How Trump spent the war years

Republicans leading candidate for President

IT WAS THE spring of 1968, and Donald Trump had it good. He was 21 years old and handsome, with a full head of hair. He'd avoided the Vietnam War draft on his way to earning an Ivy League degree. He was fond of fancy dinners, beautiful women, and outrageous clubs.

Most important, he had a job in his father's real estate company and a brain bursting with moneymaking ideas that would make him a billionaire.

"When I graduated from college, I had a net worth of perhaps $200,000," he said in his 1987 autobiography Trump: The Art of the Deal, written with Tony Schwartz. (That's about $1.4 million in 2015 dollars.) "I had my eye on Manhattan."

More than 8,000 miles away, John McCain sat in a tiny, squalid North Vietnamese prison cell. The Navy pilot's body was broken from a plane crash, starvation, botched operations, and months of torture.

The stark contrast in their fortunes was thrown into sharp relief this month when Trump belittled McCain during a campaign speech in Iowa. "He's not a war hero," Trump said of McCain. "He's a war hero because he was captured. I like people that weren't captured."
Would you make up your mind? You love Trump when he blasts the other GOP candidates. And then you dump on him when he leads in the polls.
Are you off your meds?

Like Reagan once said......here we go again

The Rabbi makes wild claims and then runs away when challenged to support them. This is the point in the thread you get to point out anywhere that I ever supported Trump

Now, watch for The Rabbi two step
Trump should refuse to join the Fox debate US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum
Post #5,
Now it's time for Nutjobber to revert to form, deny he said that, said he was misquoted, claim someone hacked his account, or just ignore the whole issue.

Old lame paradigms are very hard to shake. Serving in the military doesn't give you a permanent free pass. So to hell with that corrupt old fart McCain.

So? Then bring up his political record, not his military service.

Why? He'll just play his Vietnam Card. That's how he's gotten his free pass all these years. But for me, his Vietnam Card no longer plays. He's a corrupt ole coot. Time for him to retire or get the boot. That's how i feel anyway.

IT WAS THE spring of 1968, and Donald Trump had it good. He was 21 years old and handsome, with a full head of hair. He'd avoided the Vietnam War draft on his way to earning an Ivy League degree. He was fond of fancy dinners, beautiful women, and outrageous clubs.

Most important, he had a job in his father's real estate company and a brain bursting with moneymaking ideas that would make him a billionaire.

"When I graduated from college, I had a net worth of perhaps $200,000," he said in his 1987 autobiography Trump: The Art of the Deal, written with Tony Schwartz. (That's about $1.4 million in 2015 dollars.) "I had my eye on Manhattan."

More than 8,000 miles away, John McCain sat in a tiny, squalid North Vietnamese prison cell. The Navy pilot's body was broken from a plane crash, starvation, botched operations, and months of torture.

The stark contrast in their fortunes was thrown into sharp relief this month when Trump belittled McCain during a campaign speech in Iowa. "He's not a war hero," Trump said of McCain. "He's a war hero because he was captured. I like people that weren't captured."
Would you make up your mind? You love Trump when he blasts the other GOP candidates. And then you dump on him when he leads in the polls.
Are you off your meds?

Like Reagan once said......here we go again

The Rabbi makes wild claims and then runs away when challenged to support them. This is the point in the thread you get to point out anywhere that I ever supported Trump

Now, watch for The Rabbi two step

"The Rabbi makes wild claims then runs away when challenged to support them"

:wtf:

"The Rabbi" does that, does he RW? Um...welcome to our world...

Oh, and please spare us the phony compassion for McCain coming from you dishonest hypocrite Democrats. You absolutely savaged the man in the Election. You routinely attacked his family and his military record.

So don't come here pretending to defend him. We know that's just a ploy to destroy Trump and help get one of yours in there. We know what you did to the guy in the past. You don't give a shit about John McCain. Period, end of story.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: kaz

here I thought you were going to say by playing cards with William Jefferson Clinton. Or going to protest America in England. Funny how Clinton not being in Viet Nam isn't a problem for the left, well not all that funny.

Of course it is not a problem

Didn't see Clinton claiming POWs are not heroes .....I do have a problem with the leading Republican candidate thinking so

No he just dodged the draft and said he "loathed" the Military you idjit..... a slap in the face to EVERY veteran

Trump loathes POWs and he is the leading Republican TODAY!

Trumps quote is a week old while Clinton's in 45 years old

So 45 years from now you won't have an issue with Trump's words, got it.

See how silly that sounds?

No he can't. Bubba received deferments and be gladly supported him. Now, he claims that happens along time ago so it doesn't count. What a laugher.

Wow, you must really hate Ted Kennedy. Tell us about that

Did you just say Ted "The Swimmer' Kennedy?

