I am right at 66 and virtual leaning of Algebra totally sucks

Picked up printed packets first available yesterday for Grand daughter's freshman classes. She is scheduled for in person, not virtual classes, but due to the large outbreak of Covid locally. They are offering "in person" though not available yet, and virtual on computer.
What should be simple freshman Algebra 1, with packets (problems) only is bizarre. Ok, so I am 66 and haven't sat an algebra or trig class since the early 80s and although used algebra and geometry for work problems at times, always the same type problems that became routine, so you didn't actually think of it as algebra anymore. Not the same as having to be the instructor when there isn't an instructor, supposedly teaching and assisting in day 1 "see dick run level" of algebra 1) because daughter works.
Day one turned out to be factoring, simplifying and solving polynomials with variables involving squares, cubes inside parenthesis and brackets, often with exponents inside and outside the bracketed parenthetical expressions, plus working through a variety of square root problems.
All this was done without a book, as even for the in class learning, the school system has opted to go with the computer based Edmentum math learning courses and does not use a book, indeed no book exists. I know because I looked for it. It is not out there.
Those who opted for virtual classes were issued computers. Those who opted for in person classes got the packets only and not even an access code to use Edmentum computer modules if they were having problems.
It did not go well for either of us, though the answers were attained, with the help over the phone of my twins, far more recently out of college. I feel like somebody beat the crap out of me with an algebra book, then took it with them to hide the evidence. If this is day one, they should be into non-linear quadratics before Halloween.
I did go over to the high school this afternoon hunting a book. Met a guy with 3 degrees. Turned out it was the principal Explained the problem. He said he was a book guy for math also, but that all they had were workbooks as the program is the book and even those workbooks had not been issued yet. He said I might me rusty but hang there. I showed him the day 1 packet and the problems we were working, as I describe above. He took one look, said Oh, Wow! He flipped to make sure it really was day 1 and said "Ut Oh! I see what you mean". Tried to call the coach who is the instructor for the class, but failed. He said there is no way most kids will get anywhere near this far without access and something will have to be done. Wants me to come back tomorrow morning, which I will definitely do. He also said it is not announced, but the "in school kids" will probably be back, actually in school before the end of the month.

Is this how it is for anybody else out there or am I or my local public school system just backward as hell?

My boy's graduating college, but I've been through this, White. I basically went to war with the school board, eventually tangling face to face with Obama's appointee. Respectfully, of course. Long story.

Your girl's probably gonna hit a brick wall, most do.

Here's why - TERC Hands-On Math: The Truth is in The Details

But the good news is that you can save the day.

You're gonna need to be really hands on, man. She's likely only been taught investigative math learning her whole life. That's why they hit the brick wall once they hit high school and start seeing algorithms versus what they are used to with the investigative learning.

I took mine out of the public school system early. Like, as soon as I saw the math he was being taught. You know how a lot of parents say, hey, did your homewark? And then the kid says yeah. Then mom or dad says okay. Well...That's not how I roll. I say, hey, lemme see your books.

I stayed on the S.T.E.M. board for a while longer, though, the science teacher had asked me to sit on it and so I didnlt wanna leave her high and dry like that, she was a nice lady. Used to work for NASA.

Hang in there with it. And good luck. I'll bet this will be the first time she's ever seen a real algorithm.
I will. Pretty stubborn, myself. Hopefully, tomorrow she will get a login, so we have access to the modules themselves. Guy seemed surprised and the 1st day packet. I did not know I was talking to the principal until I got home and described the guy to my daughter. Grand daughter will get through this one way or another. Hope you positive folks are right about online algebra course if we actually get to it.

You might, want to start with the basics.

Start with some timed tests. You know, fifth grade stuff. See if she can do a hundred simple add, subtract, multi/divide type problems in under five. (Memory tests) Double check and make sure she is ready.

Thankfully, my kids school system were still making students do this. . . I was surprised to learn, lots and lots of liberal school districts DO NOT make kids do this, like Natural Citizen has stated.

If a person has to depend on a calculator from 6th-7th grade on to figure out what 6x7 is? They ARE going to have problems. You just can't do each and every single calculation on a machine if you don't even know the basics in your head.

I have seen it in this new generation when some of them work the cash registers. It is some scary stuff.

