I say MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!! You got a problem with that?

Re Christmas, check all statements that apply to you:

• Christmas is Christmas. Celebrate it!!!

Votes: 18 62.1%
  • Happy Holidays is more considerate of the feelings of others.

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Put Christmas (and other religious festivals) back into the schools.

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Keep Christmas (and other religious festivals) out of the schools.

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Only secular Christmas observances are P.C.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Each community should practice their own chosen Christmas customs.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Other and I'll explain in my post.

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters
Are you offended that an elementary school has a "Holiday Party" on December 22nd?

Not in the least. I am offended, however, when school children are denied the fun and joy of celebrating Christmas on December 22 when they want to do that.

If the school chooses to restrict celebrations, isn't that their right?

However, I doubt that there are many cases where a child wants to celebrate over and above the holiday party which they are given.

why are christians so quick to play the victim card......you are the majority .....its not like you ever let anyone forget that...now is it?

As far as I see it, the only people who are offended by anything are those people who are offended that the cashier at Walmart said "Happy Holidays" to them.

I have no problem with it.

And I would hope that you would not be offended by someone who says "Happy Holidays" to you.

I am not the least bit offended by somebody greeting me with Happy Holidays or Happy Hanukkah or any other greeting that is actually a greeting. I just don't understand why all the other greetings are okay but saying Merry Christmas and celebrating Christmas as Christmas should be offensive to anybody.

And so far nobody seems to want to deal with that but are dancing all around it with all sorts of other stuff.

Would you say Merry Christmas to a Jew? And if so, why?

Many and I mean many say Merry Christmas to Jews because it is a Christian Holiday.
Many Jews say Happy Hanukkah to Christians because it is their religious holiday.

And you're advocating that we go back to we Christians subjecting non-Christians to our holidays in the schools.

Which is why "holiday decorations" in school would be the way to go...it includes everyone's holiday. Snow flakes and snow men.... ginger bread houses and holly...a constructions pater chain and a string of lights.....

I dont have an issue with any of that kind of stuff in schools. Now if they want to put up a nativity scene...and i have a problem with that. Same way i will have a problem with a menorah or some kid on a prayer mat.

The kids in a classroom want to make a paper mache nativity scene. The teacher asks if everybody wants to do that and all do. Would you have a problem with that?

I agree it would be inappropriate for the school itself to put up a nativity scene, but why shouldn't there be a Christmas tree called a CHRISTMAS tree (all caps for emphasis bones) complete with lights, tinsel, ornaments, and a star on top even though that star symbolizes the star of Bethlehem for the Christians and is just a star to everybody else? It is a national holiday and has been since 1870 with Christmas being celebrated in schools long before that.

Why should public school students be denied the ability to learn and experience all the magnificent traditional Christmas music over the ages even though some of it is based on religious themes? None of that should be taught as theology of course in the public schools, but to learn and perform the music itself? To me it is ridiculous to deny all the students, Christian and non Christian alike, that wonderful experience.

Christmas is a national holiday and should be celebrated as Christmas and not be required to be transformed into something else. I do not understand why Christmas should be offensive to anybody.

Yes i would have a problem with nativity crafts on several levels. The teacher should lead a class and not follow for one. Second it is not the right place for it.

Its not 1870 any more so the ideas of 1870 are a bit out of date. We have become a bit more all inclusive since then.

I would have no problem with a holiday tree decorated with anything and everything so long as it was secular and not religious. A tree with lights, crafts kids made in class so long as it did not reflect any religious images.

If parents want their children to experience a magnificent traditional christmas then they can do that at home... at church or send their children to private religious schools.

Christmas is not offensive. Public school is just not the place for religious...anything.

why are christians so quick to play the victim card......you are the majority .....its not like you ever let anyone forget that...now is it?

As far as I see it, the only people who are offended by anything are those people who are offended that the cashier at Walmart said "Happy Holidays" to them.

Well a lot of people have apparently been offended by this thread. I have the neg rep, slurs, hateful PMs, and derogatory inferences and statements to prove it. :)

I am not offended at all by a "Happy Holidays" from the cashier at Wal-mart. I AM offended when the cashier is not ALLOWED (all caps for emphasis bones) to return my MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Naw our local television stations, radio, and newspapers provide the testimony for all the components of the "Christmas wars". This year has been no exception.

Which is why "holiday decorations" in school would be the way to go...it includes everyone's holiday. Snow flakes and snow men.... ginger bread houses and holly...a constructions pater chain and a string of lights.....

I dont have an issue with any of that kind of stuff in schools. Now if they want to put up a nativity scene...and i have a problem with that. Same way i will have a problem with a menorah or some kid on a prayer mat.

