I'm really disappointed with some people in my family.

We have all been indoctrinated in this society to value wealth before humanity. People frequently bring that imprinting back home to family as well.
That isn't true.

Sadly, it is, and it is a very sad commentary on this soceity.
It's not my story.

Well we all have difficulty admitting it.
Nothing to admit. My joy is in Christ, not this world.

I guess I just needed to vent about this. I'll try to make it short but it is what it is.

My grandfather recent passed. Before his passing, he was hospitalized with heart failure (not a heart attack) and required around the clock care because he would try to get out of bed and he couldn't. He would fall, etc. Well, the family got together and made a schedule where the kids would alternate days and nights and such so he would always have someone with him. Well, that was great, except for one of them. He always has been about himself. It's depressing. When we needed him he would think about himself first, then his father.

He caused many blow-ups between family members who have never had fights before. I would call my mom and ask daily how he was doing and I'd get a 2 minute update on him and 20 minutes about the drama in the family. I thought my family was immune to this. I thought we were closer than this. I mean right now I'm out of work and live the furthermost away of any of the grandkids and was really the only grandchild who drove 60 miles to relieve people and give them a chance to rest, and I swear I did more than some of his own kids did.

Now, come to find out the youngest son borrowed money from his dad to go to medical school, never paid it back, with two signed promissory notes. We totaled them out, he owes 58,000 dollars with interest. He's a doctor, making a fortune, yet none of the family wants to make him pay his debt. These loans were one of the last things my grandfather mentioned before he passed, and the family doesn't have the balls to collect on the debt that their own father wanted collected. My uncle didn't pay him back and waited for him to die so he could get away with it.

Sad shit man.

You're still better off if the family was able to work together enough to keep your grandfather out of a nursing facility. Those places are nothing but warehouses sans medical care for elders and their primary concern is to drain whatever resources their charges were able to accumulate over a lifetime. And while it is completely understandable to be upset with a family member who was not doing their part and/or was only focused on their own cut of what would be left, who actually had the privilege of caring for your grandfather? This is all that will matter down the road, your spirit will be at ease, connected to your ancestor’s.

I guess I just needed to vent about this. I'll try to make it short but it is what it is.

My grandfather recent passed. Before his passing, he was hospitalized with heart failure (not a heart attack) and required around the clock care because he would try to get out of bed and he couldn't. He would fall, etc. Well, the family got together and made a schedule where the kids would alternate days and nights and such so he would always have someone with him. Well, that was great, except for one of them. He always has been about himself. It's depressing. When we needed him he would think about himself first, then his father.

He caused many blow-ups between family members who have never had fights before. I would call my mom and ask daily how he was doing and I'd get a 2 minute update on him and 20 minutes about the drama in the family. I thought my family was immune to this. I thought we were closer than this. I mean right now I'm out of work and live the furthermost away of any of the grandkids and was really the only grandchild who drove 60 miles to relieve people and give them a chance to rest, and I swear I did more than some of his own kids did.

Now, come to find out the youngest son borrowed money from his dad to go to medical school, never paid it back, with two signed promissory notes. We totaled them out, he owes 58,000 dollars with interest. He's a doctor, making a fortune, yet none of the family wants to make him pay his debt. These loans were one of the last things my grandfather mentioned before he passed, and the family doesn't have the balls to collect on the debt that their own father wanted collected. My uncle didn't pay him back and waited for him to die so he could get away with it.

Sad shit man.
You have every right to be disappointed. He signed promissory notes and that leaves the rest of the family with less of an inheritance. It's also a bad example for those growing up in the family.
Like I said Jackson anyone with standing can bring the matter to court.
And that is exactly what should happen!

That isn't true.

Sadly, it is, and it is a very sad commentary on this soceity.
It's not my story.

Well we all have difficulty admitting it.
Nothing to admit. My joy is in Christ, not this world.

That's your denial speaking, and I'm sure it is difficult for you to deal with this world; it is nothing Christlike after all.
Your expectations of this world is what is going to disappoint you. If your expectations are not in this world but in Christ you are not going to be disappointed, Fenton. If you are your own god, when you fall into trials? It's going to be a rough ride. VERY.

I'm going to assume there is a full moon out tonight and it is causing folks to completely forget they are posting in THE LOUNGE...as such, I didn't notice some posts that are now absent from the thread and I'm going to assume that...everyone now realizes they are in THE LOUNGE...:eusa_whistle:

As a side note: the cow metaphor is not calling your sister a cow Goosey, if your not sure what it means pm me.

Sad shit man.
If one is going to "loan" a family member money, best resign oneself to the overwhelming likelihood that you'll never see said money again.

Sad shit man.
You can pick your nose, your scabs and your friends, but you can't pick your family..

I did word one part wrong. I would call my mom every day to check on my grandpa, not on my selfish uncle. I would hear about the selfish uncle whether I wanted to or not. The uncle that borrowed the money is NOT the same one who is selfish. The selfish one is dirt ass broke. The doctor isn't. The selfish one was selfish in that my grandfather didn't want the TV on in the hospital room, but whenever my uncle would be the one to sit with him for the day, he would put the TV on. He really wasn't much help, he was just selfish. It wasn't about him, it was about my grandfather. Whatever my grandpa wanted, he should have gotten. He would show up late on his days to spend the day with him, he would leave sometimes to check on his cat, etc. It was ridiculous.

