How Restaurants can come back close to full capacity-despite naysayers.

The newer restaurants and tight margin ones might be closed for good, leaving neighborhood restaurants with less competition and thus capable of making up for the % of lost customers who will be too cautious to frequent them.
So as everyone knows, you have to make people feel that it's safe while also maintaining take out and delivery for those who can't take the chance, in order to maintain enough consistant customers to stay open and vibrant.
To do this: besides staff in masks and gloves, safe distance seating would require reservations even at places that normally would not have them. Here's the part where you don't lose 3/4 your customers by spreading them out;
Have abnormal sequence of service hours to accomadate the reservations.
Have them spread out with early bird 3pm meals instead of just 4pm ones, have late meals, spreading out hours so customers realize their typical eating hours will have to be a thing of the past in these creative times if they want safe distanced surroundings.
This requires reservation hosts (who should all have fever readers as their tool for employees and customers to enter), to educate the customers on these odd eating hours as well as Governors and administration educating people on changing their habits until we are safe again. Of course these spread out reserved eating hours along with takeout and delivery will help restaurants weather this storm for another few months. The only issue are places with tight kitchens, that will require staff to be verified tested.

Most people would rather eat at home than eat at a time they aren't accustomed to, be it in the afternoon or late at night.

As far sitting in a hooters with a hood on my head being served by staff who are wearing masks and gloves, I again don't see the point, unless they are going to reduce their prices enough to compete with pizza delivery or cooking your own. Its not hard to stick something in the micro fucking wave.

Thanks for your ideas, but IMHO, this all will pass soon enough. Most joints will just padlock their doors and hope their money can keep them.

The newer restaurants and tight margin ones might be closed for good, leaving neighborhood restaurants with less competition and thus capable of making up for the % of lost customers who will be too cautious to frequent them.
So as everyone knows, you have to make people feel that it's safe while also maintaining take out and delivery for those who can't take the chance, in order to maintain enough consistant customers to stay open and vibrant.
To do this: besides staff in masks and gloves, safe distance seating would require reservations even at places that normally would not have them. Here's the part where you don't lose 3/4 your customers by spreading them out;
Have them spread out with early bird 3pm meals instead of just 4pm ones, have late meals, spreading out hours so customers realize their typical eating hours will have to be a thing of the past in these creative times if they want safe distanced surroundings.
This requires reservation hosts (who should all have fever readers as their tool for employees and customers to enter), to educate the customers on these odd eating hours as well as Governors and administration educating people on changing their habits until we are safe again. Of course these spread out reserved eating hours along with takeout and delivery will help restaurants weather this storm for another few months. The only issue are places with tight kitchens, that will require staff to be verified tested.
You are insane if you think this is realistic.
Not in all cases, each area and restaurant and customer base is different, and they will know their limitations as will city councils. DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE, but most of the US was safe to eat out before and will be after, not all places in the US are over crowded petry dishes.
They may well be safe but perception is the thing.
And on a purely operational note you are asking these places to increase their costs in response to a guarantee of less business. That isn't going to happen.
Sure if they can't offset with pickup and delivery but it's temporary, keep that in mind and being open for employees is as important as is keeping your customer base.

I can see your point if its "temporary" , but a lot of people think this is the New Normal. Social Distancing and wearing hoods on your head

Meet your new waiter, remember to tip it with batteries and hydrolic oil.
waiter2020.jpg

Gloves and masks are going to be the standard for the foreseeable future. Shifting to more carry out and curbside will be Paramount. People aren't going to jam in restaurants and feel great about it.
I will. I find this all bullshit. And you know what there are many of me out there.

You are insane if you think this is realistic.
Not in all cases, each area and restaurant and customer base is different, and they will know their limitations as will city councils. DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE, but most of the US was safe to eat out before and will be after, not all places in the US are over crowded petry dishes.
They may well be safe but perception is the thing.
And on a purely operational note you are asking these places to increase their costs in response to a guarantee of less business. That isn't going to happen.
Sure if they can't offset with pickup and delivery but it's temporary, keep that in mind and being open for employees is as important as is keeping your customer base.

I can see your point if its "temporary" , but a lot of people think this is the New Normal. Social Distancing and wearing hoods on your head
yeah looking like robbers is where our normal is now. hahahahahahahaha what a bunch of sheep these people are. they all be hopping into boxcars shortly and they will enjoy it. that's who these idiots are. they never heard of nazis.

Responsible employers will ensure the safety of their workers and clients. Bad employers will look at gloves and masks with dismay.

This is a restaurant in Atlanta, no mask necessary for the server.
AtlantaRobotServer.jpg

There's going to be restaurant businesses for sale coming up, here's your chance to scoop one up.

There's going to be restaurant businesses for sale coming up, here's your chance to scoop one up.

If a lot fewer people are eating out, why would anyone want to invest money in a rapid shrinking business? You'd be better off investing in an cheap substitute for lysol.

Well you might find one cheap. Delivery to the door with no contact is going to become popular.

So less people will be eating out after guidelines are lifted. Why's that so bad?

Its bad for those who are waitresses and chefs and dishwashers and food critics. Although I guess they can get jobs in the Prison Construction industry as Corrections Corp seeks to design prisons with "social distancing" standards in mind. The idea of group showers and eating in mess halls and doubled up and tripled up cells is over.

Yes. I don't like me the changes happening. But looking at it realistically, many people aren't going to rush out to restaurants and other places and will be making less trips to stores, etc. Businesses will have to adapt and they will.

Yes. I don't like me the changes happening. But looking at it realistically, many people aren't going to rush out to restaurants and other places and will be making less trips to stores, etc. Businesses will have to adapt and they will.

Some will adapt and others will close. Just like during the dawn of the automotive age, those who were working making horseshoes got jobs at horse tracks, and many went into auto repair.

Virtually 100% of the time people go into a restaurant is to be with friends and family and business associates.
How many people are going to want to sit six feet apart from each other?
Nobody!
Want to take your partner out for an intimate private diner? Not if you have to shout at them from six feet away. "Did you remeber the condoms sweetie?!!!!!".
Spread a family of six six feet apart at a restaurant? See how often that will happen again. LOL!
Being served by someone in a mask????????
I don't think so.
Everyone was taking a huge risk already before the virus by eating food prepared by some pimple faced teenager who may or may not have washed their hands after taking a crap a few minutes before he/she dropped your steak on the floor of coughed on your pizza.
Forget restaurants EVER being the same. The traditional 'dining experience' has died with the virus.
The 'new ways' of eating will ironically be the 'old ways'.
Go to the grocery store and go through the treat of getting in the lineup and putting on your mask and sanitizing your hands and making your own food or buy pre cooked meals like the old TV dinners.
Food trucks which come to your neighborhood and sell hot meals you can take inside and eat are maybe a new way.

Restaurants should not change. If liberals are too chickenshit to go to restaurants next month when they reopen, that means a shorter wait for a table. I'll be hitting my favorite restaurants once again.

I don't eat out much, but when I do it's pretty much spaced out and not crowded pretentious places, especially earlier hours are less traffic. When restaurants were still open at the beginning of the reports, people were naturally seperated and it was in a safe non international travel area, so I had no qualms eating at my favorite stop and I believe places like that will go back to normal just as it was then in the beginning of all this, as long as they re-open.
The pretentious tiny restaurants my brother picks there is no way I would attempt them, because they are all small crowded tight seating, so even taking tables out, I would expect those places to struggle to stay open.

Forum List

Back