The kids in a classroom want to make a paper mache nativity scene. The teacher asks if everybody wants to do that and all do. Would you have a problem with that?

I agree it would be inappropriate for the school itself to put up a nativity scene, but why shouldn't there be a Christmas tree called a CHRISTMAS tree (all caps for emphasis bones) complete with lights, tinsel, ornaments, and a star on top even though that star symbolizes the star of Bethlehem for the Christians and is just a star to everybody else? It is a national holiday and has been since 1870 with Christmas being celebrated in schools long before that.

Why should public school students be denied the ability to learn and experience all the magnificent traditional Christmas music over the ages even though some of it is based on religious themes? None of that should be taught as theology of course in the public schools, but to learn and perform the music itself? To me it is ridiculous to deny all the students, Christian and non Christian alike, that wonderful experience.

Christmas is a national holiday and should be celebrated as Christmas and not be required to be transformed into something else. I do not understand why Christmas should be offensive to anybody.

Yes i would have a problem with nativity crafts on several levels. The teacher should lead a class and not follow for one. Second it is not the right place for it.

Its not 1870 any more so the ideas of 1870 are a bit out of date. We have become a bit more all inclusive since then.

I would have no problem with a holiday tree decorated with anything and everything so long as it was secular and not religious. A tree with lights, crafts kids made in class so long as it did not reflect any religious images.

If parents want their children to experience a magnificent traditional christmas then they can do that at home... at church or send their children to private religious schools.

Christmas is not offensive. Public school is just not the place for religious...anything.

School is about teaching.
Secularism is about intolerance to religions. If schools don't teach all of the differences of our religions, it causes the rumors and lies that are spread about the different religions.
Our schools use to teach about the differences of the religions. (1970's not 1870's)
We use to have inclusion of the different types.
If you are atheist you celebrate with love of family, and teach you children at home that there is no God. But Atheists as a minority do not have the right to shut up religious believes. That is not freedom it is tyranny.
Teaching about the different types of religions helps our children to learn about the differences in our nation. It causes no one to become a Jew or a Muslim or a Christan.

But you don't see it coercive and indoctrination to deny a school child the right to create a Christmas 'craft' of his/her choice that did reflect a religious image important to him/her? A manger scene? The three wisemen? A shepherd with his sheep? You would deny that child the right to put his image on that Christmas tree? The children should be told that their concept of Christmas will not be allowed in the school through that manger scene or anything else?

Why?

My sentiment:

"Who gives a fuck?" wasn't an option.

I am so sick of people using Christmas to try and drive a wedge between people (regardless of side, and frankly, the pro-Christmas people are much better at it).

It's deliciously ironic.

When I was growing up there were a lot of Jewish owned stores in our town. Their signs said, 'Merry Xmas.' My mother wouldn't shop those stores. I didn't really understand why at the time.

There actually is some disagreement about the appropriateness of this from a religious standpoint. If Christmas has gotten too commercial and out of hand, then it is the fault of those who have allowed it to happen.

As to saying, "Merry Christmas" I say it to people and they say it to me. But I do have a few Jewish patients and I say 'Happy Hanukkah' to them. Sometime I just say 'have a great holiday.' I've had no complaints filed on me.

My sentiment:

I am so sick of people using Christmas to try and drive a wedge between people (regardless of side, and frankly, the pro-Christmas people are much better at it).

It's deliciously ironic.

Really? You don't give a fuck but you posted in the thread. So apparently you do give a fuck or you wouldn't have bothered. Funny how that works.

But the pro-Christmas people are really driving the wedge between people? Do you really believe that? Which of those pro-Christmas people REQUIRE anybody else to celebrate Christmas as they celebrate it? If the anti-Christmas people had just stayed out of it, and let Americans celebrate Christmas as they have for generation after generation, do you think we would be having this dicussion now?

My sentiment:

It's deliciously ironic.

Really? You don't give a fuck but you posted in the thread. So apparently you do give a fuck or you wouldn't have bothered. Funny how that works.

But the pro-Christmas people are really driving the wedge between people? Do you really believe that? Which of those pro-Christmas people REQUIRE anybody else to celebrate Christmas as they celebrate it? If the anti-Christmas people had just stayed out of it, and let Americans celebrate Christmas as they have for generation after generation, do you think we would be having this dicussion now?

You misread my statement. I don't "give a fuck" that some people choose to become histrionic about this situation. I will continue to comment about things on a message board that I find mildly entertaining. I know, it's a radical notion.

As for the rest: I really don't give a fuck.

If you want to continue to be a dupe and listen to the "War on Christmas" clowns and buy their crap that reinforces your own innate paranoia, then go for it.

Forum List

Back