If we rule out life elsewhere in our Solar System, why not seed it ourselves?

Fort Fun Indiana

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
Why not seed Europa's oceans with micro-organisms? Why not seed the ice caps of Mars with life? Why not seed the methane oceans of Titan with life?

What is the worst that could happen? Maybe we can even engineer the life we seed on each body in order to benefit ourselves. For example, we genetically engineer bacteria for Mars seeding that converts carbon dioxide to oxygen, leaving hydrocarbon waste for us to use to make energy.

Last edited:
Why not seed Europa's oceans with micro-organisms? Why not seed the ice caps of Mars with life? Why not seed the methane oceans of Titan with life?

What is the worst that could happen? Maybe we can even engineer the life we seed on each body in order to benefit ourselves. For example, we genetically engineer bacteria for Mars seeding that converts carbon dioxide to oxygen, leaving hydrocarbon waste for us to use to make energy.
We can't even take care of our own planet. What makes you think humans are responsible enough to "Green House" other orbiting planetoids in our solar system to benefit ourselves?

Because the oceans of Europa are already teeming with life: coral, squid, octopus, etc

We can't even take care of our own planet. What makes you think humans are responsible enough to "Green House" other orbiting planetoids in our solar system to benefit ourselves?
If we leave a few SUVs running 24/7 on the Moon, the GHG buildup will create a runaway warming trend and make it like Florida in a few short years

I realize you’re serious, but I wonder about possible negative consequences, like the seeded life evolving into “enemies” of our far future generations.
Maybe I’m a fan of science fiction :)

Sometimes I think Mars may be a bit too close to home for that because sometimes rocks from Mars land on Earth.

We could end up with a scenario where life evolves on Mars for millennia, then a novel pathogen from Mars that is viable somehow gets brought back to Earth's atmosphere on a meteor. An invasive species that wreaks havoc.

Sometimes I think Mars may be a bit too close to home for that because sometimes rocks from Mars land on Earth.

We could end up with a scenario where life evolves on Mars for millennia, then a novel pathogen from Mars that is viable somehow gets brought back to Earth's atmosphere on a meteor. An invasive species that wreaks havoc.

Don't fear the pods...

22greenhouseWeb-superJumbo.jpg

That's why President Trump is building The Wall

Breathing air is nice..

That's why President Trump is building The Wall
LOL! You're not right. But I get it.

I think it will be a few hundred years before man makes any serious attempt to go into space. When that day comes, it may be worth thinking about.

Of course, ethically, we would have to be 100% certain no life of any kind exists on another planet or moon before we seed our own on it.

I think it will be a few hundred years before man makes any serious attempt to go into space. When that day comes, it may be worth thinking about.

Of course, ethically, we would have to be 100% certain no life of any kind exists on another planet or moon before we seed our own on it.
We don't do it here so why bother doing it in space?

All life on Earth comes from the same biological origins. Competition between Earth organisms is normal and a vital part of our evolutionary process.

An organism on another planet or moon may very well be of a completely different biological origin.

Why we don't? I think it may revolve around availability of $$$$$.

All life on Earth comes from the same biological origins. Competition between Earth organisms is normal and a vital part of our evolutionary process.

An organism on another planet or moon may very well be of a completely different biological origin.
I get what you are saying. This is what I was referring to. "Of course, ethically,"

It would be an interesting experiment, but they would die on Mars due to solar wind.

China tried to grow cotton on the moon and they were successful, but the cotton plants died.

I get what you are saying. This is what I was referring to. "Of course, ethically,"

It's not ethically wrong to encourage competition between species native to Earth.

It would be an interesting experiment, but they would die on Mars due to solar wind.

China tried to grow cotton on the moon and they were successful, but the cotton plants died.

Plant are much more resistant to radiation that animals. Some plants are virtually immune to it.

Seeding the polar caps of Mars with dark plants would lower the albedo of Mars, warming the planet and releasing trapped water and atmosphere frozen in the Martian soil. In a few centuries, with enough plant life, the surface of Mars cold very well become a lower gravity version of Earth with breathable air and liquid water.

It's not ethically wrong to encourage competition between species native to Earth.
Says who?

Forum List

Back