If all the cars in the US were EV's how much load would that put on the grid?

First, we'll need an electric grid that can handle our current loading ... without many EVs ... PG&E is just the worst offender, as demonstrated in Texas this past winter ... with proper maintenance, our current grid should be able to deliver ... but maintenance funds are being distributed to shareholders as dividends and the routine maintenance is being "deferred" ... PG&E declared in bankruptcy court (or maybe it was in Federal criminal court) that it would cost them $150 billion to repair their system, and that's only covers half of California ... what will it cost to repair the entire nation's grid? ...

The good news is that compared to the cost of building molten sodium nuclear reactors, doubling our grid's capacity is chump change ... nevermind the inconvenience of spilling this molten sodium into a river or lake ...

Are fossil fuels easier to find today than 50 years ago? ... are they cheaper to extract as time rolls along? ... call me a Carter Democrat if you want, but I do think conservation is the best solution ... ditch your A/C, that's a luxury we can all do without ...

There are MANY power losses that occur when charging and EV from the grid. The meter turns more than 33kwh when you store 33kwh in the battery pack.
There has to be higher flow of voltage to charge the batteries, your alternator that charges your battery charges at 14 volts instead of 12 volts.
You are on the wrong track, you don't understand kwh
I must since I worked in the field for many years in the military and industries doing electrical and electronics work.
If an EV pack is 500 volts, the charging voltage only needs to be higher than 500 volts. Not 33kwh.

First, we'll need an electric grid that can handle our current loading ... without many EVs ... PG&E is just the worst offender, as demonstrated in Texas this past winter ... with proper maintenance, our current grid should be able to deliver ... but maintenance funds are being distributed to shareholders as dividends and the routine maintenance is being "deferred" ... PG&E declared in bankruptcy court (or maybe it was in Federal criminal court) that it would cost them $150 billion to repair their system, and that's only covers half of California ... what will it cost to repair the entire nation's grid? ...

The good news is that compared to the cost of building molten sodium nuclear reactors, doubling our grid's capacity is chump change ... nevermind the inconvenience of spilling this molten sodium into a river or lake ...

Are fossil fuels easier to find today than 50 years ago? ... are they cheaper to extract as time rolls along? ... call me a Carter Democrat if you want, but I do think conservation is the best solution ... ditch your A/C, that's a luxury we can all do without ...
I agree for the most part although I'm not convinced that nuclear isn't our best option. As for ditching AC's that easy for you say living the the NW.

But you bring up an excellent point about supply availability. Unconventional reservoirs have greatly extended peak oil but it's still not infinite. Natural gas has never been widely used as a fuel for transportation but it could be which would further extend our ability to use fossil fuels for transportation. With that said, the switch to EV's will happen organically eventually. The question is is it the right decision to force markets to do so now based upon the nebulous concept of man made induced global warming.

There are MANY power losses that occur when charging and EV from the grid. The meter turns more than 33kwh when you store 33kwh in the battery pack.
There has to be higher flow of voltage to charge the batteries, your alternator that charges your battery charges at 14 volts instead of 12 volts.
I must since I worked in the field for many years in the military and industries doing electrical and electronics work.
If an EV pack is 500 volts, the charging voltage only needs to be higher than 500 volts. Not 33kwh.
I never said a damn thing about kilowatt hours, you did.

I never said a damn thing about kilowatt hours, you did.
Post 33

I live in CA where we have rolling blackouts just from people using their air conditioning. I can see the inevitable mess we are looking at when we try plugging in a bunch more EVs. If we can't figure out how to have a reliable grid to support our day to day consumption now, I don't want to see how it handles masses of EVs...
It is why we need to upgrade the grid and implement more eco-friendly mass storage.

I live in CA where we have rolling blackouts just from people using their air conditioning. I can see the inevitable mess we are looking at when we try plugging in a bunch more EVs. If we can't figure out how to have a reliable grid to support our day to day consumption now, I don't want to see how it handles masses of EVs...
It is why we need to upgrade the grid and implement more eco-friendly mass storage.
The problem with upgrading the grid is that the people who upgrade the grid are the same ones who can't keep our lights on now. They love to talk about green this and eco friendly that, but they don't know how to do anything besides tax and spend.

The problem with upgrading the grid is that the people who upgrade the grid are the same ones who can't keep our lights on now. They love to talk about green this and eco friendly that, but they don't know how to do anything besides tax and spend.
That is why it is a public sector obligation and the physical layer should be built and maintained by the public sector.

About 30% more, and if we had the growth rate from 1960 to 2000, that would take about 6.5 years;

Not that simple. Your neighborhood electrical system may not have been designed to move that many extra electrons into every home, particularly when most people would be charging simultaneously. You would have to have a practical way to keep everybody charged without overloading any part of the system. In addition, most older homes do not have garages and most household seem to have multiple cars so you would have to deal with those practicalities as well. Sure these things can be sorted in time, but they won't be sorted in the 10 years we alleged have left to turn to the tide. Hell, a lot of these problems won't be sorted in ten decades.

How many electrons does a residential house with 3k square feet use?

We have 5 computers, central air, and 3 portable ac's in our house and we test the limits of our circuit. Add a heater to the mix and circuits blow. No way we could afford to add a car charger.

That is why it is a public sector obligation and the physical layer should be built and maintained by the public sector.
Is it working out now?

About 30% more, and if we had the growth rate from 1960 to 2000, that would take about 6.5 years;

Not that simple. Your neighborhood electrical system may not have been designed to move that many extra electrons into every home, particularly when most people would be charging simultaneously. You would have to have a practical way to keep everybody charged without overloading any part of the system. In addition, most older homes do not have garages and most household seem to have multiple cars so you would have to deal with those practicalities as well. Sure these things can be sorted in time, but they won't be sorted in the 10 years we alleged have left to turn to the tide. Hell, a lot of these problems won't be sorted in ten decades.

We have 5 computers, central air, and 3 portable ac's in our house and we test the limits of our circuit. Add a heater to the mix and circuits blow. No way we could afford to add a car charger.

I suggest a hybrid then.

Is it working out now?
With essential services?

Have an electrician add a 100 amp circuit.

I suggest a hybrid then.

The hybrid that you would have that doesn't need a charging cord is pure fossil fuel. Not an EV like this thread is about.

A couple of things here. First, we are going to have to change our grid to a distributed grid instead of a point source grid, no matter what. Already here in Portland PGE is beginning to experiment with a VPP. Second, ten decades? Really, you need to rethink that. In 1921 over much of the nations transportation was still powered by horses. There was little to no electricity in rural areas. The first phone I ever used, 1948, was hanging on a wall in a wooden box with a speaker sticking out the front, and a bell shaped ear phone with a cord hanging on the side. And today, change moves about 3 times as fast. As the VPP's prove their worth, you will see a very rapid change in the grid and how utilities use it.

Solar cells were invented before the civil war. Yes 10 decades.

And the 2000 year old Antikythera mechanism, is a basic computer. So why are you using a computer?

Because unlike wind and solar, my computer works.

Forum List

Back