It's not about me bringing anyone to court, it's about expecting my family to uphold a debt that my uncle took in to go to medical school. He has benefited 100 fold from that money, and is by far the wealthiest member of the family. My family is fretting about money, because after the funeral my grandpa didn't have much money left in his account. I told my dad he's sitting on 60,000 dollars, collect it. He said "I don't want to be the evil villain." I said well then don't bitch to me about money. Every single one of my grandfathers kids will lose out on 10,000 dollars of inheritance because of my uncle not paying back his loan. They money could also be used to fix up the house to sell, because it's in terrible shape and not worth much as it is. It's the oldest house for miles in all directions. It was the first built on this side of town, a town of now more than 150,000 people.

I really appreciate you guys' kind words. I told my dad to be thankful, he kept his dad, with a right mind until the very end, up until he was almost 70. That he should be thankful for. He will be missed, he was a nice guy and funny as hell, even on his death bed. Up until the end he was himself. The heart failure was depriving his brain of oxygen so he started to say some bizarre stuff at the end, but may he rest in peace.

Last edited:
I did word one part wrong. I would call my mom every day to check on my grandpa, not on my selfish uncle. I would hear about the selfish uncle whether I wanted to or not. The uncle that borrowed the money is NOT the same one who is selfish. The selfish one is dirt ass broke. The doctor isn't.

It's not about me bringing anyone to court, it's about expecting my family to uphold a debt that my uncle took in to go to medical school. He has benefited 100 fold from that money, and is by far the wealthiest member of the family. My family is fretting about money, because after the funeral my grandpa didn't have much money left in his account. I told my dad he's sitting on 60,000 dollars, collect it. He said "I don't want to be the evil villain." I said well then don't bitch to me about money. Every single one of my grandfathers kids will lose out on 10,000 dollars of inheritance because of my uncle not paying back his loan. They money could also be used to fix up the house to sell, because it's in terrible shape and not worth much as it is. It's the oldest house for miles in all directions. It was the first built on this side of town, a town of now more than 150,000 people.

I really appreciate you guys' kind words. I told my dad to be thankful, he kept his dad, with a right mind until the very end, up until he was almost 70. That he should be thankful for. He will be missed, he was a nice guy and funny as hell, even on his death bed. Up until the end he was himself. The heart failure was depriving his brain of oxygen so he started to say some bizarre stuff at the end, but may he rest in peace.
May your Grandpa indeed rest in peace, and be fondly remembered by his family.
Peace, APM!

The worst part is ahead, he had one son still living in the house and now he refuses to live there since his dad died there, he moved in with his girlfriend. So now we have to get everything out of the house and sell it. It's going to be hard on this family. I'm so excited though, he smoked cigars for decades and didn't have cancer. I've got his genes, I'm happy about that! I don't even smoke.

I did word one part wrong. I would call my mom every day to check on my grandpa, not on my selfish uncle. I would hear about the selfish uncle whether I wanted to or not. The uncle that borrowed the money is NOT the same one who is selfish. The selfish one is dirt ass broke. The doctor isn't. The selfish one was selfish in that my grandfather didn't want the TV on in the hospital room, but whenever my uncle would be the one to sit with him for the day, he would put the TV on. He really wasn't much help, he was just selfish. It wasn't about him, it was about my grandfather. Whatever my grandpa wanted, he should have gotten. He would show up late on his days to spend the day with him, he would leave sometimes to check on his cat, etc. It was ridiculous.

I am helping to take care of my 88 year old Mom in law.....She has 6 kids..One died last year and dropped out...Only one child out of the remaining 5 will help take care of her....So don't get to excited, it's not unnatural for folks to be hard hearted...

We have all been indoctrinated in this society to value wealth before humanity. People frequently bring that imprinting back home to family as well.
That isn't true.

Unfortunately it is.

I've witnessed "good christian women" throw family under the bus for a dollar.

I'm not the one they have to answer to, that's on them. All I can do is the best I can do.

That isn't true.

Unfortunately it is.

I'm not the one they have to answer to, that's on them. All I can do is the best I can do.

I think it comes down to this...regardless of religion...people are people. The good, the bad, the ugly...the ever striving to be better...exist everywhere.

That isn't true.

Unfortunately it is.

I think it comes down to this...regardless of religion...people are people. The good, the bad, the ugly...the ever striving to be better...exist everywhere.

"being better" should not involve screwing other family members over.

Karma being the way it is, for all her efforts, it amounted to nothing.

That isn't true.

Unfortunately it is.

Unfortunately, part of my husband's family is in the category of "screwing" family members over. We don't get to pick our relatives...and some will endlessly take advantage.

Sad shit man.
You can pick your nose, your scabs and your friends, but you can't pick your family..
I used to date this Irish lass from Boston who described her parents and sib's as "the A-holes that I am related to."

Sad shit man.
I used to date this Irish lass from Boston who described her parents and sib's as "the A-holes that I am related to."
Remember to honor thy Father and Mother, but that doesn't mean you have to respect them...

That isn't true.

Unfortunately it is.

Karma is a Buddhist concept that has also made it's way into early Christianity. This is why some scholars speculate that Jesus went to India to learn Buddhism before he began his Galilean and Judean ministries.

Well this is why we have courts and laws -- to settle probate issues such as these.

Anytime you are dealing in big bucks in the tens of thousands even your own family members will often try to screw you. My baby sister is exactly like that.

Forum List

Back