3dvPtQs.jpg

Yes, RW hates Ted Kennedy, he hates everyone who didn't go fight in Vietnam in the 60s. He hates Kerry for applying for purple hearts for band aid wounds, he hates Gore for faking his way through the war with a body guard continent and taking a few photos. You can't even say the word "Clinton" to him or he loses it as Clinton got deferments until the war was over. He's mad at Obama for not going even though he was a kid when it ended. RW is serious about this, he thinks real Americans went over and killed yellow people and didn't make excuses. That's why he's even mad at McCain for being captured, he wasn't killing yellow people sitting out the war. RW hates yellow people. He wants to start the war up again so he can kill more of them.

How many tours did you do in Nam again, RW? I forgot, it was the trick knee that kept you out, right?

All's fair in love & war. You don't get a lifelong free pass just because you served in the military. That old paradigm is dead. If you're a corrupt asshole, you'll be called on it. That's just the way it is. Time for people to deal with that.

All's fair in love & war. You don't get a lifelong free pass just because you served in the military. That old paradigm is dead. If you're a corrupt asshole, you'll be called on it. That's just the way it is. Time for people to deal with that.

In fairness, the lefties don't think everyone who was in the military get a free pass, only Democrats who were in the military

I'm not sure how rightwinger can criticize Trump for dodging the war when he most certainly voted for Bill Clinton who did the same. :eusa_eh:
This is a seperate issue. Bill clinton is a sleaze, no doubt about it. Also a jerk, a rapist. Fill in the blank with you worst excoration on Bill Clinton.

The deal is, Trump, like Clinton, had a bogus deferment, and safe as he was he critisised McCain's service, something Clinton, jerk that he is, has never done.
One can critisize McCain for his policies, as you could critisize McGovern's as well. People who have "seen the elephant" are loathe to sending more kids off to war for some reason. But don't critisize his service.

Oh bullshit.

Trump fought right alongside Obama in Desert Storm. Just ask Hillary, she'd never lie, right libbies?
SNIPS:

Those are all plausible explanations for the unsocialized behavior of a presidential candidate who calls successful men “losers,” routinely describes those more knowledgeable than himself as “stupid,” and whose latest display of tact was to disparage the military record of a genuine American war hero, despite having sought and received five deferments from the Vietnam draft himself.

it is a fact that besides donating money to Hillary Clinton, she was a guest at Trump’s most recent wedding.

Four years ago, Konnikova wrote a piece for a publication called Big Think, postulating that Trump’s perpetual boorishness is attributable to mental illness, specifically a condition called narcissistic personality disorder.

About the author:

Maria Konnikova is not someone Donald Trump would typically describe as “a loser.” Fluent in Russian and English, she writes authoritatively on psychology and culture. Her work has appeared in prestigious publications ranging from The Atlantic to Scientific American. After graduating magna cum laude from Harvard, she received her Ph.D. in psychology from Columbia University.

Why Donald Trump Didn t Run as a Democrat RealClearPolitics

I'm not sure how rightwinger can criticize Trump for dodging the war when he most certainly voted for Bill Clinton who did the same. :eusa_eh:
This is a seperate issue. Bill clinton is a sleaze, no doubt about it. Also a jerk, a rapist. Fill in the blank with you worst excoration on Bill Clinton.

The deal is, Trump, like Clinton, had a bogus deferment, and safe as he was he critisised McCain's service, something Clinton, jerk that he is, has never done.
One can critisize McCain for his policies, as you could critisize McGovern's as well. People who have "seen the elephant" are loathe to sending more kids off to war for some reason. But don't critisize his service.

don't get to give us your failures

they are yours not ours

"I was on my 23rd mission, flying right over the heart of Hanoi in a dive at about 4,500 feet, when a Russian missile the size of a telephone pole came up — the sky was full of them — and blew the right wing off my Skyhawk dive bomber," he wrote in a 1973 account of his ordeal. "It went into an inverted, almost straight-down spin. I pulled the ejection handle, and was knocked unconscious by the force of the ejection."

McCain regained consciousness when his parachute landed him in a lake. The explosion had shattered both arms and one of his legs. With 50 pounds of gear on him and one good limb, he struggled to swim to the surface.

North Vietnamese dragged him to shore. They stripped him to his underwear and began "hollering and screaming and cursing and spitting and kicking at me."

"One of them slammed a rifle butt down on my shoulder, and smashed it pretty badly," he wrote. "Another stuck a bayonet in my foot. The mob was really getting uptight." He was interrogated for four days, losing consciousness as his captors tried to beat information out of him. But he refused.

