I Remember When

Robo

Rookie
Mar 6, 2017
I'm 80 years old and I remember when America's healthcare was the envy of the world. Rich folks and folks well off could pay most of their healthcare cost out of pocket, prices were reasonable. Folks less well off and the middle class could afford health insurance and charities, hospitals and doctors donated and volunteered to free and low cost clinics for the poor folks. Everything worked really well then along came the federal government and invented first Medicare then later Medicaid and America's healthcare system has been on a downhill run ever since. The more the feds screw with healthcare the worse it gets! I have no faith that Republicans will fix anything. Whatever they do it will be Obamacare revisited.

I think both major political parties really want a Single Payer system and they're torturing Americans into agreement to end up like the Europeans waiting in long lines to get critical operations.

Welcome to the board Robo.

I recall those days, mainly from old movies. My idea of healthcare reform has never gone beyond providing scholarships for medical students in return for service in free clinics. And I guess the talk of tort reform has permanently gone by the wayside. It has been years since I last heard serious discussion about its use in reducing medical costs.

I'm 80 years old and I remember when America's healthcare was the envy of the world. Rich folks and folks well off could pay most of their healthcare cost out of pocket, prices were reasonable. Folks less well off and the middle class could afford health insurance and charities, hospitals and doctors donated and volunteered to free and low cost clinics for the poor folks. Everything worked really well then along came the federal government and invented first Medicare then later Medicaid and America's healthcare system has been on a downhill run ever since. The more the feds screw with healthcare the worse it gets! I have no faith that Republicans will fix anything. Whatever they do it will be Obamacare revisited.

I think both major political parties really want a Single Payer system and they're torturing Americans into agreement to end up like the Europeans waiting in long lines to get critical operations.

Once The Federal Government allowed Health Care to become "FOR PROFIT" it's been jacked up ever since.

Want to see single payer in action go to the VA.

Before the government started taxing people when they earned an income, people were able to keep more of their money and afford the local doctor. But then in came liberals and started realizing that to get income tax, was a great way of revenue, so kept it long after it was promised to go away. So businesses offered great healthcare benefits because they wanted the best employees to work for them, making their companies great. Those that didn't work, didn't get a healthcare, so incomes the liberals again and starts fucking up the working peoples healthcare so the poor can then FEEL equal as their healthcare still sucks. So With Obummbercare, we see the fucking of US citizens by making everyone equal in healthcare. Everyone is equally healthcare poor and healthcare miserable. That is liberal FAIRNESS.

democrats-spreading-the-misery-equally-battaile-politics-1350557901.jpg

Once The Federal Government allowed Health Care to become "FOR PROFIT" it's been jacked up ever since.
You don't think people in business should make a profit? Don't they call the communism?

In those days and I remember them, people did not look at medical care as an opportunity to win tort lotto. Once lawyers discovered medical malpractice helping became too risky.

Welcome to the board Robo.

I recall those days, mainly from old movies. My idea of healthcare reform has never gone beyond providing scholarships for medical students in return for service in free clinics. And I guess the talk of tort reform has permanently gone by the wayside. It has been years since I last heard serious discussion about its use in reducing medical costs.
Tort reform is a pipe dream unless medical reviewers get rid of bad or incompetent doctors and attorneys that are willing to protect them. A dr. named Cutler butchered and maimed hundreds of people and the medical board in the state where he was wouldn't do crap to him. On the other hand a young dr we knew was crucified for being naive enough to trust the advice of an older dr trying to save his own ass when complaints were filed against the hospital where they both had patients. The difference between the young and old guy is the young one had his own office and he would see anyone regardless of whether they could pay or not.

I think you're right that the inevitable course will be to a Single Payer system. At the same time Medicare and Medicaid were implemented, though, other factors were at work and the advancement of medicine was making it necessary to open medical care to the less fortunate. It is actually an investment if it is done right.

When did doctors work for free?

Are you daft?

Health Care was exclusively Non Profit, and there was plenty of money to build hospitals and to pay Drs and Nurses and do medical research.

Now HMOs and Health Insurance companies are building Glass & Chrome Skyscrapers, Paying themselves huge bonuses, and impoverishing patients who need medical care.

I bet you remember doctors making house calls
Yeah and your kids could go around without being molested by some liberal child molester. Thanks liberalism again saying it is inhumane to keep child molesters in jail for too long, because molesters have rights also. Yeah before liberalism got out of the insane asylums, the US was a better place.

I think you're right that the inevitable course will be to a Single Payer system. At the same time Medicare and Medicaid were implemented, though, other factors were at work and the advancement of medicine was making it necessary to open medical care to the less fortunate. It is actually an investment if it is done right.
I guess you didn't see what happened in the 2016 elections? The Concerned US citizens who put Trump into office, will not allow the left to move the healthcare system to single payer, for you can bet that they will rise up, like they did with Japan, and make sure the liberals rue the day... You can bet your bottom dollar on that...

Are you daft?

Health Care was exclusively Non Profit, and there was plenty of money to build hospitals and to pay Drs and Nurses and do medical research.

Now HMOs and Health Insurance companies are building Glass & Chrome Skyscrapers, Paying themselves huge bonuses, and impoverishing patients who need medical care.
Health care was never non profit. You are thinking of charity hospitals usually run by some religious organization.

Forum List

Back