I miss the old trains.

RandomPoster

Platinum Member
May 22, 2017
America used to make the greatest trains in the world. Those legendary were the first trains anywhere capable or transporting 1 MILLION pounds of American steel, coal, and raw materials at a speed of 80 MPH! 30 tons of coal is all it took to haul hundreds of tons of goods across the country as long as you minimized stopping the train.

I live near a train track and I never see real trains anymore. Back when trains were trains, this is people got to see when they ran to the track to watch the train go by.

th

There are a few historic replicas left.

shay-4-5-11-and-6-bellowing-black-coal-smoke-mark-serfass.jpg

I really like this video here.

When was the last time you saw something like that roll through your town? Here is a video from China, showing an impressive train.

As a matter of national pride, our country should build the biggest, baddest train in the world simply to show we can.

America used to make the greatest trains in the world. Those legendary were the first trains anywhere capable or transporting 1 MILLION pounds of American steel, coal, and raw materials at a speed of 80 MPH! 30 tons of coal is all it took to haul hundreds of tons of goods across the country as long as you minimized stopping the train.

I live near a train track and I never see real trains anymore. Back when trains were trains, this is people got to see when they ran to the track to watch the train go by.

th

When was the last time you saw something like that roll through your town? Here is a video from China, showing an impressive train.

As a matter of national pride, our country should build the biggest, baddest train in the world simply to show we can.

You mean steam trains? I mean they are cool to look at but holy smog Batman.

Here is an absolutely stunning video of an old-fashioned steam train on a scenic passenger route in Germany during the autumn. How would you like to be a passenger on that train?

th

My youngest Grandson loves the trains. Christmas is coming up and Santa will be coming to town on the Fillmore and Western line.

serveimage

serveimage

Fillmore & Western Train Ride Adventures & Movie Productions FWRY

They were really great, except if you were a passenger, you were about as black as the smoke by the time you got off the train. Even with all the windows up.
I want a car like in the Wild Wild West. Or a fleet of them, using the same rail system and stations as disgusting Amtrak, only cleaner and with class. And scenic excursions. I want my own car.

When I was a kid I remember running to an overpass when one of the last of the steam engines came through. All that smoke and noise.

my ReailRoad got rid of the Steamers in the mid 60s or so I am told . I never saw one running of the RailRoad property hauling 'iron ore' . They still exist though as 'junk' or unrestored , unused back in a siding in the West Yard . Pretty neat but no security . Old Cabooses were in regular use and those were built in the 1880s and 1890s. And we had a 'HOG that was used to clear snow but I never seen it run [end of the ERA I guess ] . It was Pushed by a big Steamer and had a ROTARY Plow and plow wings . After that era we went to Ballast Regulator machines that were fitted with big plows and WINGS during winter in the Beautiful UPPER Peninsula of Michigan . In summer the Ballast Regulators would get smaller Plows and Wings for plowing or moving Track BALLAST or rock and gravel . A couple steamers are still use for Excursion down the Beach of Lake Superior and to 'BIG BAY' Michigan' .

The EcoManiacs and nanny state progressives are to blame. First, they claim coal is worse for the environment, yet show no evidence of it. Then they create a situation which hinders the efficiency of steam locomotives. Steam is only inefficient when the train has to stop and restart frequently. They mandate that the large steam trains such as Big Boy have braking systems and stop to drop off their goods instead of simply unhitching the rail cars as they fly by at 80 mph. They should only have to stop to refuel and for maintenance. You could use a series of ramps to stop them. Other than that, all crossings have a sign saying the train CAN NOT stop, so go on tracks at your own risk. Trains are not hard to avoid, simply stay out of their way. The Big Boy train that was recommissioned required all kinds of modifications to its braking system before they would let it go live.

Here is a video of a train with no brakes, which is perfectly safe.

Forum List

Back