But Trump prefers the guys who weren't captured as his heroes
Is it possible to respect what McCain did without giving him a lifetime pass to be an idiot. Trump made a terrible comment but McCain has made multiple terrible comments and supported far too many turds coming out of Washington. I respect his service and admire his strength in an unbelievably difficult time. However, he does not receive a a pass from criticism on policy that affects us all. He is a war hero who is a terrible representative.

If Trump wanted to attack McCains record for vets, it is fair game even though McCain has been fighting for vets for 40 years and Trump has been doing it for two weeks

But to sneer at McCains time as a POW as not being worthy of being a hero is unforgivable
I understand the temptation to lump all experiences together when reflecting on a conversation. In our soundbite world, it is easy to pick apart something that was spoken in the heat of the moment. Anytime McCain makes a bonehead statement or supports a bill/person that is controversial, the "War Hero" mantra is turned up to 11. He wears it, whether intentionally or not, as a cloak that makes him immune to criticism. I think Trump was simply tired of stepping on egg shells and made a bonehead comment of his own. I don't even think Trump supports what Trump said.

I do believe that Trump is saying some things that need to be heard. Discounting his views would be a mistake. I also feel he is far too egocentric to be president. Anyone who cares more about their name/legacy has no place in the White House.
John McCain has fought for veterans his whole life. Trump has been doing it for two weeks

That Republucans think Trumpis a better representative of veterans issues is a travesty
McCain has fought for his version of what is best for Veterans. While it is admirable, SO WHAT? That's what he SHOULD be doing. Why does he get a gold star for doing his job? Why is he more revered for that than anybody doing the right thing. When you start to put people on pedestals shots will be taken. Trump took a stupid shot and should be admonished, not trivialized.
As a Senator, McCain fights for what is achievable politically for veterans. He has been at the forefront of every single veterans initiative over the last twenty years

Trump could have picked a better target. There are 99 other senators who do not do as well

What is amazing is that when given the choice of a man who ridicules POWs and a genuine American hero........they side with Trump

Sad commentary on today's Republicans
That's a false comparison. "ridicules POW's"... I'll give you one asshole POW not all POW's. "genuine American Hero"... back to this BS again. His service, sacrifice and bravery does not equal a pass on all future ridicule. He is a terrible Senator. Just because no one gives a crap about the terrible things you may have said in your life, doesn't give you moral authority to condemn anyone else.

McCain's policies (ie. actions since the war) are the equivalent of taking a huge dump on the other veterans of the war. He has been instrumental in changing America for the worse. Not all of his actions have been bad and I'm sure he's a nice guy. However, let's not Saint him just yet...
Trump ridiculed ALL POWs

I like the guys who were not captured does not single out McCain. Implying those who were captured somehow took the easy way out

Where is the Republucan outrage?
That was not his point and you know it. He was comparing two forms of heroism. It was a bad comparison.

I am not constantly perched on a limb waiting to be outraged. I, like many I think, was acutely aware that Trump made a stupid comment. He said something that did not come out the way he meant it. I, like many, will move on...
I think it came out EXACTLY as Trump intended. Like a child, he has to come up with a worse insult when someone insults him

He made it clear who he thinks the real heroes are
I am sad for you :( Processing the world with such finality and certainty is an angry an lonely way to live. It is possible to see the good and bad in a person and/or situation without degrading the "right" point of view.
In this case...there is nothing defensible about Trump

That's a false comparison. "ridicules POW's"... I'll give you one asshole POW not all POW's. "genuine American Hero"... back to this BS again. His service, sacrifice and bravery does not equal a pass on all future ridicule. He is a terrible Senator. Just because no one gives a crap about the terrible things you may have said in your life, doesn't give you moral authority to condemn anyone else.

McCain's policies (ie. actions since the war) are the equivalent of taking a huge dump on the other veterans of the war. He has been instrumental in changing America for the worse. Not all of his actions have been bad and I'm sure he's a nice guy. However, let's not Saint him just yet...
Trump ridiculed ALL POWs

I like the guys who were not captured does not single out McCain. Implying those who were captured somehow took the easy way out

Where is the Republucan outrage?
That was not his point and you know it. He was comparing two forms of heroism. It was a bad comparison.

I am not constantly perched on a limb waiting to be outraged. I, like many I think, was acutely aware that Trump made a stupid comment. He said something that did not come out the way he meant it. I, like many, will move on...
I think it came out EXACTLY as Trump intended. Like a child, he has to come up with a worse insult when someone insults him

He made it clear who he thinks the real heroes are
I am sad for you :( Processing the world with such finality and certainty is an angry an lonely way to live. It is possible to see the good and bad in a person and/or situation without degrading the "right" point of view.
In this case...there is nothing defensible about Trump

Yet Kerry who called the military baby killers and terrorists, that you voted for.

Your indignation is obviously completely fake, big guy. And why weren't you in Vietnam again? That was your age group

Forum List

Back