I need help! If you BBQ please read this

Boiled meat. Yuck! That ruins all the flavor. All the flavor is sitting there in the water.

i dont know why on gods green earth you would say that

Should You Boil Ribs Before Grilling? | Baby Back Grill

Many people have boiled them first, thinking this is how the ribs get their tenderness. However, the secret to great tender meat is not boiling it, but to cook it slowly and indirect heat. Naturally, if you place your meat straight over a hot flame in a grill it is going to dry it out and make it not as tender as you would like. In our article grilling baby back ribs you will learn the secret to grilling the perfect fall off the bone ribs without sacrificing flavor. It is all about setting up your grill properly – when cooking ribs on the grill you do not want them anywhere near the direct flame. Placing a shallow aluminum pan of water below them will help you to keep them nice and tender.

The main argument against boiling ribs is that this destroys and ruins all flavor. In many regards this is true. And when you think about boiling your pork ribs it seems very silly in comparison – would you boil hamburgers? Would you boil a steak before cooking it? Most likely not. (Well, at least we hope not!)

The reason boiling the pork beforehand is a bad idea is because the water absorbs all the flavor. If you’ve ever made soup, you know that the broth takes the flavor of whatever is in it, be it chicken, vegetables, or other foods you’ve added to the soup. The same thing happens when you boil your pork ribs. The flavor of the pork goes out and the water goes into the meat. Another disadvantage to boiling ribs is that you cannot flavor them with your favorite rib rub prior to cooking them. This greatly takes away much of the wonderful flavor!

What is the best method for cooking ribs on a large webber grill? I am used to a barrel smoker but tomorrow I'm going to attempt a couple slabs on my new webber

Baby back, St. L or spare ribs?
1. Use lump charcoal
2. cook indirectly
3. don't use sauce, use a dry rub
4. Finish in the oven if you want caramelized BBQ sauce.

My Weber smoker

2013_10_16_14_56_43_225Smoker_360x310.jpg

Boiled meat. Yuck! That ruins all the flavor. All the flavor is sitting there in the water.

What do you mean? Boiling meats takes the flavor out of it! All the juices end up in the water.

no it dont when it is marinated in the juices all night

people come from near and far to eat the ribs we make

"No it don't." :rolleyes-41:

What is the best method for cooking ribs on a large webber grill? I am used to a barrel smoker but tomorrow I'm going to attempt a couple slabs on my new webber

Use less coals and spread them around the edges of the bowl
cook the ribs in the center of the rack so they get indirect heat
If you have an oven thermometer use it to monitor the temp of the grill at the grate level and use the vents to control the temperature (open them u a bit to increase heat close them down a bit to decrease)

And watch them like a hawk

What do you mean? Boiling meats takes the flavor out of it! All the juices end up in the water.

no it dont when it is marinated in the juices all night

people come from near and far to eat the ribs we make

"No it don't." :rolleyes-41:
to each their own bitch

the people out here love em

Try the 'Indirect method'

Boil ribs first

Get the coals lit then separate in half. About 20 coal each side. Leave room for a tin pan in the middle of coal rack, loaded with hickory chips and small amount of water. Keep the lid on

Baste in sauce last 45 minutes

Thats my method

-Geaux

I don't like boiling them first because it sucks all the flavor out of them. I bake them in the oven first on the lowest setting, and then I grill them for just a few minutes to give them that "smokey" flavor, since my grill is gas. I also use liquid smoke in the sauce which also gives them a smokey flavor.

I bake them in the oven first

beef jerky beef jerky

--LOL

My Weber smoker

2013_10_16_14_56_43_225Smoker_360x310.jpg
I've smoked chicken & turkey in one of those but haven't had one like that in 20 years. Too small for our needs.

Ribs...dry rub and smoke in a hickory/oak mix for four hours at 225 or when they start to pull back from the bone

BBQ sauce is optional...great ribs don't need it

Low and slow is quite tricky to get right on a kettle-you could try lighting about 20 briquettes and then tip them onto 3/4 of a starter chimney cold coals in two fuel baskets on one side of your grill-put a drip tray full of cold water on opposite side and place racks over water pan-wrapping in foil can help if ribs are cooking too quickly. Stack and rotate ribs if need be-can spray with 50/50 mix apple juice/cider vinegar. Rubs/mops are your choice. Here's a few ideas-good luck!

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Smoked for about 3 hours at 275. Not impressed with the results. May try the boiling method. If that isn't any better next time this grill is history.

Forum List

Back