Picked up printed packets first available yesterday for Grand daughter's freshman classes. She is scheduled for in person, not virtual classes, but due to the large outbreak of Covid locally. They are offering "in person" though not available yet, and virtual on computer.
What should be simple freshman Algebra 1, with packets (problems) only is bizarre. Ok, so I am 66 and haven't sat an algebra or trig class since the early 80s and although used algebra and geometry for work problems at times, always the same type problems that became routine, so you didn't actually think of it as algebra anymore. Not the same as having to be the instructor when there isn't an instructor, supposedly teaching and assisting in day 1 "see dick run level" of algebra 1) because daughter works.
Day one turned out to be factoring, simplifying and solving polynomials with variables involving squares, cubes inside parenthesis and brackets, often with exponents inside and outside the bracketed parenthetical expressions, plus working through a variety of square root problems.
All this was done without a book, as even for the in class learning, the school system has opted to go with the computer based Edmentum math learning courses and does not use a book, indeed no book exists. I know because I looked for it. It is not out there.
Those who opted for virtual classes were issued computers. Those who opted for in person classes got the packets only and not even an access code to use Edmentum computer modules if they were having problems.
It did not go well for either of us, though the answers were attained, with the help over the phone of my twins, far more recently out of college. I feel like somebody beat the crap out of me with an algebra book, then took it with them to hide the evidence. If this is day one, they should be into non-linear quadratics before Halloween.
I did go over to the high school this afternoon hunting a book. Met a guy with 3 degrees. Turned out it was the principal Explained the problem. He said he was a book guy for math also, but that all they had were workbooks as the program is the book and even those workbooks had not been issued yet. He said I might me rusty but hang there. I showed him the day 1 packet and the problems we were working, as I describe above. He took one look, said Oh, Wow! He flipped to make sure it really was day 1 and said "Ut Oh! I see what you mean". Tried to call the coach who is the instructor for the class, but failed. He said there is no way most kids will get anywhere near this far without access and something will have to be done. Wants me to come back tomorrow morning, which I will definitely do. He also said it is not announced, but the "in school kids" will probably be back, actually in school before the end of the month.

Is this how it is for anybody else out there or am I or my local public school system just backward as hell?

My boy's graduating college, but I've been through this, White. I basically went to war with the school board, eventually tangling face to face with Obama's appointee. Respectfully, of course. Long story.

You're gonna need to be really hands on, man. She's likely only been taught investigative math learning her whole life. That's why they hit the brick wall once they hit high school and start seeing algorithms versus what they are used to with the investigative learning.

I took mine out of the public school system early. Like, as soon as I saw the math he was being taught. You know how a lot of parents say, hey, did your homewark? And then the kid says yeah. Then mom or dad says okay. Well...That's not how I roll. I say, hey, lemme see your books.

I stayed on the S.T.E.M. board for a while longer, though, the science teacher had asked me to sit on it and so I didnlt wanna leave her high and dry like that, she was a nice lady. Used to work for NASA.

Hang in there with it. And good luck. I'll bet this will be the first time she's ever seen a real algorithm.
I will. Pretty stubborn, myself. Hopefully, tomorrow she will get a login, so we have access to the modules themselves. Guy seemed surprised and the 1st day packet. I did not know I was talking to the principal until I got home and described the guy to my daughter. Grand daughter will get through this one way or another. Hope you positive folks are right about online algebra course if we actually get to it.

Start with some timed tests. You know, fifth grade stuff. See if she can do a hundred simple add, subtract, multi/divide type problems in under five. (Memory tests) Double check and make sure she is ready.

Thankfully, my kids school system were still making students do this. . . I was surprised to learn, lots and lots of liberal school districts DO NOT make kids do this, like Natural Citizen has stated.

If a person has to depend on a calculator from 6th-7th grade on to figure out what 6x7 is? They ARE going to have problems. You just can't do each and every single calculation on a machine if you don't even know the basics in your head.

I have seen it in this new generation when some of them work the cash registers. It is some scary stuff.
Yes. That will have to be incorporated, as I saw she was not fluid on some very basic things, but had to pause and think before answering.

Yes. That will have to be incorporated, as I saw she was not fluid on some very basic things, but had to pause and think before answering.
Good on you.

You will meet with some resistance. . . but in the end, she will thank you. Higher level math is hard enough w/o having the basics make it harder. You need to have that foundation solid for the heavy lifting.

That is why so many struggle by the time they get to be seniors. . . and when Calculus and college math is mentioned? They all say. . hell naw.

