How the rise of electric cars endangers the ‘last frontier’ of the Philippines

excalibur

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2015
From child labor in the Congo to this. EV's are a bad idea that is wreaking havoc all over the world wherever mining for the minerals needed takes place.

Jeminda Bartolome spends her days at the foot of a lush mountain range tending to her rice paddies. A mother of six, she leads a group of farmers and members of the Indigenous Palawan tribe who believe the crop is endowed with a human soul.

“That,” she said on a recent afternoon pointing toward her farmland, “is our source of livelihood.”

Bartolome, 56, lives in one of the most biodiverse places on earth, a stunning island that draws legions of tourists to its crystal blue waters and pristine nature reserves. But these days, her livelihood, and the ancient rainforest system it depends on, are increasingly under threat.

A nickel mine stretching nearly 4 square miles scars the forest above Bartolome’s farmland. The mine, Rio Tuba, plays a vital role in satisfying the global demand for a mineral more coveted than ever due in part to the explosion of the electric car industry.

The raw nickel dug out of the ground here ends up in the lithium batteries of plug-in vehicles manufactured by Tesla, Toyota and other automakers, according to an NBC News review of company filings and shipping records.

With the demand for nickel skyrocketing, the Rio Tuba mine is now on the brink of expanding deeper into the rainforest, adding almost 10 square miles to its current footprint. Local environmentalists fear that it will wipe out the forest’s fragile ecosystem and increase toxic runoff into the rivers that flow past the farmland down below, jeopardizing the crops.

From child labor in the Congo to this. EV's are a bad idea that is wreaking havoc all over the world wherever mining for the minerals needed takes place.

Jeminda Bartolome spends her days at the foot of a lush mountain range tending to her rice paddies. A mother of six, she leads a group of farmers and members of the Indigenous Palawan tribe who believe the crop is endowed with a human soul.
“That,” she said on a recent afternoon pointing toward her farmland, “is our source of livelihood.”
Bartolome, 56, lives in one of the most biodiverse places on earth, a stunning island that draws legions of tourists to its crystal blue waters and pristine nature reserves. But these days, her livelihood, and the ancient rainforest system it depends on, are increasingly under threat.
A nickel mine stretching nearly 4 square miles scars the forest above Bartolome’s farmland. The mine, Rio Tuba, plays a vital role in satisfying the global demand for a mineral more coveted than ever due in part to the explosion of the electric car industry.
The raw nickel dug out of the ground here ends up in the lithium batteries of plug-in vehicles manufactured by Tesla, Toyota and other automakers, according to an NBC News review of company filings and shipping records.
With the demand for nickel skyrocketing, the Rio Tuba mine is now on the brink of expanding deeper into the rainforest, adding almost 10 square miles to its current footprint. Local environmentalists fear that it will wipe out the forest’s fragile ecosystem and increase toxic runoff into the rivers that flow past the farmland down below, jeopardizing the crops.

My 81 Oldsmobile Sherman Tank laughs at the penisless EV
40 fucking yrs old and I get near 20mpg city for a land yacht

DSCN1409.JPG

The superstars across the street have an EV and a Hybrid...their wifi connection is named.

"Green Dragon Inn."

I have seen them coming home dressed like Bilbo Baggins

I wanna dress up like an Orc and torch their fuckin cars...nerds.

And all of that vegetation that filters our air and lowers the risk of climate change that if ripped out, never to be seen again, is just swept under the rug. Those damn ICE are to blame.

The superstars across the street have an EV and a Hybrid...their wifi connection is named.

"Green Dragon Inn."

I have seen them coming home dressed like Bilbo Baggins

I wanna dress up like an Orc and torch their fuckin cars...nerds.

Perhaps AzogtheDefiler would like to join you. Surely it wouldn't hurt for you to have a genuine Orc along with you on such a mission.

Forcing EVs on Americans is a huge error in thinking...EVs are not ready yet to be the only source of travel....drill baby drill....

New Topics

Forum List

Back