If Homosexuality is Genetic ......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rreally? Why is that? Seems to me it kinda' shoots holes right through the bogus "hereditary" theory.

Sorry. I was trying to be funny.

You gotta admit that sentence is a little convoluted. But, hey, we all have our moments.

I was merely trying to interpret the article (here.) It was referring to women who are more fertile than others, and the effect that had on whether the offspring was homosexual.

More 'fertile'? They had litters instead of one? I'll admit, with this terminology and no further explanation, I'm disinclined towards reading your links.

I was trying to not color the article with my own views. Sorry if that disinclined you to reading it.

From the article in question:
Abstract:

The Darwinian paradox of male homosexuality in humans is examined, i.e. if male homosexuality has a genetic component and homosexuals reproduce less than heterosexuals, then why is this trait maintained in the population? In a sample of 98 homosexual and 100 heterosexual men and their relatives (a total of over 4600 individuals), we found that female maternal relatives of homosexuals have higher fecundity than female maternal relatives of heterosexuals and that this difference is not found in female paternal relatives. The study confirms previous reports, in particular that homosexuals have more maternal than paternal male homosexual relatives, that homosexual males are more often later-born than first-born and that they have more older brothers than older sisters. We discuss the findings and their implications for current research on male homosexuality.

I was trying to not color the article with my own views. Sorry if that disinclined you to reading it.

From the article in question:

that homosexual males are more often later-born than first-born and that they have more older brothers than older sisters. We discuss the findings and their implications for current research on male homosexuality.
Edit/Delete Message
Do you notice a problem with the bolded? :cuckoo:

That's true, it hasn't been proven, but the study I linked to gives the indication that genetics plays some role, minor as it may be. More studies are needed, I think, before we can be more sure of that role.

All I contend is, that until it's been proven that genetics plays ANY role, why say it does?

I don't believe it is genetic. I believe it's a sickness, just like Polio, or cancer, and it should be treated. Even it was proven at some point to be genetic, it should still be treated as an illness. People are predisposed to have cancer by a cancer gene, and they're treated for that.

I don't think any of us should be too hard and fast in our opinions about this unless we are medical or psychological professionals.

Anybody with working eyeballs can tell that some people are homosexual by genetic traits. k.d. lange. Lance Bass.

I've known two gay men in real life and both of them were raging queens. They couldn't have hid their homosexuality if they tried to.

I've also known many Lesbians and aside from two who were of the k.d lange mode (yes, it's obvious), they were all "life style Lesbians".

Anyone who has ever met a true homosexual cannot doubt that it's genetic. But it's also very, very rare. Much less than the 10% the gay rights lobby likes to spout. It's probably less than 1%.

But I'll leave that argument up to people with the patience to give a shit. I don't care if they're 90% of the population. Just keep it to yourself for cryin' out loud.

Anybody with working eyeballs can tell that some people are homosexual by genetic traits. k.d. lange. Lance Bass.

I've known two gay men in real life and both of them were raging queens. They couldn't have hid their homosexuality if they tried to.

I've also known many Lesbians and aside from two who were of the k.d lange mode (yes, it's obvious), they were all "life style Lesbians".

Anyone who has ever met a true homosexual cannot doubt that it's genetic. But it's also very, very rare. Much less than the 10% the gay rights lobby likes to spout. It's probably less than 1%.

But I'll leave that argument up to people with the patience to give a shit. I don't care if they're 90% of the population. Just keep it to yourself for cryin' out loud.

I won't commit to right or wrong here, but the standard parameters of 'true homosexuality' has been about 2% for many years.

No, I don't notice a problem with the bolded part of your quote. Is there something I'm missing?

All I contend is, that until it's been proven that genetics plays ANY role, why say it does?

I don't believe it is genetic. I believe it's a sickness, just like Polio, or cancer, and it should be treated. Even it was proven at some point to be genetic, it should still be treated as an illness. People are predisposed to have cancer by a cancer gene, and they're treated for that.

I wouldn't classify homosexuality as a sickness per se... the actions of a homosexual will determine whether or not they live to be 45 or 95, not the fact that they simply are a homosexual.

No, I don't notice a problem with the bolded part of your quote. Is there something I'm missing?

I wouldn't classify homosexuality as a sickness per se... the actions of a homosexual will determine whether or not they live to be 45 or 95, not the fact that they simply are a homosexual.

Yes, there is something you are missing. However, I doubt any explanation will help you.

*Laughs* Oh my high-school English professor would kill me right now. I'd be smited right on the spot. Thanks for enlightening me about that.

Let me be more specific, "mental illness". For a man to be sexually attracted to another male is unnatural. 180 degrees out of phase if you will. And for this person to act out these attractions to actually engaging in physical sex with another man is a choice. They have made a conscious decision to carry out this behavior in spite of knowing it's wrong displaying a lack of will power, instead of seeking out help, of which there is more and more every year with continued and increasing records of success.

*Laughs* Oh my high-school English professor would kill me right now. I'd be smited right on the spot. Thanks for enlightening me about that.

Lots of people say that. Why I don't know. I've said it a few times myself only to be corrected.

And if it turns out to be genetic and untreatable?

I believe it's saying that a higher percentage of homosexual males are the younger/youngest brother of several brothers as opposed to several sisters or as opposed to being the eldest of several siblings.

Let me be more specific, "mental illness". For a man to be sexually attracted to another male is unnatural. 180 degrees out of phase if you will. And for this person to act out these attractions to actually engaging in physical sex with another man is a choice. They have made a conscious decision to carry out this behavior in spite of knowing it's wrong displaying a lack of will power, instead of seeking out help, of which there is more and more every year with continued and increasing records of success.

I'll be honest and say that I disagree with that idea that homosexuality is a mental illness (since, alone, it has no direct impact upon a person's social interaction and does not directly cause a person to be self-mutilating.) And I'm also of the opinion that everything that humans do is, by the fact that humans are doing it, natural. Though perhaps I'm looking at 'natural' using a different context.

I believe it's saying that a higher percentage of homosexual males are the younger/youngest brother of several brothers as opposed to several sisters or as opposed to being the eldest of several siblings.

LOL! I KNOW you Know better. Give me a break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back