Good luck, have the kid do a math major in college because of your herculian your efforts. . . :113:

My boy's graduating college, but I've been through this, White. I basically went to war with the school board, eventually tangling over face to face with Obama's appointee. Long story.

Your girl's probably gonna ht a brick wall, most do.

You're gonna need to be really hands on, man. She's likely only been taught investigative math learning her whole life. That's why they hit the brick wall once they hit high school.

I took mine out of the public school system early. Like, as soon as I saw the math he was being taught. You know how a lot of parents say, hey, did your homewark? And then the kid says yeah. Then mom or dad says okay. Well...Tht's not how I roll. I say, hey. lemme see your books.

Hang in there with it. And good luck.
" TERC rejects the need for memorization and practice. "

WTF?!

I have so many friends that are single mothers, and once their daughters get to, oh, I don't know, 7th, 8th grade or so, they start struggling something fierce.

Then they start whining about it on FB. I ask. . . does she have her addition, subtraction, multiplication and division table memorized to at least ten?

. . . and I get back, almost defensive hatred. . . no, they never "made them," or encouraged them.

Negligence.

It is sort of like how in the late 40's and early 50's, private schools and upper middle class schools still used phonics, because, duh?

Yet, the urban schools experimented with "see and say," reading methods, and most public schools still use them in combination with phonics.

. . .and folks can't understand why the upper-class has a high tradition and percentage of literacy.

This sounds like a foundation generated plan to undermine math competency of the lower classes.

That stuff was actually donated by the private sector. Mostly the big banks. Future cubicle dwellers answering phones really only need to know how to use a calculator. It's just the reality of things. But, then, it became the benchmark for common core.

And, again, by the time they hit high school, they run into a brick wall if they see an algorithm.

I'd be interested to see what level of problems they are throwing at you in Algebra 1. Have you tried Khan Academy? It's the best I've seen for an online math resource.

I'd be interested to see what level of problems they are throwing at you in Algebra 1. Have you tried Khan Academy? It's the best I've seen for an online math resource.
Algebra 1, Day 1
I do not know how to type superscript for exponents on this message board
Note:Inside the first parenthetical that is (2 + a squared) b3 is b cubed
6a – 4(2 + a2) + b3 when a= -2/3 and b = -2

It gave the first step to simplify
.............Note (-2/3)squared and at the end (-2)cubed
= 6(-2/3) – 4 [2 + (-2/3)2] + (-2)3

we(and I use we loosely) got the answer as -21 7/9. She understood, as I used more intermediate steps than you can imagine, but doubt she could work another like it tomorrow to save her life.

Haven't worked this stuff in years (somewhere around 1984), but this type problem wasn't day 1 first period first hour, even in college algebra and trig, and back then, I had a book with instructions, explanations, examples and guy with a Master's degree in mathematics teaching the class.

Really? That is basic stuff. Algebra 101. Order of operations. I thought kids got into that more around the 7th or 8th grade. If you break it all down into a bunch of little problems by the order of operations, it is easy.

I sucked at algebra and barely got a passing grade in "Beginners Algebra" to complete the math requirements. Fast forward 4 years and I am in tech school and not only do I have to take the real algebra that I avoided in HS but also learn Boolean algebra AND Trigonometry as prerequisites. It's amazing what you can do when properly motivated. It was either that or going back to doing menial labor that barely paid above minimum wage. We started with a class of 28 and only seven of us finished the two and a half year computer science electronics program.

My boy's graduating college, but I've been through this, White. I basically went to war with the school board, eventually tangling over face to face with Obama's appointee. Long story.

Your girl's probably gonna ht a brick wall, most do.

You're gonna need to be really hands on, man. She's likely only been taught investigative math learning her whole life. That's why they hit the brick wall once they hit high school.

I took mine out of the public school system early. Like, as soon as I saw the math he was being taught. You know how a lot of parents say, hey, did your homewark? And then the kid says yeah. Then mom or dad says okay. Well...Tht's not how I roll. I say, hey. lemme see your books.

Hang in there with it. And good luck.
" TERC rejects the need for memorization and practice. "

WTF?!

I have so many friends that are single mothers, and once their daughters get to, oh, I don't know, 7th, 8th grade or so, they start struggling something fierce.

Then they start whining about it on FB. I ask. . . does she have her addition, subtraction, multiplication and division table memorized to at least ten?

. . . and I get back, almost defensive hatred. . . no, they never "made them," or encouraged them.

