I got it!! I got it!!!

I still haven't read 6 but I know kinda what happenes, but im confused because a lot people ive talked to say that Dumbledore isn't dead?!? Is book 7 on audio book as well too?

They put out the audio at the same time as the book thankfully. I sent it to my oldest for his 16th birthday gift.

I'm not going to spoil it for anyone but I have to say I LOVE IT!!!!

FINISHED!

I loved it. Can't wait for others to finish so we can talk about it!

I'm not a big fan of fantasy, (I suppose after all these years that's clear enough), however I do assign summer reading and the RL required must be 7 or above. ;)

I'm currently in my third and hopefully last email go round with a student. They know that if they argue logically I can often be persuaded, especially with an assignment that isn't for 'a big grade', like summer reading.

They had to read two books, one April Morning, which we will be using for both reading and social studies at the beginning for the year. The second was their 'choice', as long as the RL was 7 or above:

First go round:
Ms. D.
Hi, Ms. D! This is N. How is your summer. Mine is good. Anyway, about the book reports, do you remember how you said that we didn't have to read a book off the list? Well, I started reading a book off the list, and I'm not really enjoying it. I'm about to buy Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and I am the biggest Harry Potter fan in the world, so, can I read that for the book report? If so, do I have to tell the ending, because it might be a spoiler. It might take until the end of summer, but at least I'll know and really enjoy the book, so? Please respond urgently, thanks!

My first response:

Hi N,
Summer is going great, I'm glad you are enjoying yours. You know me pretty well and usually I'd have a hard time saying, "No" to a book, but I know you're going to read Harry Potter and the reading level is a bit too easy.

You have time to change books, one I might suggest is new and has gotten great reviews, The Dangerous Book for Boys. You might like it for the simple reason some of the things should be interesting to you and you can skip or list the ones you don't.

http://www.amazon.com/Dangerous-Book-Boys-Conn-Iggulden/dp/0061243582&tag=ff0d01-20

Sort of in the realm of Harry Potter, but with a bit more a upper grade reading level would be, The Lord of the Rings.

http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-J-...&s=books&qid=1185050575&sr=1-13&tag=ff0d01-20

You can easily find Tolkien books in the library, the Boys book though is new. I hope that helps and I'll be seeing you in just a few weeks!

Now for 'the logical argument':

Ms, D,
Harry Potter is a very good book (although I haven't read the new one yet) I just purchased it. I was just thinking that I got a B in reading last year and reading level might not be as high as you think. I enjoy the Harry Potter books, and this way, I will know exactly what I'm reading and improve my reading grades. I also read the Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien and it wasn't a very entertaining book to me. I fell asleep a few times to be honest. But, not trying to be rude here, but isn't the point of this assignment to inpire me to read? I practically already have a speech because I am so inspired to read it. Either way, I plan on reading this book over the summer, and I will start after this email. So, please take this into concideration, because I'm not the greatest reader and the last 3 Harry Potter books 4,5,and 6 were all level 8 and this is supposed to be 9. I just don't get how a small 169 page book be my level. Harry Potter is a veryh enjoyable series and I think that if I could use this for a book report, I'd ace it. It is a 759 page book that I am going to start reading right now. Thanks for listening and please take this letter into great concideration.

I don't think he understood the reading level! :lol: But his arguments are made with passion. So I offered him an explanation and deal:

Hi Again N,
Seems you should really look into law for a profession. Harry Potter is at a 4th-5th grade reading level, (that doesn't mean interest, it has to do with vocabulary, length of words, sentence/paragraph complexity).

Here's the counter offer. I wrote I knew you'd read Harry Potter, (you or your mom/dad ran out and got it. ;) I also went and bought a copy for my daughter, you know, the one that did music classes? She's not a 'little kid' either, like you she just loves the series. Summer reading is to encourage reading, but also to read some books that you may not have picked up before.

Since you seem so excited about the new Harry Potter, I'll let you present your project on that. Since the reading level there is not what I would normally would care for, write up 3/4-1 page summary on April Morning, which you need to read anyways. It doesn't have to be detailed, just tell me something about the main characters, how the book is structured, (time frame).

Deal? If so, enjoy Harry Potter and I'll see you in a few weeks.

Ms. D.

I'm hoping this will be the end of that. :eusa_pray:

Seems to have worked!

Thank you for your offer Ms. D. I'm already past 100 pages and in chapter 6, almost at 7. Thank you and I'll try my hardest not to disappoint you.

My reply:

I'm glad you are reading and working on your 'sales pitch'. Just remember to get the April Morningsummary done also. Enjoy!

I finished it about 2 hours ago. I loved every minute of it. Should we chat about it here or start a spoilers thread?

I must say... It was by far the best IMHO

Forum List

Back