Illinois Man Faces 75 Years in Jail for Filming Police

I hate to say it, but I agree with Nick on this. Show him the warrant....I don't have a problem with anything they have done to Nick's dad or brother if they showed him the warrant. "It's in the computer and it's active?" Really?

As for the judge finding people guilty because they won't take a video down - if that is true, then he or she is not fit to be a judge.

Yet another reason the US justice system fails - appointments are political, not based on ability....

I hate to say it, but I agree with Nick on this. Show him the warrant....I don't have a problem with anything they have done to Nick's dad or brother if they showed him the warrant. "It's in the computer and it's active?" Really?

As for the judge finding people guilty because they won't take a video down - if that is true, then he or she is not fit to be a judge.

Yet another reason the US justice system fails - appointments are political, not based on ability....

Yup, agreed.

"In the computer" isn't good enough. Show him the damn warrant. Not tough. If it's in the computer print the damn thing out.

When his Dad stepped back from the door the cop took a step in the house...... again, without showing him a warrant. At that point his Dad put his hands on him and rightfully so, IMO. The cop is an intruder at that point.

The pig should lose his job for what he did.

Every criminal claims he "found it". I can't believe you are so gullible to believe your thief of a brother. When he "found it" did he try to find the rightful owner?

I can't believe your brother would allow your daddy to be tazed over a stinking IPad. If he owned up to his own responsibilities....none of this would have happened

Have you ever found an iPhone that was locked? You can't just give it back t the owner because you can't find out who they are. I walk the dogs daily & find 5 phones a year at the park or on the street. The ones that are locked only allow you to call 911. I called 911 & ask the police what the caller ID number is so I can return the phone & they say no they will not give out the info. They say it is not a police matter & do not call 911 for that. I even tried to explain that lost phones today are like a lost wallet. They have photos, video, financial info, contacts, etc. They did not see it that way & said don't bother them. I call the cell carrier who's logo is on the phone & ask who the phone belongs to & they tell me I must bring the phone to one of their stores to turn it in. Have you ever seen how long the lines are at most phone stores, especially an Apple Store? After standing in a long line just to return a phone, that was it for that crap. They do this to make sure that their customer must buy a new phone. When I returned it they just threw it into the recycle phone bin. If you want your phone back you had best put a number on it to call if found or a mailing address. Because otherwise it goes right into the recycle bin or I will sell it or give it to a charity.

Down here there are four ways (and I left the job 20 years ago, so forget the fourth) you can go into somebody's house or search them.
1) Their consent
2) With a warrant (you have to have it on you - signed by a jp or judge)
3) Under special powers ie Drugs Act or Firearms Act - when you enter the premises you say "Under section 18A of the drugs act 1989 I am now searching you/your premises" etc. Once you say those words, under law they have to let you do your job. Then you have to file a report and send it down to police headquarters in Wellington - the result of the search, what was found etc. All the times those special powers are used are then collated at the end of the year to make sure it is not being abused. ie - if officers use it 20,000 times a year and only 100 arrests are made, questions would be asked.

This is pathetic from what I've seen

Last edited:
The odd part is that my brother never stole the Ipod and that there was never a warrant to begin with - not to mention the Ipod was never reported STOLEN in the first place, it was reported lost.

To this day the arrest warrant has never been produced.

No one has seen a physical copy of it..There was no warrant.......

This is how inept the police and those that file documents are around here...

It's bizarro world.....

Yeah that is correct - there is no documentation that a judge EVER signed a warrant other than a couple of cops testimony....

Inept isn't even the correct word to describe these asshat clowns - how about totalitarian insanity - is there a word for that?

Last edited:
If you have a decent lawyer and there was no warrant and no evidence of a judge signing a warrant y'all should win.

And the oinker should be fired.

Well, after watching the video and listening to your father, I can see where your arrogance and piss-poor attitude comes from. :)

Maybe I'm pissed because of what happened?

Maybe I'm pissed because the local policy is tase first and ask questions later.

