If You Like the High Beef Prices, You'll love What's Coming Next

johngaltshrugged

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2020
Who among us doesn't love to pay $15+/lb for a steak at the grocery store?
With current beef cattle inventories at the lowest level since 1962 (US population <182 million), the prices have nowhere to go but up. And then up higher again.

Drought conditions, high fuel costs & fertilizer shortages combined with massive increases in the prices of feed & hay caused much of the reduction.
Here in OK, many of the ranchers faced the same circumstances & we were forced to cull herds just to get the remaining ones through the winter with enough feed.

The current inventory shortages will really hit your wallets over the next few years.
Is everybody ready for those $12 Big Macs?

The prices we get as ranchers has barely gone up at all so far so the price of raising beef for market makes it almost impossible to turn a profit.
Just like with the farmers, these conditions are not sustainable & may force independents like myself to make some hard choices.

In the last 2 years, my costs on round bales have risen >250% while cattle feed is up about 30%, my herd is down over 50% & I'm seriously considering just keeping enough to raise for family & friends.

University of Kentucky’s Kenny Burdine and James Mitchell, extension livestock economist for the University of Arkansas System Division of Agriculture, recently explained that “There was no question that the beef cow herd had gotten smaller” and that the cattle production’s downward trend does not seem like it will reverse in 2023.”

“There is a pretty substantial biological lag in the beef supply chain,” Mitchell noted. “What consumers experience at the grocery store is a product of what cattle producers were going through a year or two ago. It takes about two years for a new calf to become the steak on your dinner plate.”

With current beef cattle inventories at the lowest level since 1962 (US population <182 million), the prices have nowhere to go but up. And then up higher again.

Drought conditions, high fuel costs & fertilizer shortages combined with massive increases in the prices of feed & hay caused much of the reduction.
Here in OK, many of the ranchers faced the same circumstances & we were forced to cull herds just to get the remaining ones through the winter with enough feed.

The current inventory shortages will really hit your wallets over the next few years.

The prices we get as ranchers has barely gone up at all so far so the price of raising beef for market makes it almost impossible to turn a profit.
Just like with the farmers, these conditions are not sustainable & may force independents like myself to make some hard choices.

In the last 2 years, my costs on round bales have risen >250% while cattle feed is up about 30%, my herd is down over 50% & I'm seriously considering just keeping enough to raise for family & friends.

University of Kentucky’s Kenny Burdine and James Mitchell, extension livestock economist for the University of Arkansas System Division of Agriculture, recently explained that “There was no question that the beef cow herd had gotten smaller” and that the cattle production’s downward trend does not seem like it will reverse in 2023.”

“There is a pretty substantial biological lag in the beef supply chain,” Mitchell noted. “What consumers experience at the grocery store is a product of what cattle producers were going through a year or two ago. It takes about two years for a new calf to become the steak on your dinner plate.”

Regenerative farming would improve the situation in the long term

$12 Big Mac's ? Glad I don't Eat that shit! :cool:

I looked that up & couldn't get past all the climate change BS.

I don't see how spending even more $ is going to help me if the prices I get don't go up dramatically to cover added expenses.

Maybe you can tell me what I'm missing here?

We got a rewards check from our Costco CC as we do every year.....Usually we buy steaks and such with it.

So the wife was getting ready to head to Costco this morning and asked what meat to get and I told her some Kirkland bacon, some pork chops, and a roasted chicken. I refuse to pay the high beef prices anymore.

A ALDI roast kit every now and again is good enough to sate my beef hankering. We were never big beef eaters anyway.

I looked that up as well. That comment was apparently written by a non-farming vegetarian twigboy with no clue.

I don't see how spending even more $ is going to help me if the prices I get don't go up dramatically to cover added expenses.

"regenerative agriculture is farming and ranching in harmony with nature"

In other words, neolithic farming ...

neolithic-farmers.jpg

Notice how the price spikes are ALWAYS for the things the elites don't want us to have? Meat, cars, single family homes, air travel, gas/oil, etc.

This is intentional.

You will probably spend less but its not an instant or overnight cure

Maybe 2-5 years to see results

I'm a meat cutter. Yup, the prices are increasing as with everything. Yet, somehow I have a freezer chock full of meat I bought that was marked down. Giant legs of lamb for $20. Still get chicken for 99cts/lb sometimes. 4 big Sirloin steak medallions for a little under $7, not bad. A duck for $5! It was bought frozen but was going out of date...and trust me, there is nothing wrong with it. I've been doing this 32 years and I've never poisoned myself or anyone else.

