How WOKE can you go? Jay Z inducted into the Rock & Roll hall of fame?

They've done this before.

Lika all Halls of Fame they eventually just keep adding people. Etta James comes to mind as a previous one. Great singer, not a rock or pop icon, however.
she is an early influence....
Of what?
singing.....what else?....the woman was an influence on many of the 60's rockers...for instance Ma Rainey was big influence on Joplin...
Janis bought a headstone for Bessie Smith as well.

Apparently the committee forgot this was a ROCK honor and not a BET honor.

Beyond ridiculous that he gets in while real rock artists are passed over year after year.
Aretha Franklin was inducted as well...

In 1987. 34 years ago.

Hardly an issue of being "woke"....

More of an issue of trying to keep... The
Worst (period)
Idea (period)
Ever (period)
Viable; the lights on and the doors open...

Not everything needs a "hall of fame". Music is one of those things.

All those bars and restaurants you love that play 80s music in the background in 20 years will be playing wrap and Taylor swift as throw back to the new 40 year olds with money.

All those bars and restaurants you love that play 80s music in the background in 20 years will be playing wrap and Taylor swift as throw back to the new 40 year olds with money.
Rap has been around for 40 years.

There are no “Oldies Rap” stations
Movie Soundtracks do not have old Rap standards

We still have an Oldies station and when I was growing up it played Doo-wop/Big Band. Now I hear Fleetwood Mac and 80's Madonna when I tune in. What a drag it is getting old. lol

I wouldn't go there if I had free tickets and dinner.
It has always been a joke. It took Bob Segar several decades to get inducted... but Foo Fighters got inducted in one year.
That is all you need to see the RRHOF is absurd.

Let’s be clear... rap/hip hop was 10% of the new music hits and other stuff was 90% over last 40
Years. It has shifted to 70% rap and hip hop 30% other. I am an expert as my 17 year old works hard to find music I can stand and it’s rap hip hop that isn’t overly offensive.. or it’s dirty as hell but has a nice sound. Lol.

Find a teen and have them list their favorite artists. Will make you nervous to go to restaurants in 20 years.

Let’s be clear... rap/hip hop was 10% of the new music hits and other stuff was 90% over last 40
Years. It has shifted to 70% rap and hip hop 30% other. I am an expert as my 17 year old works hard to find music I can stand and it’s rap hip hop that isn’t overly offensive.. or it’s dirty as hell but has a nice sound. Lol.

Find a teen and have them list their favorite artists. Will make you nervous to go to restaurants in 20 years.
I get some good music from my 21 year old daughter, and I have for quite a while now. We travel around Europe to hear concerts, but that has been put on hold. Our last concert before the pandemic was Sam Fender at Club Paradiso in Amsterdam. The Paradiso is one of my favourite venues.

No question it has its following. I just don’t see “legs” in a lasting following.

Those teens and 20s are probably quite familiar with rock staples from 50 years ago. If they don’t know the specific artist, they recognize the song from a modern movie or TV commercial.
I don’t think rap will have that in 50 years.

Forum List

Back