Negligence.

It is sort of like how in the late 40's and early 50's, private schools and upper middle class schools still used phonics, because, duh?

Yet, the urban schools experimented with "see and say," reading methods, and most public schools still use them in combination with phonics.

. . .and folks can't understand why the upper-class has a high tradition and percentage of literacy.

This sounds like a foundation generated plan to undermine math competency of the lower classes.
1599115115668.png
1599115115668.png

Algebra 1, Day 1

we(and I use we loosely) got the answer as -21 7/9. She understood, as I used more intermediate steps than you can imagine, but doubt she could work another like it tomorrow to save her life.

Haven't worked this stuff in years (somewhere around 1984), but this type problem wasn't day 1 first period first hour, even in college algebra and trig, and back then, I had a book with instructions, explanations, examples and guy with a Master's degree in mathematics teaching the class.
Yeah that's right I got -21 7/9. Not sure why they would throw the fractions and exponents in on day one that's over the top IMO. Like I said, Kahn academy is worth a look for similar type problems.

Algebra 1, Day 1

Here, does this work with your browser / OS / fonts? ¹²³⁴⁵⁶⁷⁸⁹⁰ ... just copy & paste what you need.

6a – 4(2 + a²) + b³

Algebra 1, Day 1

Yeah that's right I got -21 7/9. Not sure why they would throw the fractions and exponents in on day one that's over the top IMO. Like I said, Kahn academy is worth a look for similar type problems.
I thought so, also. In looking on line I used 2 or 3 different sites that had exercises in freshman algebra 1 more suited to how I was sequentially taught in class room Alg 1, 2 in highschool back in the 70s and college Alg/trig in the early 80s.

Algebra 1, Day 1

Here, does this work with your browser / OS / fonts? ¹²³⁴⁵⁶⁷⁸⁹⁰ ... just copy & paste what you need.

6a – 4(2 + a²) + b³
That is perfect. Does it work on firefox or do I have to stay microsoft all the way? It was easy in Word, but superscript went away when copying to USMB, where yours did not?

Algebra 1, Day 1

FWIW here is my solution.

6a - 4(2 + a**2) + b**3 a = -2/3 b = -2
6 (-2/3) - 4 (2 + (-2/3)**2) + (-2)**3.

exponent rules in play are:
1. squaring fractions - result is always positive and the exponent goes to both numerator and denominator.
2. cubing numbers the original sign is retained.

Applying those rules and reducing the equation:
-4 -4(2 + 4/9) - 8
-4 - 8 - (16/9) - 8
-12 - 1 7/9 - 8
-21 7/9

Write down the order of operations. Do the problems in this order each time and it will come back easily.

PEDMAS

P=Parenthesis
E=Exponentes
D=Division
M=Multiplication
A=Addition
S=Subtraction

Algebra 1, Day 1

FWIW here is my solution.

6a - 4(2 + a**2) + b**3 a = -2/3 b = -2
6 (-2/3) - 4 (2 + (-2/3)**2) + (-2)**3.

exponent rules in play are:
1. squaring fractions - result is always positive and the exponent goes to both numerator and denominator.
2. cubing numbers the original sign is retained.

Applying those rules and reducing the equation:
-4 -4(2 + 4/9) - 8
-4 - 8 - (16/9) - 8
-12 - 1 7/9 - 8
-21 7/9
Oh, we got it. I simply think it was a leap to expect that level on day 1, with no instruction, no textbook or access to the Edmentum modules available already to those, whose parents chose for their kids to go to virtual instruction instead of in class instruction. I just got back from a meeting at the school. We now have login and password to access. Hopefully I will not be shuffling back and fourth trying to instruct and looking up resources from other open access programs today.

That is perfect. Does it work on firefox or do I have to stay microsoft all the way? It was easy in Word, but superscript went away when copying to USMB, where yours did not?

Not touching anything microsnot. That's just the respective glyphs (not formatting, as in Word) as contained in modern fonts. Start charmap.exe.

Algebra 1, Day 1

I thought so, also. In looking on line I used 2 or 3 different sites that had exercises in freshman algebra 1 more suited to how I was sequentially taught in class room Alg 1, 2 in highschool back in the 70s and college Alg/trig in the early 80s.
Good call. I look at these some of these modern math teaching methods and just shake my head. It looks like the teaching equivalent of a Rube Goldberg machine. :confused-84:

Forum List

Back