If the Manhattan DA isn't going to prosecute fare evasion cases, why collect fares at all?

martybegan

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2010
Why pay the fare if there is no consequence for not doing it? Do you think the MTA is popping champagne corks over this.

Bill Bratton slams new Manhattan DA Alvin Bragg, blames Soros for election

The former commissioner slammed Bragg’s decision to not prosecute fare evasion — a policy that was already in place under former DA Cy Vance.

If I were a regular subway rider, I would just stop paying. Why let others get away with it? This is called the "chump" effect, and it is prevalent when low level crimes aren't prosecuted.

Why pay the fare if there is no consequence for not doing it? Do you think the MTA is popping champagne corks over this.

Bill Bratton slams new Manhattan DA Alvin Bragg, blames Soros for election

If I were a regular subway rider, I would just stop paying. Why let others get away with it? This is called the "chump" effect, and it is prevalent when low level crimes aren't prosecuted.
If I was a cop in New York, I would not arrest anybody, the DA will not prosecute, no matter if the law is still on the books or not. It would be a total waste of time and manpower. If New York doesn't want laws on the books, they should vote to remove them, if that is how they wish to live.

If I was a cop in New York, I would not arrest anybody, the DA will not prosecute, no matter if the law is still on the books or not. It would be a total waste of time and manpower. If New York doesn't want laws on the books, they should vote to remove them, if that is how they wish to live.

They counter that fare beaters will be issued civil summons, but what type of criminal would ever comply with one of those?

If you can't arrest and jail repeat offenders, why enforce the law at all?

Let the MTA suffer a bit from collections losses.

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to vote Democrat.

California's Prop 47 leads to rise in shoplifting, thefts, criminal activity across state

They forget that hardcore organized criminals will always figure out the easiest way to commit their crimes that have the least chance of hard prosecution.

Smash and grab has always been around as a shoplifting method, MASS smash and grab came about because of laws like this AND the ability for anyone to now fence stolen goods on the internet.

They forget that hardcore organized criminals will always figure out the easiest way to commit their crimes that have the least chance of hard prosecution.

Smash and grab has always been around as a shoplifting method, MASS smash and grab came about because of laws like this AND the ability for anyone to now fence stolen goods on the internet.
From the link:

Del Seymour, founder of the non-profit Code Tenderloin, told Fox News that fencers – often from Mexico and Guatemala – set up shop in the middle of the day and night around the city's United Nations Plaza area. He said he's also noticed that the stealers and dealers have gotten bolder by the day. The retail heists taking place, he said, aren't some small-time operation but instead a sophisticated network of international dealers who cross the border to buy stolen goods. What's worse is that a majority of the handoffs happen in view of San Francisco's City Hall.

"Of course it sends a message. They're doing it right here in the open."
— Del Seymour, founder of Code Tenderloin
And California's gutless Democrats aren't going to protect business owners from this.

From the link:

Del Seymour, founder of the non-profit Code Tenderloin, told Fox News that fencers – often from Mexico and Guatemala – set up shop in the middle of the day and night around the city's United Nations Plaza area. He said he's also noticed that the stealers and dealers have gotten bolder by the day. The retail heists taking place, he said, aren't some small-time operation but instead a sophisticated network of international dealers who cross the border to buy stolen goods. What's worse is that a majority of the handoffs happen in view of San Francisco's City Hall.

And California's gutless Democrats aren't going to protect business owners from this.

"Just the cost of doing business"

They have insurance, don't they?

They counter that fare beaters will be issued civil summons, but what type of criminal would ever comply with one of those?

If you can't arrest and jail repeat offenders, why enforce the law at all?

Let the MTA suffer a bit from collections losses.
MTA fares was not the main thrust of that article, as it was only mentioned in one sentence, unless there are many other articles about fare evasion and that was what it was really about. Most of the article, including the title was about Soros contributions to the election.
Heck, to the rest of the country, it appears they legalized prostitution there last year by deciding to quit prosecuting prostitution, where anybody can take the worm to the core in the big apple for the price of admission. MTA fare evasion? Who cares? There is no telling what is legal there now, if they have a list of what they will not prosecute.

MTA fares was not the main thrust of that article, as it was only mentioned in one sentence, unless there are many other articles about fare evasion and that was what it was really about. Most of the article, including the title was about Soros contributions to the election.
Heck, to the rest of the country, it appears they legalized prostitution there last year by deciding to quit prosecuting prostitution, where anybody can take the worm to the core in the big apple for the price of admission. MTA fare evasion? Who cares? There is no telling what is legal there now, if they have a list of what they will not prosecute.

