I did not order a Yubico security key

Reminds me of that Sopranos episode where Tony fills a box with sand and asks his feckless neighbor to 'hold on to this for me.' lol

Its called "brushing." if you did not order it, you can keep it :)

I got a weird one -- a package from Amazon that I certainly did not order. Not a mis-delivery. It was addressed to me.

USPS, the shipper, said this happens occasionally, Amazon will do nothing about it. It's happened to at least one other person in my small town.

After doing my due diligence to try to figure it out, I opened it out of curiosity -- It was two huge spools of wire for electric fencing!

I posted a note on our local FB page, figuring there might be a farmer interested in acquiring it, and it was snapped up in about two minutes! Living among a lot of farmers is sometimes interesting! There's never a shortage of folks who want to come and help me clean up my garden at the end of the season, and haul away the leavings to feed their critters!

But I got an email from UPS saying that one is being delivered to me and the tracking seems to indicate that it's half way to my house. I'm assuming that's what it is since it sys it's from Yubico Inc.

I see no charges on any of my cards either.

Only thing I've done recently is cancel an order I made on eBay. It was some lap joint exhaust clamps that were the wrong size. Pretty sure it was an Asian seller. Not that there's anthing wrong with that.

I'm just gonna shoot it when it comes.

Probably some kind of phishing trick?
I heard they give them away free when you order a Left Nasal Inhaler With The Missouri State Motto engraved on the bottom from Amazon.

So this came today. It's a BoA one. So it's legit. Could just be a backup one, though. I dunno. I just glanced at the packaging and threw it on the kitchen table for now.

So Dadoalex wins the thread.

OK.

I guess in your world notifications are 100% on time and accurate.
Good for you.

Nope, you were right, so you caught me thinking I knew everything there.

So this came today. It's a BoA one. So it's legit. Could just be a backup one, though. I dunno. I just glanced at the packaging and threw it on the kitchen table for now.

So Dadoalex wins the thread.

Nope, you were right, so you caught me thinking I knew everything there.
ha! I got an empty baggie. That said thank you. Drove me crazy. It did have a return address. That I googled. It was all over the internet. They send little junk gifts out. To make their feedback look good. Tiny junk items. Weird stuff going on out there -these days.

But I got an email from UPS saying that one is being delivered to me and the tracking seems to indicate that it's half way to my house. I'm assuming that's what it is since it sys it's from Yubico Inc.

I see no charges on any of my cards either.

Only thing I've done recently is cancel an order I made on eBay. It was some lap joint exhaust clamps that were the wrong size. Pretty sure it was an Asian seller. Not that there's anthing wrong with that.

I'm just gonna shoot it when it comes.

Probably some kind of phishing trick?
I see stuff like this everyday. Check your credit card. If you have not been billed it's just a scam. Nobody sends merchandise without payment.

Another scam that has been going around a long time is an email from UPS or USPS that says they are holding a package for you but they need your correct address.

The people that do this stuff have nothing but a name and a email address or sometimes just an email address. If they can get your name and home address, it will be added to your profile, that only lacks your birth date and either social security number or driver's license number to be complete. Once they have this information, they will steal your identity, and destroy your credit and you will be hounded by bill collectors for the rest of your life.

I'll probably end up giving Yubico a call and asking how 1- I ended up with one of ther products that I did not order. And 2- how they ended up with my email address and home address to ship it to. And 3 - Since I didn't buy it, who did...and how did they get my physical address to tell them to send it to as well as my email address to send a shipping and tracking confirmation.

That's about all I can do, I suppose.
The free computer scam is not new and it's not used that much because it's expense. Here how it works. Your receive a free computer. You didn't order it and the manufacture doesn't know who did so you decide to keep it and use. Everything goes well for months. You add documents, apps, and connect to the Internet You transfer all documents from the old computer including tax returns, bank statements, and other financial data.

What you don't know is burred in the computer is a backdoor that allows the bad guys to examine everything on your computer, passwords, tax returns, etc. Thus that free computer has cost you your identity.

What I would do is keep the computer, use a format program that will write over every sector on the disk. Update the bios with a fresh copy, install a fresh copy of the operating system, and then add your apps. Or as an alternative sell it and pickup a few bucks.

Forum List

Back