If you ask a cop around here any question they will respond with or imply "you're going to jail and I'm going to crack your scull if you question me again."

These clowns are sociopaths that care about nothing...

If you have a decent lawyer and there was no warrant and no evidence of a judge signing a warrant y'all should win.

And the oinker should be fired.

They found my father guilty and the lawyers closing arguments were: "find this man guilty or he will sue."

Oh and my dads lawyers thought it was bright to pad the jury with a bunch of progressives.

"find this man guilty because he will sue" is the best the fucking prosecutor could come up with....

And the fucking jury bought it.....

How am I not surprised that you found a way to blame progressives?

I don't think you are telling the whole story.

My dad was tried and convicted of assaulting an officer and disorderly conduct...

He was the one that was assaulted..

He was assaulted for standing up for his constitutional rights..... The state said "bullshit" and stormed the house.

If the cops showed a warrant signed by a judge to search for my brother my father would have let them in the house, they didn't have one hence this occurred.

My dad was tried and convicted of assaulting an officer and disorderly conduct...

He was assaulted for standing up for his constitutional rights..... The state said "bullshit" and stormed the house.

If the cops showed a warrant signed by a judge to search for my brother my father would have let them in the house, they didn't have one hence this occurred.

Based on what I saw in the video, I agree.

I'm not clear on what went on in court though.

But like I said....appeal.

It's his right.

How am I not surprised that you found a way to blame progressives?

I don't think you are telling the whole story.

I am and there was a website that provided all the documents that confirms my assertions but my dad took it down because his lawyers were being ruled against by the judge that upheld the juries ruling...

Thats right the judge that presided over the case is convicting innocent people of crimes just because he was pissed my dad put a website up with all the court documents - including the trial transcripts..

He put everything online and millions read the trial transcript...

It's his right.

Well he is appealing and that takes time - up to 2 years.

The funny part is that he has less time to file his lawsuit so it's a 20/20..

Oh and my advice to him was file his lawsuit for "excessive force" in which he would win in a nanosecond given the video, but he is insistent on other aspects of the assault the cops committed.

I don't understand why he's even playing this legal game...

I'd put the site back up and sue the Lake County Police for excessive force but that would be me... I suppose me and my father aren't alike after all.....

Last edited:

It's his right.

Oh and my advice to him was file his lawsuit for "excessive force" in which he would win in a nanosecond given the video, but he is insistent on other aspects of the assault the cops committed.

I don't understand myself why he's even playing this legal game...

I'd put the site back up and sue the Lake County Police for excessive force but that would be me... I suppose me and my father aren't alike after all.....

I'd sue if I were him....

Not to mention my fathers case was based on what happened outside of the house, he has what happened outside of the house on tape but couldn't introduce it as evidence to exonerate himself because it would have been a felony.....

Does anyone realize how odd that is?

You can't use evidence that will clear you of charges because the evidence you have that clears you of the charges can land you in prison for 15 years...

in short you can go to jail for 7 years but the evidence you have to prove you're innocent can put you in prison for 15 years.....

Put yourself in that situation....

Oh and I'm not talking about the inside video, that is perfectly legal - what the case was based on was the outside video which would be a crime to introduce as evidence...

It's his right.

I don't understand myself why he's even playing this legal game...

I'd sue if I were him....

Well he is, but he can't sue for anything but excessive force because the jury found him guilty...

The only reason why they did was because the prosecutor said "find this man guilty or he will sue."

BTW, that statement is judicial misconduct...

May as well say: "find this man guilty or the state will no longer be able to support you, he will be rich and you will be poor so find him guilty."

in short you can go to jail for 7 years but the evidence you have to prove you're innocent can put you in prison for 15 years.....

Put yourself in that situation....

Oh and I'm not talking about the inside video, that is perfectly legal - what the case was based on was the outside video which would be a crime to introduce as evidence...

Why is it a crime to introduce it as evidence?

Forum List

Back