I sometimes get good pork for barely more than $2/lb too. Rib racks for $8. Me, wife and son eat for days on it with other stuff in-between. Burger stuffed peppers. Fresh kielbasa that was marked down to like $1.49/lb. I bought NINE loops and froze them. We eat like gods for pennies sometimes.

Part of the high meat price thing is about taking advantage of gluttonous hedonistic people. The people who WILL actually pay $26/lb for dry aged moldy meat! Or people who just HAVE to have FAT....and are willing to pay $15 a pound or more for a rib steak which is 30% fat and 15% bone. This doesn't just target the rich either. It targets SNAP/welfare people who have amassed sometimes thousands in their accounts of OUR money....and they buy shrimp and filet mignon with it all the time Our cashiers can verify this AND their balances. It partially came with stimulus in 2020 and 21. Then the "shortages" started and were blamed on the pandemic....which is over but the random "shortages" persist. That's because the government and big business have teamed up to fuck us. It's their new racket. It will continue until some Ralph Nader type cracks it open...and hopefully doesn't get assassinated for it. By playing this game producers can get away with producing less and making the same amount of money with less labor expense too! It hasn't just been beef, shortages of everything happened seemingly randomly everywhere. Eventually the products are brought back....at a higher price due to "scarcity". Bullshit. It's not an accident. It's planned scarcity.

We have friends just a couple miles from here who raise free range cattle and 4 Bison. It's a small mom and pop farm business, but mostly for family and friends and a few local butcher shops... He's an excellent butcher himself and has a side business of going to small farmers out here and killing and cutting their animal or two for them...

He's also in construction during the summer and wifey takes over....

Anyway he has several hundred acres with many different meadows and harvests his own hay in fall for winter feeding....

Well the first time in all of his decades of cattle farming free range, his Bison went missing...gone! A total escape!!!

He search for three straight weeks looking for them, every day.... No reports from anyone spotting 4 Bison roaming...before he found them and rounded them home.

He killed and butcherd all 4 near immediately, which made me sad.... but he said he had to, because once they escaped and survived well for three weeks, they would forever try to escape from here on out....?

:(

I'm a meat cutter. Yup, the prices are increasing as with everything. Yet, somehow I have a freezer chock full of meat I bought that was marked down. Giant legs of lamb for $20. Still get chicken for 99cts/lb sometimes. 4 big Sirloin steak medallions for a little under $7, not bad. A duck for $5! It was bought frozen but was going out of date...and trust me, there is nothing wrong with it. I've been doing this 32 years and I've never poisoned myself or anyone else.

I sometimes get good pork for barely more than $2/lb too. Rib racks for $8. Me, wife and son eat for days on it with other stuff in-between. Burger stuffed peppers. Fresh kielbasa that was marked down to like $1.49/lb. I bought NINE loops and froze them. We eat like gods for pennies sometimes.

Part of the high meat price thing is about taking advantage of gluttonous hedonistic people. The people who WILL actually pay $26/lb for dry aged moldy meat! Or people who just HAVE to have FAT....and are willing to pay $15 a pound or more for a rib steak which is 30% fat and 15% bone. This doesn't just target the rich either. It targets SNAP/welfare people who have amassed sometimes thousands in their accounts of OUR money....and they buy shrimp and filet mignon with it all the time Our cashiers can verify this AND their balances. It partially came with stimulus in 2020 and 21. Then the "shortages" started and were blamed on the pandemic....which is over but the random "shortages" persist. That's because the government and big business have teamed up to fuck us. It's their new racket. It will continue until some Ralph Nader type cracks it open...and hopefully doesn't get assassinated for it. By playing this game producers can get away with producing less and making the same amount of money with less labor expense too! It hasn't just been beef, shortages of everything happened seemingly randomly everywhere. Eventually the products are brought back....at a higher price due to "scarcity". Bullshit. It's not an accident. It's planned scarcity.
The reality, beef prices are trending down from a high in October of 2021. You can see that here,

So many people in the world envy us and we are so flippant on things that can go away.

Forum List

Back