. One could be tortured indefinitely in virtual reality.

Myself, I would like to live longer, if I could keep my youth and a biological body.

Would you like to live forever?
Netflix series called Altered Carbon covers exactly that.
Humans have an implant, but only the rich and immoral have the money to afford a new body.
A group of selfish, bored, violent class of individuals who hold power indefinitely. One can still suffer true death if implant is injured.
Show is hyper violent and a bit shocking, but found it interesting. One could be tortured indefinitely in virtual reality.

Myself, I would like to live longer, if I could keep my youth and a biological body.

lt’s the ravages of age that need curing. Because some of those decrepit bodies house brilliant minds.

Get talking to those telomeres.

Excellent point. Our clones would be as children to us and therefore we'd achieve immortality. Their children will also be machines and humanity will have become immortals.

Unknown, however the real avenue of interest is not preserving human minds but creating awareness in silicon

Unknown, however the real avenue of interest is not preserving human minds but creating awareness in silicon

I’d rather hoped we could preserve them. Like a transplant.

I'm not arguing that. I'm arguing that it's simply not immortality for a specific person. Since that person, both body and mind would still be dead. What would remain is a copy of the mind.

Put it another way; could the mind continue (somewhere out there) with out the physical body?
No, that's my point. What would continue is a copy of a specific mind. The actual mind would be dead. To me, immortality entails me as a person would be alive. It's a perspective thing.

I'm not arguing that. I'm arguing that it's simply not immortality for a specific person. Since that person, both body and mind would still be dead. What would remain is a copy of the mind.
No one is completely sure how memories are stored, but they appear to be chemical and electrical in nature. So copying memories is not even possible in theory until we know what the memory actually is composed of which is why neural pathway research has begun.

Watch your back Jack and do not expect a slip today either

I’d rather hoped we could preserve them. Like a transplant.
Since memories are trillions of molecular chemicals that interact with other trillions of neurons and the minute electrical charges that transmit the thought, the copying as we know this would not be possible at least until more is known

Random access memory is not the way any animal or human memory is designed. In RAM a specific address is given and data at that address is returned.

Biological memory is associative memory. The location of the data is unknown. The trigger is not a specific address, but a context given by key thoughts. An early artificial design is Hopfield networks used in visual training. One of the most obvious general usage of associative memories in web search engines.

Random access memory is not the way any animal or human memory is designed. In RAM a specific address is given and data at that address is returned.

Biological memory is associative memory. The location of the data is unknown. The trigger is not a specific address, but a context given by key thoughts. An early artificial design is Hopfield networks used in visual training. One of the most obvious general usage of associative memories in web search engines.
Actually the location of memories is fully known and is the cerebellum though yours might be stored in your butt. Again early designs are not as fascinating as the latest and theoretical designs that create competitive advantages. I also use the term RAM as a way to relate what happens in the mind with thoughts and memories as the human mind uses exactly the same electricity to distribute memories thru synapses as modern computers do thru wired connections. The human mind creates it's own current and is far more efficient than any microprocessor which is why human neural pathways are being copied into software as no one knows how or if this will advance true AI

In a Star Trek TNG episode, a scientist with a terminal illness uploaded his mind into Data's positronic brain. That was almost the end of Data, but the scientist was later convinced to transfer his mind back to his dying body before Data's consciousness was completely overwhelmed.

Actually the location of memories is fully known and is the cerebellum though yours might be stored in your butt. Again early designs are not as fascinating as the latest and theoretical designs that create competitive advantages. I also use the term RAM as a way to relate what happens in the mind with thoughts and memories as the human mind uses exactly the same electricity to distribute memories thru synapses as modern computers do thru wired connections. The human mind creates it's own current and is far more efficient than any microprocessor which is why human neural pathways are being copied into software as no one knows how or if this will advance true AI

Of course the gross location of the memory is known. I'm talking how individual memories within are located. That should have been obvious. There is a structure outside those locations that serve as the interface so that the context of a persons current thought or environment leads to particular memory locations.

You don't need to lecture me about neural nets. I have been in the field of supervised and unsupervised learning of networks for over 15 years. I adapted the brain's visual perception method of Hubel and Wiesel to work with parallel processors in real time for robot vision.

Of course the gross location of the memory is known. I'm talking how individual memories within are located. That should have been obvious. There is a structure outside those locations that serve as the interface so that the context of a persons current thought or environment leads to particular memory locations.

You don't need to lecture me about neural nets. I have been in the field of supervised and unsupervised learning of networks for over 15 years. I adapted the brain's visual perception method of Hubel and Wiesel to work with parallel processors in real time for robot vision.
Dude you have not been programming computers to behave like the human brain for 15 years as this is in it's infancy. You also said that the location of data meaning memories is unknown, and I corrected you by reminding you that memories are stored in the cerebellum or neo cortex. 0/1's are probably not the format of data storage in the human brain, though since the true mechanism remains elusive who knows. I believe that simulating the human brain in programming is merely a step to creating artificial life and that at some juncture silicon will become primitive as self replicating and self evolving computers will be the norm. At such time creating one for another planetary environment will also prove God and that we were actually created not only in his image but with his ability

In a Star Trek TNG episode, a scientist with a terminal illness uploaded his mind into Data's positronic brain. That was almost the end of Data, but the scientist was later convinced to transfer his mind back to his dying body before Data's consciousness was completely overwhelmed.
The character Data from the next generation is a literary creation not based in fact. The writers disguise this by using the terminology from seemingly relevant theoretical/scientific principals

Forum List

Back