Fare beating is one of the indicators of a society on the downslope. It's the concept of "broken windows" policing that going after petty criminals can A) sometimes catch bigger fish B) catches people early on in their criminal career and C) sets a tone that lawlessness will not be tolerated.

When you decide to not prosecute certain offenses, you decrease overall respect for the law, both as a deterrent with regards to criminals, and as a sense of security with regards to the law abiding.

"Just the cost of doing business"

They have insurance, don't they?
610phu.jpg

Fare beating is one of the indicators of a society on the downslope. It's the concept of "broken windows" policing that going after petty criminals can A) sometimes catch bigger fish B) catches people early on in their criminal career and C) sets a tone that lawlessness will not be tolerated.

When you decide to not prosecute certain offenses, you decrease overall respect for the law, both as a deterrent with regards to criminals, and as a sense of security with regards to the law abiding.
I never gave fare beating much thought, as I never lived anywhere paid mass transit was important, but your point is well taken. The large coastal megalopolis cities in America are screwed by their own past and population. I would not live in one, even if I could afford the cost of living difference.

I never gave fare beating much thought, as I never lived anywhere paid mass transit was important, but your point is well taken. The large coastal megalopolis cities in America are screwed by their own past and population. I would not live in one, even if I could afford the cost of living difference.

All well and good for you, but some of us stay here due to family and friends.

I was born here, grew up here, and part of me refuses to allow assholes like the new Manhattan DA and the former Mayor DiBlasio to ruin it.

All well and good for you, but some of us stay here due to family and friends.

I was born here, grew up here, and part of me refuses to allow assholes like the new Manhattan DA and the former Mayor DiBlasio to ruin it.
I guess you guys ought to invest in more courtrooms, judges, cops, retention facilities to handle the apparent trade and quit electing or allowing District Attorneys to say what is and isn't against the law, or you are just screwed. I would have no problem with a DA that said what laws he would like to go away, on his way out of office, but you guy got people who tell you up front they have no intention of following/enforcing your laws, yet for direct dereliction of duty, they get to stay, and your laws go unenforced. Sounds quite a bit like you are already screwed. Maybe you should go get a hooker to ease your pain and take your mind off it. It's not like it is against the law anymore.

I guess you guys ought to invest in more courtrooms, judges, cops, retention facilities to handle the apparent trade and quit electing or allowing District Attorneys to say what is and isn't against the law, or you are just screwed. I would have no problem with a DA that said what laws he would like to go away, on his way out of office, but you guy got people who tell you up front they have no intention of following/enforcing your laws, yet for direct dereliction of duty, they get to stay, and your laws go unenforced. Sounds quite a bit like you are already screwed. Maybe you should go get a hooker to ease your pain and take your mind off it. It's not like it is against the law anymore.

Manhattan is more screwed than my borough. DA's are by county still. There is no single DA for NYC.

Manhattan is more screwed than my borough. DA's are by county still. There is no single DA for NYC.
You are right, of course. In actuality, I know I lack the frame of reference, experience and education to actually have an informed idea of the path you folks should adopt, to clean up your problems in that megalopolis, more populated in a more constricted space than the whole state, I live in.

You are right, of course. In actuality, I know I lack the frame of reference, experience and education to actually have an informed idea of the path you folks should adopt, to clean up your problems in that megalopolis, more populated in a more constricted space than the whole state, I live in.

Why feel you can't have an opinion? Anyone can have one, that's the beauty of it. It's up to the listener to decide the validity of it in their own reference frame.

That being said, Bragg is an idealist, and idealists makes terrible District Attorneys.

The toxic bleeding heart liberal culture is destroying America

Tweeners like Golfing Gator or Mac1958 will argue that both sides are somehow to blame

but the reality is not even close

liberals are turning America into a third world country

Why feel you can't have an opinion? Anyone can have one, that's the beauty of it. It's up to the listener to decide the validity of it in their own reference frame.

That being said, Bragg is an idealist, and idealists makes terrible District Attorneys.
Well, in my opinion, (and you already know I am opinionated) he is not impressive, and I make no claim to have true understanding, what makes people go along with the political picks made in places like New York or other huge beehive cities. The acceptance found there, is not accepted here.
It is another reason, the hinterland does not wish to be ruled by the coasts.

Forum List

Back