I had this old hard drive and I needed a mirror

miketx

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2015
I have several old 20 GB hard drives that were given to me by a friend who takes old PC's apart for the gold, where ever that is in them. He's given me several Dell pc's in various stages of disrepair and I have gotten three to work well. One day I decided to take one of the hard drives apart and look it over. I immediately found a road block. While I have all kinds of tools from the transmission days, I did not have a small enough torx bit to remove the screws from the case. So I thought about it and this punch almost fit in the torx heads:

DSC_2170web.jpg

Next I took a hammer and beat the punch into the torx head and it went in easy and I got them all out. But the little pecker heads thought they were clever hiding one screw under the "do not remove this tag" sticker! ha! I got it apart and it had only two platters so like I said it's an older one. After I looked at it for long enough I sat it down on my desk alongside the other crap that I have piled up like empty tubes of Cortisone, ammo boxes and empty water glasses, and candles and knives and flashlights. You know, must have clutter. So it sat there.

A few days later I needed a mirror and was gonna buy one when I saw the strangest thing! My reflection was looking back at me when I looked at the hard drive! A perfect mirror! I was amazed at why that amazed me because I knew the platters have a mirror polish on them. So now I don't have to spend 6.00 on a mirror, I can use a ruined obsolete HD that once cast 500.00 to see my head. Sight that it is.

DSC_2167ps-web.jpg

Perhaps this will help someone one day needing a mirror, if they aren't a vampire. Can't see their clothes in them either.

Last edited:
I have several old 20 GB hard drives that were given to me by a friend who takes old PC's apart for the gold, where ever that is in them. He's given me several Dell pc's in various stages of disrepair and I have gotten three to work well. One day I decided to take one of the hard drives apart and look it over. I immediately found a road block. While I have all kinds of tools from the transmission days, I did not have a small enough torx bit to remove the screws from the case. So I thought about it and this punch almost fit in the torx heads:

View attachment 297425

Next I took a hammer and beat the punch into the torx head and it went in easy and I got them all out. But the little pecker heads thought they were clever hiding one screw under the "do not remove this tag" sticker! ha! I got it apart and it had only two platters so like I said it's an older one. After I looked at it for long enough I sat it down on my desk alongside the other crap that I have piled up like empty tubes of Cortisone, ammo boxes and empty water glasses, and candles and knives and flashlights. You know, must have clutter. So it sat there.

A few days later I needed a mirror and was gonna buy one when I saw the strangest thing! My reflection was looking back at me when I looked at the hard drive! A perfect mirror! I was amazed at why that amazed me because I knew the platters have a mirror polish on them. So now I don't have to spend 6.00 on a mirror, I can use a ruined obsolete HD that once cast 500.00 to see my head. Sight that it is.

View attachment 297426

Perhaps this will help someone one day needing a mirror, if they aren't a vampire. Can't see their clothes in them either.

I used to take those things apart when I was in the industry, back in the day. You can get a pretty decent Chinese-made precision screwdriver set at Walmart for something like $10. It has a shitload of driver bits, including those tiny torx bits.

bits.jpg

• Banned

View attachment 297425

View attachment 297426

I used to take those things apart when I was in the industry, back in the day. You can get a pretty decent Chinese-made precision screwdriver set at Walmart for something like $10. It has a shitload of driver bits, including those tiny torx bits.

bits.jpg
But beating them off with a hammer makes me feel manly.

View attachment 297425

View attachment 297426

bits.jpg

I've done that before too, or. even shot them full of holes. They're fun to connect to a power supply, let them spin up, then whack them hard on the bench until they start screeching and coming apart inside...

• Banned

View attachment 297425

View attachment 297426

bits.jpg

I've done that before too, or. even shot them full of holes. They're fun to connect to a power supply, let them spin up, then whack them hard on the bench until they start screeching and coming apart inside...

I shot a printer once. Damn thing needed killing.

I have also taken HD's apart. A bit of necessity is the mother of invention and wtf can I do with this goes a long ways. Last one I did I saw a mess of parts would be cool in "steampunk" regalia :eek2yum:

If you keep the 56k modems, you'll be abe to communicate after the shtf. And without a phone company. Just keep em in a faraday cage in case the shtf because solar flare or something. You can also tinker with your old jeep and make it emp proof. Only need a few modifications.

f9e.gif

Forum List

Back